Cathay pacific airlines

ozerjon

Guest Emcooper

i used them last yr April 08, no problems with them, I was travelling on my own so cant comment on kids etc but I found it fine. I quite enjoyed the food, entertainment, staff very friendly etc. Hadnt flown for a few yrs though so cant really compare it to anything.

I can only comment on my experience but I thought they were awful!

We used them in Dec/Jan.

The planes were very old, on 2 out of the 4 flights (1 stop/changeover each way) our entertainment units didn't work - this was both mine and my OH's. My seat kept reclining - I explained and apologised to the person behind and thankfully they were fine. Told the stewardess but there was nowt they could do (flight full). I don't remember the plane types but again on 2 of the flights they were very, very cramped - similar in size to the type used for short trips to med for example. I am a 5'7'' female of very average build and really struggled - legs cramped all the time and I am normally fine.

I would never use them again, sorry :(

Lyn

Guest proud2beaussie
I can only comment on my experience but I thought they were awful!

We used them in Dec/Jan.

The planes were very old, on 2 out of the 4 flights (1 stop/changeover each way) our entertainment units didn't work - this was both mine and my OH's. My seat kept reclining - I explained and apologised to the person behind and thankfully they were fine. Told the stewardess but there was nowt they could do (flight full). I don't remember the plane types but again on 2 of the flights they were very, very cramped - similar in size to the type used for short trips to med for example. I am a 5'7'' female of very average build and really struggled - legs cramped all the time and I am normally fine.

I would never use them again, sorry :(

Lyn

Sounds like you had a less than perfect experience with them,too late now but you should have sent them an email after the flight giving them details of the problem you experienced,they would have compensated you for the inconvenience.

I have many contacts at Cathay here in Australia and they would have been most disturbed to hear about your discomfort.

I've flown with them dozens of times and only have the highest opinions about them but all airlines stuff up sometimes and Cathay is no different.

They do actually have one of the youngest fleets of any airline but the older aircraft do pop up on the long haul routes from time to time when they are carrying higher passenger loads and this must have been the case when you flew with them.

Sounds like you had a less than perfect experience with them,too late now but you should have sent them an email after the flight giving them details of the problem you experienced,they would have compensated you for the inconvenience.

I have many contacts at Cathay here in Australia and they would have been most disturbed to hear about your discomfort.

I've flown with them dozens of times and only have the highest opinions about them but all airlines stuff up sometimes and Cathay is no different.

They do actually have one of the youngest fleets of any airline but the older aircraft do pop up on the long haul routes from time to time when they are carrying higher passenger loads and this must have been the case when you flew with them.

Hi Nigel

Thanks for your response. It was over the Christmas period so yes I guess higher passenger loads would be the case! I had fully intended to complain on our return to Oz but came down with a bad dose of flu and by the time I'd recovered I'd got to the point of 'what's the point' if you know what I mean! I'm also not much good at following things through when I should really - my fault.

However, given your kind response, maybe I would look into using them again although not during the 'busy' periods as it does appear they are often much cheaper.

Would have to say Hong Kong airport was a fine place to hang around and recharge in between changeovers!

Can I just ask, I know this is a little off topic, but am looking to book flights, one way from London to Bris for my daughter and her boyfriend (who is very tall!!) around Mid October. Any advice, suggestions? - need cheap btw!

Lyn

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Lyn,

If you would like to send me an email (Click on my username) and let me have some details of approximate dates that they would like to travel I would be happy to make up a quote for you.

Also even though it's quite some time ago since you took your flights Cathay would still be interested to hear about your problems with them,if you still have details of the dates and flight numbers and can jot down some details of what happened I will pass them on to my friend at Cathay in Sydney,I can't promise any compensation after this time but they will certainly read your feedback and respond to it quickly.

Cheers

N'OZ

Guest stockies

Hi , we arrived in April from the UK and we used Cathay Pacific and have no complaints. The kids were happy with all the entertainment and everything worked ok, I would definately use them again.

I liked flying Cathay Pacific. Sometimes I THINK? flights may be cheaper than with Qantas/BA because you have to spend more hours at an Asian hub. Have a proper stopover and spend a few nights in Hong Kong.

Asiana are pretty good too. I was suspicious when the agent offered them to me but I wa impressed. They are South Korean.

We are in Oz at the moment (flying back tomorrow) and we are on Cathay.

The first leg was great, 747 with lots of leg room for my heavy 5ft 10 frame! the second leg was a smaller plane and leg room was less, with the old style reclining seats. Not so good. Also the entertainment was less good. But we slept on that one anyway.

DO NOT choose the pork congee for breakfast unless you know what it is (says 12 year old Ben!!!!!)

The pay-in lounge at Hong Kong airport was brilliant, the shower was most welcome, bue the massage hurts if you don't scream at her to stop! No time for that tomorrow, shame.

Hope that helps.

We are in Oz at the moment (flying back tomorrow) and we are on Cathay.

The first leg was great, 747 with lots of leg room for my heavy 5ft 10 frame! the second leg was a smaller plane and leg room was less, with the old style reclining seats. Not so good. Also the entertainment was less good. But we slept on that one anyway.

DO NOT choose the pork congee for breakfast unless you know what it is (says 12 year old Ben!!!!!)

The pay-in lounge at Hong Kong airport was brilliant, the shower was most welcome, bue the massage hurts if you don't scream at her to stop! No time for that tomorrow, shame.

Hope that helps.

Found them perfectly reasonable on our recent trip to the UK although I agree with Bens comment around the Pork Congee, it was awful, luckily Cathay do fine cup noodles :smile:

Guest looseal

I recently travelled to the UK for a short trip(3 days), the first since moving out here 20 months ago, and brought back some excess luggage, some skis, a pair of ski boots, and I agree my main luggage was 32 kgs. However they wanted to charge 5kgs for the skis, 5kgs for the boots and an extra 3kgs for the extra handling?!? Anyway to cut a long story short they asked me for 837.45 GBPs extra for the luggage!!!! That was almost more than I paid for the flight!!!!

They were possibly the most unhelpful people I have ever met, I was in tears as a lot of the stuff was my Nans, who had passed away and hence being back in the UK, and I didn't want to throw her things away. I have travelled with ski's all over the world and have never had to pay for them in that way let alone the extra for handling!

Although the flights were on time, the food was Ok and the entertainment system was very modern, I still can not see past the absolute reluctance to help me in any way shape or form.

I can however recommend the Excess Baggage people at Heathrow they were lovely!!

Archived