Husband ready to snap

AnxiousMum

Guest Perth Princess

Hi AnxiousMum,

I just wanted to say don't even think about moving to Oz because your OH is stressed at work. Migration is a HUGE thing. If you have doubts then take them seriously because they follow you on the plane!!! Late 30's is a funny age to move too, I know 'cos I've done it. I'm 38 now, been here (in Oz) for 9 months and think it is a very strange stage in your life to do it (midlife crisis already around the corner anyway:confused:). I think if you were not convinced on your recce then Oz propbably isn't for you. Good luck with whatever you decide anyway:wubclub:

Hi AnxiousMum,

I just wanted to say don't even think about moving to Oz because your OH is stressed at work. Migration is a HUGE thing. If you have doubts then take them seriously because they follow you on the plane!!! Late 30's is a funny age to move too, I know 'cos I've done it. I'm 38 now, been here (in Oz) for 9 months and think it is a very strange stage in your life to do it (midlife crisis already around the corner anyway:confused:). I think if you were not convinced on your recce then Oz propbably isn't for you. Good luck with whatever you decide anyway:wubclub:

Oh no!! There may be trouble ahead - I am 38 and OH is 40 (soon to be 41!!) Mind you he already had his MLC two years ago. Tend to have mine using large amounts of weird colour hair dye - bright purple last time!! I am a great believer in looking at the worst case scenario - we come out to Oz either love it or hate it. If we hate it we return, costly I know but that in my eyes is the worst that can happen (except for getting eaten or bitten by a creepy crawly or shark!) You only live one life and don't live it with regrets!!

Karen

Guest Perth Princess
Oh no!! There may be trouble ahead - I am 38 and OH is 40 (soon to be 41!!) Mind you he already had his MLC two years ago. Tend to have mine using large amounts of weird colour hair dye - bright purple last time!! I am a great believer in looking at the worst case scenario - we come out to Oz either love it or hate it. If we hate it we return, costly I know but that in my eyes is the worst that can happen (except for getting eaten or bitten by a creepy crawly or shark!) You only live one life and don't live it with regrets!!

Karen

The hair idea is definitely a good way to go!

I'm sure you will be fine in Oz, I only meant it is a difficult time if you are having doubts anyway. Also I do believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I ain't dead yet:laugh: You sound like you enjoy a challenge so I'm sure you will have a great time:wubclub:

The hair idea is definitely a good way to go!

I'm sure you will be fine in Oz, I only meant it is a difficult time if you are having doubts anyway. Also I do believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I ain't dead yet:laugh: You sound like you enjoy a challenge so I'm sure you will have a great time:wubclub:

Hee hee! Actually I am always pushing myself too hard - am currently doing my finals for an OU degree in Psychology with exams in October. Probably arriving in Oz December/January - pressure? what pressure?

I had an interesting chat with my mum this morning (when should have been doing an assignment - this forum appears to be very distracting also oops!) and she told me that apparently when I was born I shouldn't have survived, and if I did I would be severely brain damaged and not leave hospital. So I have come to the conclusion that I am a stubborn little *** who will prove somebody wrong even if it takes my last breath!

Although have to say coming to Oz is viewed as part of my life's adventure, we may arrive and stay for 5/10 years or maybe longer. I may retire to Fiji or NZ - who knows?? All I know is that I am going to grab this opportunity and see where it takes me.

Karen xx

Guest KatyNick
Hi AnxiousMum,

I just wanted to say don't even think about moving to Oz because your OH is stressed at work. Migration is a HUGE thing. If you have doubts then take them seriously because they follow you on the plane!!! Late 30's is a funny age to move too, I know 'cos I've done it. I'm 38 now, been here (in Oz) for 9 months and think it is a very strange stage in your life to do it (midlife crisis already around the corner anyway:confused:). I think if you were not convinced on your recce then Oz propbably isn't for you. Good luck with whatever you decide anyway

God help me and my OH - I'm 42 and he's 44!!! :jiggy: lol

Said it before said it again, others say it all the time any doubts do not do it.

Its hard enough to migrate when all is well in the world, the difference is enormous once you take the plunge, not like being on a reccie or a holiday, completely different and most migrants do not have any family here.

Find out what is really upsetting oh he probably will not tell you but if you can fathom it out and help in someway you probably will find all is well in UK again.

Australia is not a medicine to be taken when we are unwell and need a cure.

I remember your posts and I believe I said to you before at some stage I thought you would probably not like it here.

Said it before said it again, others say it all the time any doubts do not do it.

Its hard enough to migrate when all is well in the world, the difference is enormous once you take the plunge, not like being on a reccie or a holiday, completely different and most migrants do not have any family here.

