Education, ejucation, ejukashun

Guest LukeSkywalker

Guest LukeSkywalker

Ah the joys of a Labour government.

Wonder how this stacks up with "educated workers will lead the recovery for Britain" (Crash Gordon, Feb 2009).

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | University teaching cut by £65m

Its right up there on the scale of lies with:

"Our boys have enough helicopters" (Crash Gordon, July 2009)

"There will be a referendum on the Treaty of Rome" (Crash Gordon 1996)

This means only one thing - bigger tuition fees are heading the UKs way - soon.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kevin747
If Australia educated you I would have to agree :biggrin:

Well,I'll not go into with you,however, I was delighted to get my kids out of a country where mediocrity seems to be the benchmark and back to there shools prior to migration where they can thrive.

My family have back over 4 months now and it's the best thing we ever did,financially,emotionally and for our kids

Aus is a backward place full of folk trapped ,delusional or easily pleased.

Guest bowbrummer
Well,I'll not go into with you,however, I was delighted to get my kids out of a country where mediocrity seems to be the benchmark and back to there shools prior to migration where they can thrive.

My family have back over 4 months now and it's the best thing we ever did,financially,emotionally and for our kids

Kevin, granted you have a couple of kids(?) and expense has to be factored in, I do take that on board, but how many states did you live in, what exactly are your criticisms? For someone possibly about to embark on this journey what would you advocate are the worst things about Australia? please.

cheers

J

Having lived in both for a long time I can say that both countries are full of folk trapped ,delusional or easily pleased....as well as every other type of person. The life you lead in both countries comes down to your own good and bad choices. Your choices seem to be suiting you better now....long may it continue for you. Would be more useful to people if you generalised a lot less but that's your choice I guess.

Kevin, granted you have a couple of kids(?) and expense has to be factored in, I do take that on board, but how many states did you live in, what exactly are your criticisms? For someone possibly about to embark on this journey what would you advocate are the worst things about Australia? please.

cheers

J

Bow, where are you from in the uk ( its not a loaded question , just interested , from your user name )

Guest bowbrummer
Bow, where are you from in the uk ( its not a loaded question , just interested , from your user name )
Bow by Victoria Park Canal London's east end mate.

Home to the highest percentage of swine flu

Home to WHO's research on TB:laugh:

But I love it.

Are u from Brum mate?

cheers

J

Ah the joys of a Labour government.

Wonder how this stacks up with "educated workers will lead the recovery for Britain" (Crash Gordon, Feb 2009).

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | University teaching cut by £65m

Its right up there on the scale of lies with:

"Our boys have enough helicopters" (Crash Gordon, July 2009)

"There will be a referendum on the Treaty of Rome" (Crash Gordon 1996)

This means only one thing - bigger tuition fees are heading the UKs way - soon.

As you've posted this in 'Moving Back to the UK' I can only assume you are suggesting it's a reason not to move back? Not disagreeing with your post but do you realise how high university tuition fees are in Australia?

Just an example from the Uni local to me....

Murdoch University in Perth, Australia

The average looks to be $20K per annum........

My son only started primary school this year so I don't know the in's and out's of who pays/grants etc. but it's probably fair to assume an average middle class family will whack the lot.

Jules

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi, i have replied to a similar site as this before and it appears that the education in Oz might not be on average as good as the UK, but the difference is this, currently in the UK there are no good jobs to get, working rights and pensions are being eroded to the extent that even if our kids get a job in the UK worth having which is unlikely, they will have poor pay and conditions plus they have to work until they are 67. It isn't brilliant in Oz at present, but it's a hundred times better than the UK.

Keeping it real. jim.

Guest kevin747
Hi, i have replied to a similar site as this before and it appears that the education in Oz might not be on average as good as the UK, but the difference is this, currently in the UK there are no good jobs to get, working rights and pensions are being eroded to the extent that even if our kids get a job in the UK worth having which is unlikely, they will have poor pay and conditions plus they have to work until they are 67. It isn't brilliant in Oz at present, but it's a hundred times better than the UK.

Keeping it real. jim.

Sorry,but you are wrong. I earn 2 1/2 times more than in Aus ,my wife double.It depends what you do for a living.

I met a woman who worked in Coles checkout and her hubby was a plasterer .She left Leeds and preferred Aus. If you have a decent job /house/area in UK be very prepared for a big drop in living standards

Just wait to experience the wonderful education that Australia offers, It is crap.

I have to agree there, to a certain extent anyway.

I moved to aus at the start of high school and although i found that if you wanted to learn, they'd teach you - if you wanted to muck around - they'd let you! It was too easy to mess around in school with no real strictness.

