Good schools in Point Cook?

Maz

Hi,

After my post yesterday regarding maybe having to change our plans and move to Melton area, it seems we are sticking with Werribee / Point Cook.

Have researched & decided on Werribee schools but noticed there is a lot more rental properties available in Point Cook just now so could anyone recommend good schools there, primary & colleges (for 10 & 14 year olds).

cheers

Maz x

Hi Maz

Congratulations on getting the house sold. You must be looking forward to your new life over here. Don't really know much about the schools but my friends kids go to Point Cook Primary and they seem to like it and I know some other people are taking there kids out of other schools to go there. I also think they have a high school, do you want me to look into it for you?

We are in the process of buying a house in Manor Lakes, Wyndham Vale which is a new estate about 10mins from Point Cook. At the moment its just getting developed but over the next few years its going to be massive. It also has new schools and a shopping centre which is going to be huge. We just can't justify the price of land in Point Cook, its just went through the roof, its ridiculous! Take care and if you need any more help, just let me know.

Keep in touch and we'll need to meet up when you arrive

Valerie

x

I don't know about Point Cook for schools etc, I haven't been down there since I served at RAAF Base Point Cook 30 years ago, but I believe it is all housing estates now.

One of my consultants lives at Werribee and his mother is a teacher at MacKillop College. I believe that is one of the better schools in the area.

It is run by the Catholic Church but takes all denominations. Although fees are payable, unlike Govt. run schools, they are not overly expensive.

For info:

MacKillop College Werribee

Hi Valerie,

Just researched Manor Lakes and it looks amazing and house prices a lot better than Point Cook.

Was starting to get really excited about it until i read that it doesn't have any secondary colleges in it yet. My son is 14 and needs to start yr 9 when we get there which is such a shame the schools not done yet, do you happen to know what school Manor Lakes would be catchment area for?

We will be renting for a while before we can buy anywhere as we've lost so much on the value of our house in uk but im sure i've seen rentals advertised within Manor Lakes so might be able to do that.

ps do you know if they're building any houses with pools !?! Can't believe how few houses have them, my kids are going to be VERY disappointed, decided not to tell them just now incase they don't want to go lol

Thanks

Maz x

Hi Les,

Thanks for the advice, will look into MacKillop College. Unfortunately there seems to be a severe lack of rental properties in Werribee just now so think we might have to look slightly further out.

Interesting that you served at RAAF Base Point Cook, my 14 yr old son is very interested in joining RAAF and that is one of the reasons we are looking at that area.

Thanks

Maz

Hi Maz,

The whole area has boomed in the last 15 years or so. There is a very high percentage of home ownership in Australia and usually most investor owned properties are in the more inner suburbs because most investors are looking for capital gains and the rental goes towards their loan repayments.

I wouldn't be too fussed about living in that area simply for your son's possible RAAF interest. If he were to join he would either start off in Wagga Wagga in southern N.S.W. if he were to commence an apprenticeship, otherwise it could possibly be in Canberra.

If it were me I would be looking to find somewhere reasonably close to work as commuting can be a real nightmare and it is almost impossible to get by without two cars, especially if you are in the outer suburbs.

Les

Hi Maz

As far as i'm aware Manor Lakes is catchment to schools in Werribee and I think they run buses too. Also I thought one of the schools in Manor Lakes was up to year 12, maybe I'm mistaken?

You will be able to get a rental in Manor Lakes no problem, if you look at this address Properties for Rent | wyndhamlakes.com.au

hopefully you will find something.

As far as getting a house built with a pool, you would need to speak to builders about land size. You might be able to buy something already established with a pool but to be honest we haven't seen many houses with pools! Sorry to disappoint the kids.

Take care and let us know if you need any help or advice (remember Joe's a plumber too)

Valerie

x

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Les,

Interesting that you served at RAAF Base Point Cook, my 14 yr old son is very interested in joining RAAF and that is one of the reasons we are looking at that area.

Thanks

Maz

Hi Maz

Like Les has said don't base your decision where to rent based on the RAAF Base unless you are meaning for the cadets Welcome to the Australian Air Force Cadets - Headquarters Australian Airforce Cadets the 4 wing headquarters is based there and I think it is SQN 404 he could join on a Monday night . There are however, other SQN around Melbourne so you should find one close by wherever you choose to live.

My son is currently with the AAFC and is hoping to get in to ADFA (Australian Defence Force Academy)

In regards to long term rentals there are currently 96 rentals in Werribee

Search Results for WERRIBEE, Victoria - Rental Properties - realestate.com.au

However, there are not many short term furnished rentals, but as these would be a temporary step you don't have to be in Werribee but maybe look in surrounding areas.

Kate:wubclub:

Hi Valerie

You're right about the catchment area for schools being Werribee which is great news for me as i have already arranged things with Werribee Primary & secondary college.

The school thats in Manor Lakes only seems to go up to Yr7 just now but has plans to go to yr 12 in the next few years. Have e-mailed the school to see if they can give me any more info and an idea of dates etc.

