TIMELINE - Citizenship application & Citizenship Ceremony

Guest angkorgo99

Guest The Pom Queen
He has already explained why - if he goes away and notifies DIAC, he will need to wait for his ceremony all over again upon his return, and who knows how long it will take. If he doesn't notify DIAC, he might miss his ceremony, as they don't give you much notice. We don't expect the department to run around for us, all we want is a more definite timeline of the process. I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to ask for.

Does it matter if he has to wait again for his ceremony. As he is going for citizenship he will have PR. We could have got ours in 2006 but waited until 2008 as there is no rush unless you are desperate to vote. The user has said he needs to see family ASAP, if he needs to go then there is nothing stopping him, unless he is wanting citizenship because he isn't returning?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest IPnetwork

Hi Zeeshu

Mine's pretty much same,

Applied online - 2 Nov

Ack --7 Nov

appointment date--20 Nov

approval --20 nov...

Penrith Council --NSW

Your citizenship ceremony will happen when it happens. Just let DIAC know you are going out of the country on a holiday and ask them to reschedule your citizenship ceremony at a later date when you return.

It matters since the citizenship has already been approved. Thus, we qualify for it as a right, but are prevented from using that right for long periods of time (even a year or longer) just because of stupid one hour ceremony. There is a range of disadvantages I may bear as a consequence of not being able to claim the citizenship right I was given, for example: I do not qualify for government jobs which limits my employment prospects, I would require visas to travel or transit through a few countries which would not be an issue with Australian passport (for example I need visas for Malaysia and Thailand through which I would most likely need to pass on the trip to Europe, I also need a visa for UK - cheapest flights from OZ to Europe are to London).

If I get an employment opportunity overseas or simply decide to move back home or elsewhere I can`t since I have to wait for the citizenship. My freedom of movement is seriously breached.

Finally, it is completely unnecessarily stressful not to have a slightest idea when will it happen.

And there might be much worse consequences of not being able to exercise the citizenship right. For example I have a few Korean friends; in South Korea all males have to spend two years in the military service (a few countries have this obligation like Singapore also). Thus even though they have their Korean passport they cannot go back to Korea or even to some other countires which might extradict them back to Korea where they might be forced to military.

Even more serious situation is with North Korean citizens who are often executed after extradiction to their native country.

A few people have passports which can get them into trouble or inconveniencies when travelling like citizens of Iraq, Afghanistan who are regularly searched at airports, taken to hospitals for search of possible drugs stored internally.

Somalis don`t even have a state, their passport is worthless since it is not recognised by anyone as it can be bought for 50 dollars.

Israeli citizens cannot go to any Muslim countries with their passport.

In a few African and Middle Eastern countires being gay is punishable by death. Thus without an Australian passport gay people risk a lot by going there.

People might suffer extremely seriously just because of a one hour ceremony!

Please don`t assume everyone is in the same position like yourself.

I have some friends from Singapore - I believe they are not allowed to have duel citizenship and they would prefare to remain Singaporean. They also feel it their duty to serve their national service and didn't want to escape it. Both the UK and Australia has National Service in the 1960's and whilst to be re-introduced as some point if entry to the armed forces continutes drop then I guess it could be something that governments migh consider again.

Guest Oliver John Williams

Test done:9th October 12

Approved: Sometime in the middle and received letter

Ceremony 6th Dec 2012

Where: Braidwood NSW: Council Chambers

Council: Palerang

It really depends on where and when you do your test, councils with smaller demographics can process ceremony more quickly.

My family are all really excited and it means my father can apply for a different job, and get security clearance upgraded.

Test done:9th October 12

Approved: Sometime in the middle and received letter

Ceremony 6th Dec 2012

Where: Braidwood NSW: Council Chambers

Council: Palerang

It really depends on where and when you do your test, councils with smaller demographics can process ceremony more quickly.

My family are all really excited and it means my father can apply for a different job, and get security clearance upgraded.

Same here, the ability to work for government is a very big deal.

I did my test in July and still waiting.

