TIMELINE - Citizenship application & Citizenship Ceremony

Guest angkorgo99

Guest angkorgo99

I have noticed many individuals inquiring about the time it takes to concretize one's citizenship. If you have details regarding your citizenship application, please add it here :-)

I'm still waiting for a citizenship ceremony and am wondering how long it will take before I receive word of a date...!

Key details that would help include (my dates are noted below for other's reference)

Current location: Sydney, NSW

Date called DIMIA to schedule citizenship test: 15 Jan 2009

Date took citizenship test: 29 May 2009

Location of citizenship test: Paramatta

Date submitted citizenship application: 29 May 2009

How submitted citizenship application: IN PERSON

Date received approval: 2 Jun 2009 (dated 1 Jun 2009)

Date received citizenship ceremony date: Waiting.....

Assigned citizenship ceremony date: Waiting.....

Thanks in advance for everyon'e help!

And all the best to those still waiting!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have noticed many individuals inquiring about the time it takes to concretize one's citizenship. If you have details regarding your citizenship application, please add it here :-)

Have to say what a good word that is ! .......CONCRETIZE ! I'm gonna make a note of it and try and fit it into everyday coversation. Maybe , instead of telling my son to "harden the f*** up" , I could say "Hey why don't you CONCRETIZE".

Thanks awfully :wink:

Guest JoanneHattersley

Test booked 7th Jan 09

Test done 20th MArch 09

Application submitted 23rd MArch

Approved 30th March

Ceremony date letter sent 5th May

Cerempny 6th June 2009!

Test booked December 18th

Test taken February 2nd

Citizenship Application made the same day

Application Approved 19th February

Ceremony Invitation 28th April

Ceremony June 18th

We were informed that you may have to wait upto 6 months for a ceremony, it depends on how frequently your nominated shire has them (ours does them monthly). When we did ours there were about 6 groups of 14 people

• 1 year later...
Guest coombsie66

Hi everyone - hate to resurect ancient threads but this one did appear to be the most informative in terms of Aus Citizenship processing times!

As a brit now with Aus Permanent Residence I will be eligible for and applying for my Australian Citizenship as of April 8th this year (2011) but I understand there have been a few changes in the application process since the most recent posts on this site with regards to citizenship; from older posts it would appear you used to be able to pre-book tests/interviews some way in advance but I have been informed this is no longer possible and the online application is the best way to go...?

I was wondering whether anyone else who has been/is going through the process of applying for Australian Citizenship recently would be kind enough to post their timescales from application to approval to ceremony??

All recent timescales I seem to be able to find on the Citizenship Website are fairly ambiguous and due to the requirement that you must be in the country when a decision is made on your application, it makes future international travel arrangements fairly difficult!

Any ideas of current processing times from anyone in the same boat would be greatfully received!

Cheers,

Coombsie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest whynow

Hi

One of the recent timeline.

Applied online: 06 Sep 2011

Test taken: 05 Oct 2011

Approved: 31 Oct 2011

Ceremony: 14 Dec 2011

• 2 months later...
Guest anishsuresh

Some more latest one.

Date Applied for Citizenship: 9th Nov

Date took citizenship test: 9th Dec

Date Approved: waiting

Date Citizenship letter:Waiting

Date Got citizenship: Waiting

• 3 months later...

no mate, from what ive heard it takes more time if you apply from a regional area, i live in a metro city which is brisbane, its been more then a month i have not received a letter yet for citizenship test invitation, I guess the brisbane office are really busy these days.

• 6 months later...

just a question in regard to recent timeline of citizenship application, this forum is old but the best forum I have found for application!

does anyone have a recent timeline in any state?

submitted: 29th august

test took: 2nd of October

approval and ceremony: waiting

Applied Online: 23rd May, 2012

Test: 10th Sept, 2012 (had to reschedule due to work travel)

Approved: 10th Sept, 2012

Ceremony: waiting

Applied online: 25 Oct 2012

Email received from DIAC: NOT YET

Test taken: WAITING

Approved: WAITING

Ceremony: WAITING

Do we have to take form 1195 with us for the appointment? or Do i have to scan it and attach it with the online application? Pls help you new citizens!!

I am unfortunately pretty frustrated with the citizenship process. Applied on 7th July this year, approved on 8th August and still waiting.

I have not been invited to the November ceremony and the council confirmed there won`t be ceremonies in December.

They are not sure will they have one on Australia day.

So I will be waiting at least 6 months and likely more.

Council is Canada Bay Sydney.

I am unfortunately pretty frustrated with the citizenship process. Applied on 7th July this year, approved on 8th August and still waiting.

I have not been invited to the November ceremony and the council confirmed there won`t be ceremonies in December.

They are not sure will they have one on Australia day.

So I will be waiting at least 6 months and likely more.

Council is Canada Bay Sydney.

My colleague passed his test back in April and is still waiting for ceremony dates....(Hornsby council, I think)

Archived