Really keen on Manor Lakes the more i read about it. The website you mentioned only had 2 available rentals but realestate.com.au has over 30 available so keeping our fingers crossed we get something ok. Have read a few posts on here about people struggling to get rentals without previous references, hope we get one ok as have only booked our furnished rental for 3 wks when arrive,any tips?

Cheers

Maz x

Hi Kate,

Yes my son is interested in joining the cadets aswell. We had already decided on the west to be honest but my son has never been too happy about us moving until he found out the cadets etc was near Werribee and now hes fine about it all.

Forgot to mention before that we need to rent a 4 bed house, which theres only about 8 in Werribee, as my parents are coming over in a few months and will be staying with us for a while until they find somewhere to buy, so this has cut our options down a bit. However have found a lot of 4 bed rentals in either Point Cook or Wyndham Vale so will have a proper look at them when arrive next month.

Spoke to you before about furnished rentals for first few weeks and unfortunately your properties were booked, just to let you know we've found one in Sydenham (florentine villas) booked it for 3 weeks, keeping fingers crossed we find a long term rental within that time or we might be camping out in werribee zoo lol.

Maz x

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate,

Yes my son is interested in joining the cadets aswell. We had already decided on the west to be honest but my son has never been too happy about us moving until he found out the cadets etc was near Werribee and now hes fine about it all.

Forgot to mention before that we need to rent a 4 bed house, which theres only about 8 in Werribee, as my parents are coming over in a few months and will be staying with us for a while until they find somewhere to buy, so this has cut our options down a bit. However have found a lot of 4 bed rentals in either Point Cook or Wyndham Vale so will have a proper look at them when arrive next month.

Spoke to you before about furnished rentals for first few weeks and unfortunately your properties were booked, just to let you know we've found one in Sydenham (florentine villas) booked it for 3 weeks, keeping fingers crossed we find a long term rental within that time or we might be camping out in werribee zoo lol.

Maz x

Hi Maz

Unfortunately, you will find a lot of the older properties were 3 bedrooms, however, most new builds are now 4beds and you will find plenty in Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes areas.

That's great news about the short term rental, yes I am sorry we couldn't help, we have lots of new properties being added at the moment and I have at least another 30 waiting to be put on the site, but still not many in the West:no:

I am sure 3 weeks should be ok, just make sure you have the rental applications completed before you go to the OFI's and have a look before you leave the UK to see what is available and what is coming up for OFI.

Who knows if your son joins the AAFC we may meet up at the annual parades.

Kate:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate

Sorry to be so thick but what do you mean by OFI?

Maz x

Sorry Maz, it is Open For Isnpections, 98% of the rental properties do not do private viewings and the house will be OFI (Open for Inspection) once this is usually a Saturday and for around 10 - 15 minutes. Everyone who is interested in the rental will arrive at the same time and view the house.

Kate

Oh my god - you'd never believe i've worked in estate agents for over 10 years would you lol lol, looks like i'll need to brush up on my ozzie real estate terminology before i've got a hope in hell of getting a job with them (should still have been able to work that one out)!!

My hubbys still laughing at me!

Maz (with a very red face)! x

Guest The Pom Queen
Oh my god - you'd never believe i've worked in estate agents for over 10 years would you lol lol, looks like i'll need to brush up on my ozzie real estate terminology before i've got a hope in hell of getting a job with them (should still have been able to work that one out)!!

My hubbys still laughing at me!

Maz (with a very red face)! x

PMSL:jiggy:

Just wait till you have to learn all the new laws etc, and not all the states are the same, I know when i did mine it was a minefield.:wubclub:

Maz

To get our rental in Point Cook, we didn't have references we just had to email copies of passport, utility bills and proof we had a mortgage in the uk. Also try and register with estate agents and tell them your situation as when you view you will be competing with many other applicants. Also the more rent you can pay in advance the better chance you have of securing a rental.

Glad you have decided on Manor Lakes for a rental initially we will meet up when you arrive. Also is your furniture on its way? Did your mum and dad get there visa too?

keep in touch

Valerie

x

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for the rental tips, will make sure we've registered and got everything you've mentioned.

Furnitures not leaving until around the same time as we are but not bringing that much to be honest so will just buy what we need when we get there.

My mum & dad are coming out on temporary visas until their parent visa goes through, probably about the year 2040!! So staying with us when they first arrive until they find property to buy, hopefully near where we are.

How long have yous been there now and are you all settled, happy and got jobs ok?

Maz x

Hi Maz

We've been here 5 mths now and still loving it. Joe's working in the north of the city with a plumbing firm and enjoys what he does. I'm not working as the kids are still young and will think about when they go to school.

A bit of advice for you, when we arrived we spent about $25k in the first 2 weeks and that was us bringing everything over from the UK. We had to buy car, fridge freezer, tv etc so try and bring as much as you can as its quite expensive.

We're looking forward to moving to Manor Lakes and we have some friends who are moving there too once there house is completed in Feb. We're not fussed about renting and just want to have something thats ours.

Take care and keep in touch

Valerie

x

Archived