I have some friends from Singapore - I believe they are not allowed to have duel citizenship and they would prefare to remain Singaporean. They also feel it their duty to serve their national service and didn't want to escape it. Both the UK and Australia has National Service in the 1960's and whilst to be re-introduced as some point if entry to the armed forces continutes drop then I guess it could be something that governments migh consider again.

I don`t understand why you keep justifying completely silly rule of waiting for months or even a year for a one hour ceremony which one is notified of 2-4 weeks in advance. Everyone`s situation is different and I believe noone should unnecessarily suffer unless there is a very good reason for it. For example I am a pacifist and a buddhist-vegetarian. I cannot participate in the military and would rather go to jail than hold a weapon. In my home country I had the ability to serve military as a civilian which I did in an orphanage. It was 50% longer in lenght than regular military service. It is not always due to selfishness that people avoid military service, take the dual citizenship or give up previous citizenships. Please don`t make assumptions and point fingers since you don`t know personal circumstances of other people. I sympathise equally with all the people who are suffering due to the ridicilous citizenship procedure whether it is due to something you might consider `minor` like not being able to plan a holiday or a crucial issue like death, marriage, birth etc.

I don`t understand why you keep justifying completely silly rule of waiting for months or even a year for a one hour ceremony which one is notified of 2-4 weeks in advance. Everyone`s situation is different and I believe noone should unnecessarily suffer unless there is a very good reason for it. For example I am a pacifist and a buddhist-vegetarian. I cannot participate in the military and would rather go to jail than hold a weapon. In my home country I had the ability to serve military as a civilian which I did in an orphanage. It was 50% longer in lenght than regular military service. It is not always due to selfishness that people avoid military service, take the dual citizenship or give up previous citizenships. Please don`t make assumptions and point fingers since you don`t know personal circumstances of other people. I sympathise equally with all the people who are suffering due to the ridicilous citizenship procedure whether it is due to something you might consider `minor` like not being able to plan a holiday or a crucial issue like death, marriage, birth etc.

I wasn't justifying a rule, but responding to your post regarding people getting citizenship to avoid a number of things in their own country from perseuction to national service. I wasn't making any reference to you in my post but commenting on two particular friends of mine and making a comment regarding national service in general and wondering if it will ever be brought back as recruitment numbers are dropping - I can't see where I pointed the finger at you (didn't mention the word you at anytime), nor make assumptions .. I was just replying to the post you made.

I sincerely hope that you get your citizenship soon and you can go and enjoy your holiday with your family.

You really need to get over this as you are sounding so "precious"..... Be happy and grateful that Australia has welcomed you into it's fold. If you don't like the way you are being treated then maybe you need to seriously think about whether you should take up the incredibly wonderful offer you have of being an Australian Citizen.

It matters since the citizenship has already been approved. Thus, we qualify for it as a right, but are prevented from using that right for long periods of time (even a year or longer) just because of stupid one hour ceremony. There is a range of disadvantages I may bear as a consequence of not being able to claim the citizenship right I was given, for example: I do not qualify for government jobs which limits my employment prospects, I would require visas to travel or transit through a few countries which would not be an issue with Australian passport (for example I need visas for Malaysia and Thailand through which I would most likely need to pass on the trip to Europe, I also need a visa for UK - cheapest flights from OZ to Europe are to London).

If I get an employment opportunity overseas or simply decide to move back home or elsewhere I can`t since I have to wait for the citizenship. My freedom of movement is seriously breached.

Finally, it is completely unnecessarily stressful not to have a slightest idea when will it happen.

Wow, what a rediculous post!!!

You say DIAC should give some people an Urgent Ceremony on the grounds that they would have to perform military service if they travel home?? Well, please check out the Citizenship website again! Every citiyenship comes with rights and obligations. Australians are ment to defend this country should the need arise.

You cant be serious about this comment: "In a few African and Middle Eastern countires being gay is punishable by death. Thus without an Australian passport gay people risk a lot by going there.".

Are you saying that all countries except Australia are identifying homosexual citizens as such in der passports, hence only the Australian passport will hide this fact from African and Middle Eastern countries?

Or do you think an Australian passport would give some sort of protection in other jurisdictions? Guess what... It doesnt. These countries wont apply different laws just because you hold another citizenship.