Find out what is really upsetting oh he probably will not tell you but if you can fathom it out and help in someway you probably will find all is well in UK again.

Australia is not a medicine to be taken when we are unwell and need a cure.

I remember your posts and I believe I said to you before at some stage I thought you would probably not like it here.

It's the same as having a baby getting married etc (all different I know)

Sometimes the stress of it all can tear you apart while in other relationships it can bring you together. A gentel push or shove can help things more than you think, how many times have you done something that you thought wasn't for you and then found out that you had enjoyed it after all. The only way we can grow as people is to push the boundries.

I say go for it, you have a short time to be able to do something like this but a lifetime of regret.

Well it seems I am back on the trail of getting to Australia again!!

It of course was my decision after our reckie to stay in UK. So feel more than a little guilty to hear husband come home from work yesterday to say because of various issues recently he is doing the work of 3 people at the moment and feels he is about to crack. He has even talked about going to the doctors to get signed off with stress.

So I am going to suggest to him tonight that he start to look for home courses to get a qualification in I.T. that the Australian Computer Society are looking for.

I know that its a longshot and, the chances of the skills and visa process changing in the 3 or so years it will take him to complete a course are high. But its a chance he is gonna have to take I think. He obviously needs to make a complete change and I am going to have to try and put my fears and worries about living so far from friends and family aside for his sanity.:sad:

So wish us luck, and either fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you feel about it I am back on PIO with a vengance!!!:laugh:

Welcome back Aum. Sorry its under such circumstances. If we can help, just ask anytime. We are always happy to listen and give (useless) advice. (LOL). Your OH (and Yours) sanity is what matters and you have to take decisions and run with them. Remember this ....the decision you make is the right one at the time. This way there will never be any regrets. I can't even remember where you were fancying in oz. Missed you heap, hope to be chatting again soon. I hoping to get my house on the market in September at a price to sell and hope to be in Perth by Christmas. Keily has gone, Roo has his visa and Midlanders have lodged. Hope thats enough catch up for now. Hope to chat soon x x x

ooops just noticed its says Melbourne just there on the right lol x x

Hi,

I agree with Petals to a degree, but I do think I was basing my decision not to make the move on the horrendous flight mostly. Our eldest also caught a nasty chill on the plane too and wasnt very well 3 days in. Yep I know how stupid is that.

I remember it being day 4 of the reckie and me sitting on Port Melbourne beach watching the kids playing and I just thought, "can I do this permanently"? I started to think of the flight, distance and fact if someone gets ill back in UK its not as easy as hopping back on a plane.

I do agree that we all need to be onboard with the decision, and think the 3 years or so we will need to wait should give me plenty of food for thought.

Great to hear that all the old gang are still around and most of you are on your way to hopefully a better place. xx

Welcome back Aum. Sorry its under such circumstances. If we can help, just ask anytime. We are always happy to listen and give (useless) advice. (LOL). Your OH (and Yours) sanity is what matters and you have to take decisions and run with them. Remember this ....the decision you make is the right one at the time. This way there will never be any regrets. I can't even remember where you were fancying in oz. Missed you heap, hope to be chatting again soon. I hoping to get my house on the market in September at a price to sell and hope to be in Perth by Christmas. Keily has gone, Roo has his visa and Midlanders have lodged. Hope thats enough catch up for now. Hope to chat soon x x x

ooops just noticed its says Melbourne just there on the right lol x x

Hi hun,

Great to speak to you again, just gonna chill a bit and see what happens me thinks. Not going to go in all guns blazing like I was last time. I was soo impatient to see if we liked it. Great to hear you are well on your way now. Defo keep in touch this time. I want a holiday in Perth at some point. lmao xxxx

Hi,

I agree with Petals to a degree, but I do think I was basing my decision not to make the move on the horrendous flight mostly. Our eldest also caught a nasty chill on the plane too and wasnt very well 3 days in. Yep I know how stupid is that.

I remember it being day 4 of the reckie and me sitting on Port Melbourne beach watching the kids playing and I just thought, "can I do this permanently"? I started to think of the flight, distance and fact if someone gets ill back in UK its not as easy as hopping back on a plane.

I do agree that we all need to be onboard with the decision, and think the 3 years or so we will need to wait should give me plenty of food for thought.

Great to hear that all the old gang are still around and most of you are on your way to hopefully a better place. xx

I think the comment re someone being ill and not getting back in time to UK is the one fly in the ointment for everybody. My Mum recently was rushed into hospital having collapsed, we got their in two hours which I think my Dad found very comforting BUT it dawned on me I couldn't actually change anything with my Mum's health and it made me think of things differnetly. Yes it takes longer to get back from Oz, but my Mum wouldn't want me hanging around here 'just in case'. Thankfully she made a recovery this time. Although if one of my parents had an ongoing illness such as the BIG C maybe I couldn't leave???

