6 months in and been back already

gilliantay

Can't quite believe that we have been here for 6 months now and have already travelled back to Scotland for 3 weeks.

Did not want to go back quite so soon but a death in the family forced the issue so we packed our bags and headed back to Scotland.

To be honest, my first impressions were 'it's good to be back' but that feeling didn't last for too long.

Thought I had died and gone to heaven shopping in Tesco, Asda and M&S...it really showed how the Aussies are being ripped off with choice and prices. Don't get me wrong, I have found my replacements for these shops here in Oz but Familiarity and all that..........

It was good to see family and friends but it made us aware of what we ARE NOT MISSING.

My favourite word at the moment is 'familiarity' and I really think that is what we all miss...

It would be so easy to pack everything up and move back to the familiar day to day grind but we have decided to stick with the day to day grind here.

We have bought a piece of land and are in the process of signing up for a house builder so hopefully we should be in our own house by January (fingers crossed).

I have to add that our son Scott cried his eyes out on the plane flying out of Glasgow but was soon back into the swing of things when we landed in Melbourne.

Here's to the next 6 months and whatever they may bring................

Gill

Hi glad you enjoyed your trip,we've also been here 6 months and are going back for a holiday to stock up on Next,M&s etc etc.My husband had to go back 5 weeks after we arrived due to a death in the family,my eldest son did not want to go as he didn't want to say the good-byes all over again as he was very upset first time round.My OH will never go back the UK,but I've told him never to say never as you don't know what's round the corner!!!

Guest Sunsh1ne

Thought I had died and gone to heaven shopping in Tesco, Asda and M&S...it really showed how the Aussies are being ripped off with choice and prices. Don't get me wrong, I have found my replacements for these shops here in Oz

Hi, what are your replacements / equivalents for Tescos and M&S ? I haven't really had to do proper shopping yet for clothes etc - what do you recommend?:confused:

Guest guest17301

Also Dorothy Perkins deliver to Oz, £10 delivery. I stocked up on vests etc in the summer sale!

Well done. You sound like you are doing well. Sorry to hear about the death in your family.

I think you are right about the familiarity. Funnily enough when we returned to UK after 8 tears in Ireland, that is what threw me totally. It took me years to get over it, but I think my mindset was a bit wrong though as well. Don't think I will make the same mistake this time, with our move to Oz.

Guest inlimbo
Can't quite believe that we have been here for 6 months now and have already travelled back to Scotland for 3 weeks.

Did not want to go back quite so soon but a death in the family forced the issue so we packed our bags and headed back to Scotland.

To be honest, my first impressions were 'it's good to be back' but that feeling didn't last for too long.

Thought I had died and gone to heaven shopping in Tesco, Asda and M&S...it really showed how the Aussies are being ripped off with choice and prices. Don't get me wrong, I have found my replacements for these shops here in Oz but Familiarity and all that..........

It was good to see family and friends but it made us aware of what we ARE NOT MISSING.

My favourite word at the moment is 'familiarity' and I really think that is what we all miss...

It would be so easy to pack everything up and move back to the familiar day to day grind but we have decided to stick with the day to day grind here.

We have bought a piece of land and are in the process of signing up for a house builder so hopefully we should be in our own house by January (fingers crossed).

I have to add that our son Scott cried his eyes out on the plane flying out of Glasgow but was soon back into the swing of things when we landed in Melbourne.

Gill

That is a fact, but the sun in Oz makes up for it.:jiggy:

hi Gill, we have been here for 6 months and have booked flights back to scotland for xmas. Im hoping that our time there will be the same as you,ie showing us what we have got and not so much as what we are missing! although i have to confess that we will be going over with nothing except some prezzies. so watch out next, asda, tesco! although yes i do miss my family but not near as much as i thought i would. even though there has been deaths and new arrivals im still sure we made the right desicion coming here, just hope i still feel the same when its time to come home again. tess

Guest inlimbo
Can't say we have any desire to venture back to U.K. 2 years in Oz now and still lots to do and discover, Would much rather friends and rellies came here to visit us than us going back!

Tight arse....are you Scottish:laugh:

Tight arse....are you Scottish:laugh:

Excuse mmmeeee! i think if you bothered to look i think you will find that hes from cheshire. it us scots that have been going home. cheeky!!!!:SLEEP:

• 1 month later...
Guest Midnightlass

Know what you mean. We have been in OZ since last November. Been back to Scotland for our daughters July wedding.

We miss the family, but really like it here. We are in Perth.

I think the OP hit the nail on the head with this word "familiarity" Even though Australian's speak English it's a whole new world and it takes time to familiarize yourself to the customs, the food, shops etc etc Until you do this Australia will never feel like home

Thought I had died and gone to heaven shopping in Tesco, Asda and M&S...it really showed how the Aussies are being ripped off with choice and prices. Don't get me wrong, I have found my replacements for these shops here in Oz

Hi, what are your replacements / equivalents for Tescos and M&S ? I haven't really had to do proper shopping yet for clothes etc - what do you recommend?:confused:

My other half always groans when we go shopping as I always make a bee-line for Target as I can get most things from there.

I like Myers but only for special occassions.

Shopping for food is a nightmare as the other half works in Coles but I prefer Safeway so a compromise is reached every week by shopping in Aldi............the familiarity thing.

hi Gill, we have been here for 6 months and have booked flights back to scotland for xmas. Im hoping that our time there will be the same as you,ie showing us what we have got and not so much as what we are missing! although i have to confess that we will be going over with nothing except some prezzies. so watch out next, asda, tesco! although yes i do miss my family but not near as much as i thought i would. even though there has been deaths and new arrivals im still sure we made the right desicion coming here, just hope i still feel the same when its time to come home again. tess

I advise you to go home with near empty suitcases (as we did) - thank the lord we travelled with Emirates and got the 30 Kilos allowance - all 3 cases were spot on the 30 kilos when we booked into Glasgow to fly back here.

I will be interested to see how you find the shopping experience between here and there in respect of prices.

I bought a top in Primark for a couple of pounds and I have just seen the same top here in Kmart of all places for about $40.......................how is that justified?

Happy shopping............................

Gill

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Yvonne MacFarlane

I have the occasional bad day when I miss my family and friends terribly but they are getting less and less. I am not going back to visit the UK until April next year and it seems a long way off at the moment.

I live in Melbourne and would recommend Springvale for food shopping. It is fantastic - cheap with loads of choice. The Asian markets are open every day. I have never seen such a huge array of fish and seafood - makes you glad to be in Oz!

Hi Gill! Just noticed you're in Lara. We are too. Been here just over a year (Lara since Jan). Thoroughly enjoying ourselves, especially as weather is getting warmer. I have on occasions considered homesickness but my brain keeps reminding me of where I came from in the UK and I realise my life here is fab! Shopping I admit is a bit of a chore but then I hated it in the UK too. I have body issues so clothes shopping has never been fun (have had a glass or two of wine or I wouldn't be saying all this!) I'm just glad my hubby has no desire to go back either. Here's to enjoying the fantastic opportunity we have all been given. Emma

Guest ChrisAl1

Gill

Been here a month now and still finding it hard. Moving to Berwick in next 2 weeks and looking for social network of girlies who like chatter and coffee!!! Anyone out there?

Chris

We are very early on in our process of moving to Australia. Can you please tell me which places are best to live, so we can reaserch areas. We have 2 young children. Don't know where to start.

Archived