Its basically down to the individual to muck in and learn. Which i suppose it is his/her responsibility - why should the teachers battle with kids who dont give a **** anyway huh?!

But anyway, thats what i thought of the education i had there in the late 90's.

Guest bowbrummer

I moved to aus at the start of high school and although i found that if you wanted to learn, they'd teach you - if you wanted to muck around - they'd let you! It was too easy to mess around in school with no real strictness.

Its basically down to the individual to muck in and learn. Which i suppose it is his/her responsibility - why should the teachers battle with kids who dont give a **** anyway huh?!

Just a thought, are you guys planning or taking children to Australia?

Guest bowbrummer

In all sincerity I think this has to be a broad generalisation. I would imagine every parent has done his/her homework regarding healthcare & education and to insinuate that (broad generalisation) the education is crap is insulting.

So are we as a nation in the United Kingdom guilty of accepting sub standards professionals from Australia in our schools, dentistry and hospital? I think not.

A school is only as good as its teachers, same applies for hospitals, you can get crap doctors, nurses and teachers, but please, sweeping statements are not helpful.

"Why should the teachers battle with kids who dont give a **** anyway huh"

Well if they did try and work with the kids and not accept getting walked all over then they might get a bit more respect. Teachers and their governing bodies are pathetic these days, when I was at school in the 80s we had a fear and respect for our teachers which is how it should be!:daydreaming:

"Why should the teachers battle with kids who dont give a **** anyway huh"

Well if they did try and work with the kids and not accept getting walked all over then they might get a bit more respect. Teachers and their governing bodies are pathetic these days, when I was at school in the 80s we had a fear and respect for our teachers which is how it should be!:daydreaming:

Thats because half the teachers in the uk, look and sound like kids themselves, the other half seem too old and can't even crack a smile!!

Thats because half the teachers in the uk, look and sound like kids themselves, the other half seem too old and can't even crack a smile!!

The headmaster at my lads secondary school ( my old school ) gets his dog, the school mascot, to sign his letters with a paw print, and he likes the pupils to call him by his first name.:arghh:

6 of one and half dozen of the other I suspect. In Australia you have around 35% of parents making a choice to put their kids in private schools and in ACT it is close to 50% especially at HS - I'd say that was something of an indictment especially as ACT usually ranks as one of the better performing jurisdictions. I admit to having seen first hand what goes on in gov schools - especially HS and I wouldnt have put my dog in some of them - and sent my kids to private schools (very expensive but didnt regret it for one minute).

My boys went to ANU (usually ranked top Aus uni in most studies) and neither of them were impressed by it - especially the tendency for group assessments when half of the group were either stoned or unable to speak enough English to decipher the group challenge. Australia sells a lot of tertiary education and, of course, no one who pays ever fails! (even when they are incapable of speaking, reading or writing English). The UAI (or whatever they call it these days) for getting into courses such as teaching is so low that the calibre is not always as high as you would want it to be - there are some outstanding teachers of course but there are also some no hopers going into classrooms to teach our youngsters - I have had more than one occasion to gently correct spelling and grammar mistakes written on boards and on one memorable occasion even quite simple algorithms!

My limited observation of lesson planning is that it is far less rigorous here than in UK - I had a chance to check out what was expected of a young teacher in Yorkshire recently and was gobsmacked - not nearly the same expectations here at all.

Someone mentioned retirement age in an earlier post too - if you check the last budget, it is going up to 67 here too and with an emphasis on personal provision of retirement income through superannuation funds which have taken a monster hit in the market over the past couple of years, you can expect to be working for much longer than 67 and even if you have retired you may be forced back into the workforce - if you can find a job - to accommodate the big hit to your income due to market fluctuations.

Whilst education is the domain of the Left in whichever country you happen to pass by (and Aus education is seriously Left), then it will be factored to the lowest common PC denominator rather than a search for and acknowledgement of excellence and expectation of best performance with support for those who need additional support (dont expect good teaching of reading here - some states do it better than others but some outmoded strategies are still employed by some teachers - all depends on the school/state)

Guest valleylass
Well if they did try and work with the kids and not accept getting walked all over then they might get a bit more respect. Teachers and their governing bodies are pathetic these days, when I was at school in the 80s we had a fear and respect for our teachers which is how it should be!

They dont help themselves by going to court for 'messing' around with their pupils and making films!! What a good impression to make huh.[
All this negativity is depressing, let's move the discussion on. What is it that we want from our schools ( in the UK and Australia)? And how do we propose to get it??

valleylass

Archived