Go to your nearest DIAC and talk to them in person. Explain your situation. If they think you might classify for an urgent ceremony, then they'll give you the relevant contact details of the team that is in charge of these. If they dont, then I guess you do not face any real hardship and just have to wait as everyone else. The system isnt "rotten" because of this. If everyone could get an urgent ceremony, then there wouldnt be any accelerated ceremonies anymore.

You really need to get over this as you are sounding so "precious"..... Be happy and grateful that Australia has welcomed you into it's fold. If you don't like the way you are being treated then maybe you need to seriously think about whether you should take up the incredibly wonderful offer you have of being an Australian Citizen.

Everything is based on interest. Citizenship is not given as a gift, Australia gives it to people who have the skills, experience and capital. I brought into this country +50K and in the meantime paid +65K in taxes and fees related to visas, PR and citizenship. Never used any social benefits, once went for a check up at GP. And this is business like any other, as a customer I expect superior customer service for my hard earned money (which I provide at my job, otherwise my contracts would not be extended). DIAC`s service is crap, end of story.

Wow, what a rediculous post!!!

You say DIAC should give some people an Urgent Ceremony on the grounds that they would have to perform military service if they travel home?? Well, please check out the Citizenship website again! Every citiyenship comes with rights and obligations. Australians are ment to defend this country should the need arise.

You cant be serious about this comment: "In a few African and Middle Eastern countires being gay is punishable by death. Thus without an Australian passport gay people risk a lot by going there.".

Are you saying that all countries except Australia are identifying homosexual citizens as such in der passports, hence only the Australian passport will hide this fact from African and Middle Eastern countries?

Or do you think an Australian passport would give some sort of protection in other jurisdictions? Guess what... It doesnt. These countries wont apply different laws just because you hold another citizenship.

Go to your nearest DIAC and talk to them in person. Explain your situation. If they think you might classify for an urgent ceremony, then they'll give you the relevant contact details of the team that is in charge of these. If they dont, then I guess you do not face any real hardship and just have to wait as everyone else. The system isnt "rotten" because of this. If everyone could get an urgent ceremony, then there wouldnt be any accelerated ceremonies anymore.

I am not defending any idea, flag or anything else with weapons. If anyone or anything demands it they can stick their carrot up their bottoms.

Of course I am serious, no poor African or Islamic country would dare execute a gay person who is an Australian citizen. They depend on humanitarian aid and development assistance.

You people are not citizens, you are obedient servants. Democracy is not for you. Public opinion, debate and critique exists in order to improve public services and rights of all citizens. People who think everyone should agree with whatever government decides or put in place do not deserve their rights.

Guest GeorgeD
Everything is based on interest. Citizenship is not given as a gift, Australia gives it to people who have the skills, experience and capital. I brought into this country +50K and in the meantime paid +65K in taxes and fees related to visas, PR and citizenship. Never used any social benefits, once went for a check up at GP. And this is business like any other, as a customer I expect superior customer service for my hard earned money (which I provide at my job, otherwise my contracts would not be extended). DIAC`s service is crap, end of story.

And yet Citizenship is not granted on the basis of any of the things you have brought or earned. You can have no skills, no qualifications, never have had a job, been in and out of doctors for various reasons and still qualify for Citizenship just as completely as a multimillionaire brainsurgeon turned rocket scientist who does a lot of work for charity. You gain Citizenship by legally living in Australia, sitting the test and then going through a Citizenship ceremony. Nothing else. Your hard earned money is in your pocket whether you are a Citizen or not. You have PR so it's all yours. Clearly you would be in favour of an increase in taxes to pay for more Citizenship ceremonies and more staff in DIAC to speed up the process?

All the ranting isn't going to help. I know from personal experience that wating for anything DIAC does is painful and can have mind altering effects. I'm going to give you some advice that was given to me a while back. On reflection it was really good advice. I struggled with it at the time and it really wasn't what I wanted to hear, but in retrospect it was the most insightful thing anyone said to me during the visa process, and it will have the same impact on your citizenship process. Here it is: Stop moaning, just wait, it'll happen when it happens and not before...and anything you do to complain is just upsetting yourself.