We each make our decision based on the facts before us at the time, it didn't feel right before but you have changed as a result of it. Worst case scenario - you go out again you hate it you come back. The UK isn't going anywhere - yes financially it's a hit to go and come back but at least you won't be living the 'what if' scenario for the next 30 years or more!!

Karen

The thing i just thought i'd mention re anxiousmum is.............. i had a mate "gary" who moved to perth,he loved it on the reccie they went on,he had other mates over in perth as well( all brickies who he + i worked with),so he was dying to get over there,his wife was VERY clannish with her family and felt the same as anxiousmum re the move,SHE didnt want to go,so trouble ahead you assume! anyway....... after 6months over there it was GARY who decided he didnt like oz!,NOT his mrs who told him "you can go back if you want,but me and the kids are staying!". so gary had to come "home" to lpool for a funeral anyway so his mrs told him to "think about what he wanted to do" while he was home,so gary goes to the wake in his local pub,same old faces,big punch up etc,and says to himself " wtf am i missing!"lol,so off he went back to perth and everyone is now living "happilly ever after":hug:lmao! so the point im making is............you cant REALY tell how things are going to turn out/how you will feel untill you actually live there can you?

Guest Toorak Trev
Hi Karen,

Yeah unfortunately although hubby has I.T. experience its only 3 years. The ACS are looking for 6 years experience at least. Thats why i think we are gonna wait and try and get him doing a qualification in the meantime. We are hoping for some visa changes. So at the moment we are definately looking at another 3 years here, or until he finishes a qualification that not only ties in with his current work but one that the ACS will accept too.

Hello Karen

For what its worth these are my thoughts:

Any move to better yourself through increased skill set or academic qualification is a good move. What happens over 3 years may change ie visa requirements/Melbourne job market. But by doing something he will have be in a better position to deal with it in 3 years time.

The world is a strange place by which I mean one door closes and yet another door opens. The only thing of certainty is that you must move forward constantly with positive attitude and direction.

The degree in itself is not important. Its the attainment of a degree that is.

Hello Karen

For what its worth these are my thoughts:

Any move to better yourself through increased skill set or academic qualification is a good move. What happens over 3 years may change ie visa requirements/Melbourne job market. But by doing something he will have be in a better position to deal with it in 3 years time.

The world is a strange place by which I mean one door closes and yet another door opens. The only thing of certainty is that you must move forward constantly with positive attitude and direction.

The degree in itself is not important. Its the attainment of a degree that is.

Thanks for that! I keep hoping that the fact that I am doing the degree will get me somewhere in the future, although when you tell people you are a housewife with two kids and you don't WORK - they judge you on it. Maybe they see me as a 'lady that does lunch' - can't actually remember the last time I went out for lunch!! If I say I am doing full-time study as well it just doesn't add up to them!! I have long since learnt to ignore the attitude, but it does annoy me all the same.

All that being said I am thinking to myself, if I can manage to get my degree, move the family to Oz and we all come out in one piece - that's not a bad acheivement!!

Karen

Guest wiccanwitch

hi A.M

sorry havent been on for such a long time but have had my own probs to deal with

i agree with roo it really dosnt matter what other people think

like as said before just make sure you go in with your eyes wide open

good luck hun xx:smile:

Hi hun,

Great to speak to you again, just gonna chill a bit and see what happens me thinks. Not going to go in all guns blazing like I was last time. I was soo impatient to see if we liked it. Great to hear you are well on your way now. Defo keep in touch this time. I want a holiday in Perth at some point. lmao xxxx

You will be very welcome anytime x x

• 2 years later...
This isnt just a newbie you are talking to you know!!!! And believe it or not I do understand how the ACS works thanks very much. Not going into it all now, but my husband has lots of experience just not the qualifications needed. He and I both know what qualifications he needs and they WILL match up with what his current job description aswell.

I'm not picking a fight here, but are you sure you know how the ACS works? If your husband has plenty of relevant experience then he doesn't need any qualifications whatsoever and he would go down the RPL (recognition of prior learning) route with the ACS rather than trying to get a qualification.

HTH

Tarby

I'm not picking a fight here, but are you sure you know how the ACS works? If your husband has plenty of relevant experience then he doesn't need any qualifications whatsoever and he would go down the RPL (recognition of prior learning) route with the ACS rather than trying to get a qualification.

HTH

Tarby

Is it just me or are you commenting on a thread that had the last post 3 years ago?

NWM

Archived