As another poster has said, if you feel your life is at risk due to the delay in your citizenship ceremony, by all means contact DIAC to explain.

And yet Citizenship is not granted on the basis of any of the things you have brought or earned. You can have no skills, no qualifications, never have had a job, been in and out of doctors for various reasons and still qualify for Citizenship just as completely as a multimillionaire brainsurgeon turned rocket scientist who does a lot of work for charity. You gain Citizenship by legally living in Australia, sitting the test and then going through a Citizenship ceremony. Nothing else.

Not granted on the basis of any of the things you have brought or earned? http://www.smh.com.au/national/wonky-values-in-golden-ticket-visa-program-20121122-29sxo.html

You can have no skills and qualifications if you come on a refugee or family visa. That`s it. All others which I am part of worked bloody damn hard to obtain qualifications, work experience and constantly improve our skills.

Immigration to Australia is a big business. Most people come here expecting a financial benefit and this country grants them stay and citizenship in expectation of a financial benefit from them through income and investment taxes. That is the raw truth behind the flags, coat of arms, patriotism etc. It is pure market exchange same as purchasing a product in a supermarket.

Please stop bragging about all the money you have paid for visas and taxes. Everyone has or is doing that. You don't pay taxes to qualify as a citizen. How much have you actually contributed to society? As in volunteering for example? Do you spend your weekends at the beach with a four quartered cap to save life's for free, do you help out at the local hospital? I think theses things matter, not just paying taxes as everyone else.

It's funny how you are already deciding who should have the right to be a citizen. To be honest, as an Aussie myself, I'm not too thrilled about the idea of you being granted citizenship eventually, something that you just see as a thing you buy by paying fee, and not seeing that you become part of that country.

Why don't you contact the local mp if you really want to change something about the citizenship process? That's how democracy works in australia. But im sure that once you attended the ceremony, you couldn't care less how long people have to wait.

Not granted on the basis of any of the things you have brought or earned? http://www.smh.com.au/national/wonky-values-in-golden-ticket-visa-program-20121122-29sxo.html

You can have no skills and qualifications if you come on a refugee or family visa. That`s it. All others which I am part of worked bloody damn hard to obtain qualifications, work experience and constantly improve our skills.

Immigration to Australia is a big business. Most people come here expecting a financial benefit and this country grants them stay and citizenship in expectation of a financial benefit from them through income and investment taxes. That is the raw truth behind the flags, coat of arms, patriotism etc. It is pure market exchange same as purchasing a product in a supermarket.

As you are told being a citizen has responsibilities towards the country or its people , respect and tolerance , obviously you are short in both , so as the acronym goes FIFO and its nowt to do with flying

Guest Guest26012

You and lots of others have come with skills, money etc! You just need to wait your turn like anyone else! You sound very angry! It's just how it is! We waited six months from test to ceremony but was worth the wait!just respect that's how things are! You live in Australia and no matter how much you whinge and complain it won't alter things so get on with it!

Guest GeorgeD

OK, I've read the article. Don't really see the point you're trying to make. Skills, qualifications and money can all go towards making you more or less eligible for a visa. When it comes to Citizenship they go for absolutely nothing. If someone enters on the visa from your link they will eventually get Permanent Residency. Then they will eventually be eligible for Citizenship, using exactly the same criteria as me, you, and everyone else. The visa they entered Oz in or the balance in their bank account makes no difference when it comes to being eligible for Citizenship. And then they'll just need to wait in line like everyone else for the privilege of having a ceremony. Their test will cost the same to sit and they'll have to go to the same ceremony as everyone else.

Umm, actually what about secondary applicants and dependents of applicants? It's quite large number of people. Of the three people in my house, one came on a 457 then got PR via Employer Sponsorship, another was a dependent on that visa, and the other (me) married the original applicant. My stepdaughter has zero qualifications and other than a large collection of DVDs didn't really have many assets to her name when she was a young teenager. She's now a Citizen. I have two degrees and had a significant amount of cash behind me, but even those wouldn't get me a visa, which was fine...but then it so happened that the woman I married had PR at that time...so I got a Temp Spouse visa and am now a PR. In 2 years I'll be eligible to apply for Citizenship. And then I'll need to wait same as the guy in front of me, the guy behind me are waiting, my wife and stepdaughter did before me, and plenty others will do after me. Some of them could be millionaires, some could be paupers, most will be in between. And they can't be citizens until they have been to a Citizenship ceremony...same as everyone else.

Immigration may well be big business...but Citizenship really isn't. Once you are a PR, you can live and work indefinitely in Australia. I know plenty of people who have been here for many years without ever becoming Citizens. I know several who have been here 40+ years. There were over a dozen at my wife's Citizenship ceremony who had been in Oz over 50 years without becoming Citizens. They got them all to stand up and take a round of applause. Some people don't want to do it. Others don't feel the need to. Stop going on about why you bringing money into the country means you deserve Citizenship before anyone else.

Guest Guest26012
OK, I've read the article. Don't really see the point you're trying to make. Skills, qualifications and money can all go towards making you more or less eligible for a visa. When it comes to Citizenship they go for absolutely nothing. If someone enters on the visa from your link they will eventually get Permanent Residency. Then they will eventually be eligible for Citizenship, using exactly the same criteria as me, you, and everyone else. The visa they entered Oz in or the balance in their bank account makes no difference when it comes to being eligible for Citizenship. And then they'll just need to wait in line like everyone else for the priviliege of having a ceremony. Their test will cost the same to sit and they'll have to go to the same ceremony as everyone else.

Umm, actually what about secondary applicants and dependents of applicants? It's quite large number of people. Of the three people in my house, one came on a 457 then got PR via Employer Sponsorship, another was a dependent on that visa, and the other (me) married the original applicant. My stepdaughter has zero qualifications and other than a large collection of DVDs didn't really have many assets to her name when she was a young teenager. She's now a Citizen. I have two degrees and had a significant amount of cash behind me, but even those wouldn't get me a visa, which was fine...but then it so happened that the woman I married had PR at that time...so I got a Temp Visa Spouse visa and am now a PR. In 2 years I'll be eligible to apply for Citizenship. And then I'll need to wait same as the guy in front of me, the guy behind me are waiting, my wife and stepdaughter did before me, and plenty others will do after me. Some of them could be millionaires, some could be paupers, most will be in between. And they can't be citizens until they have been to a Citizenship ceremony...same as everyone else.

Immigration may well be big business...but Citizenship really isn't once you are a PR, you can live and work indefinitely in Australia. I know plenty of people who have been here for many years without ever becoming Citizens. I know several who have been here 40+ years. There were over a dozen at my wife's Citizenship ceremony who had been in Oz over 50 years without becoming Citizens. They got them all to stand up and take a round of applause. Some people don't want to do it. Others don't feel the need to. Stop going on about why you bringing money into the country means you deserve Citizenship before anyone else.

Well said!

Please stop bragging about all the money you have paid for visas and taxes. Everyone has or is doing that. You don't pay taxes to qualify as a citizen. How much have you actually contributed to society? As in volunteering for example? Do you spend your weekends at the beach with a four quartered cap to save life's for free, do you help out at the local hospital? I think theses things matter, not just paying taxes as everyone else.

It's funny how you are already deciding who should have the right to be a citizen. To be honest, as an Aussie myself, I'm not too thrilled about the idea of you being granted citizenship eventually, something that you just see as a thing you buy by paying fee, and not seeing that you become part of that country.

Why don't you contact the local mp if you really want to change something about the citizenship process? That's how democracy works in australia. But im sure that once you attended the ceremony, you couldn't care less how long people have to wait.

Brilliant post.... zecevi listen to this poster as so many of us agree with him!

Zecevi just grow up and accept that the world is just not here to grant you what you want,when you want it.

As so many poster have said, gaining a visa to work in Australia, gaining permanent residency of Australia and gaining Citizenship of Australia is not about the money you have spent. Australia needs and wants genuine people from all races to share a common goal that does not include racism and money domination.

You seem to have a strange vision about money and what it has cost you to be offered the citizenship of this great country. Perhaps you need to rethink whether you really fit in with the ethos of this country.

Just a thought but maybe that is why the Universe has pushed your Citizenship Ceremony out into the ether......

Archived