Joondalup or Perth City Centre for reccie?

purplelady

Hi everyone,

I was looking for some advice on the best area for my husband and I to stay when we do our reccie in November/december.

We have found 2 very nice apartments available on Stayz for the dates we need - our dilemma is - one is a stones throw away from Perth City Centre and the other is in Joondalup which I understand is around 25K away.

We are first time visitors to Perth, but our 175 PR visas should be approved by then as just sent the final docs to him this week (fingers crossed all ok) so we will be using the trip to look for jobs, accommodation and network.

Please can I have some advise ASAP as we want to secure one of the apartments before we miss out!

Thanks very much,

Amy and Paul

Guest Hannah

Hi Amy/Paul,

We live in the city (South Perth) and there are some nice bars restaurants right near us. Its a nice place to be....I guess if i was doing the reccie i'd stay near the city as all the transport (Ferries to Rottnest, trains etc etc ) go from here.

At least the weather will be hot in Nov/Dec for when you get here!!

Hannah/Steve

Guest Emcooper

depends what you are looking at doing when you get here in all honesty. Will you be hiring a car? theres definatly much more to perth than the city. If you stayed in the city, you will probably find you venture out anyways, if you stay in joondalup, im sure you will venture into the city!! choose whichever you get the best feeling about i rekon.

sorry just reread your post and you said you will be looking for jobs etc, if you think its highly likley you would like to work in the city...go for there, then you will have less travel time looking at places.

Guest sazzle76

Hi.

We hired a house in Joondalup in 2006. Found the area nice. Quiet and pretty residential.

We got by without actually going into Perth itself for shopping etc. And we found a pub, an off license, small restaurant, pizza/take away - from what I remember anyway!

It depends on what you want from where you live as Im not a city person and Joondalup suited me fine but a car is needed for sure.

Thanks everyone for the comments,

Paul is a Teacher (secondary school PE) and Im a Travel Agent (with Flight Centre so may be transfering) so I was not sure how much use being in the city was going to be for the job search? I guess better for me, we understand Paul may have to teach somewhere pretty rural in the first instance.

Guest Emcooper

things are set out quite differently in oz, where here in the UK, most of the shops etc are in the main town centres, Perth city does have shops....but I think you would be better off going there if you worked in an office etc. planty of school shops travel agents all around perth in all the different suburbs. i guess its kind of like saying should I stay in London or ....i dunno,Woking or something lol. sorry bad example i know. hope you understand what im trying to say!

Guest guest17301

If you're unsure on where you'll settle then you're likely to see more if you base yourself in Perth (as Ali says) We stayed in Currambine when we arrived and as a result looked at far more northern suburbs than southern ones. Joondalup is very nice but I would only base yourself there for the reccie if that's where you are likely to end up-otherwise Perth is the best bet.

Hi everyone,

I was looking for some advice on the best area for my husband and I to stay when we do our reccie in November/december.

We have found 2 very nice apartments available on Stayz for the dates we need - our dilemma is - one is a stones throw away from Perth City Centre and the other is in Joondalup which I understand is around 25K away.

We are first time visitors to Perth, but our 175 PR visas should be approved by then as just sent the final docs to him this week (fingers crossed all ok) so we will be using the trip to look for jobs, accommodation and network.

Please can I have some advise ASAP as we want to secure one of the apartments before we miss out!

Thanks very much,

Amy and Paul

We been looking for rentals too and found some really good and cheap ones direct with owners - www.holidaylettings.co.uk search for Perth metro area and lots of different ones come up for Perth city, joondalup, mindarie and everywhere inbetween.

We decided we gonna spend week in Mindarie, week nearer city and then week south of perth - Rockingham / Mandurah area. To get a feel for things.

We been looking for rentals too and found some really good and cheap ones direct with owners - www.holidaylettings.co.uk search for Perth metro area and lots of different ones come up for Perth city, joondalup, mindarie and everywhere inbetween.

We decided we gonna spend week in Mindarie, week nearer city and then week south of perth - Rockingham / Mandurah area. To get a feel for things.

We used hol let yk when we first arrived , at Connollly then Somerly , there seems to be loads more propertys now than back then. One thing ivw noticed on the website , any one intending on stayin at quinns rocks should search the let on google maps as quimms seems to have stretched , there are lets at somerly ,ridgewood and clarkson that are headed as quinns rocks ,nice areas but if the intention is to stay at quinns

mally

good enough for work eh mally ....but you wouldnt want to live there :wink:

mrs keily

Only got a work visa , cant live there, think if a job came up nor i mite go for it 100 kms a day on a motorbike in this weather aint fun:sad:

mally

Yeah I was looking at Quinns then realised that some weren't actually in Quinns at all, decided on Mindarie as it near the marina so should be ok. Whereabouts are you living again ??

Kallaroo whilst august then tryin to get a rental at somerly or mindarie

Only got a work visa , cant live there, think if a job came up nor i mite go for it 100 kms a day on a motorbike in this weather aint fun:sad:

mally

what you talking about man ??? ...its been beautiful the last few days !!! ..... your gona get soaked for the next few days right enough :biglaugh:...

mrs keily

Kallaroo whilst august then tryin to get a rental at somerly or mindarie

Is Kallaroo nice then ?? its one of the areas on my list to look at when we come for reccie in September - and Mullalloo ?? Probably spelt it wrong LOL.

We got some aquaintances in Quinns and Joondalup so think we will end up North if OH can find work.

what you talking about man ??? ...its been beautiful the last few days !!! ..... your gona get soaked for the next few days right enough :biglaugh:...

mrs keily

Not beautiful at 6......00 am and its fookon freezin 1.5 degrees , dont mind the wet its the wind on the freeway over the rivers , worst bit roe highway flat calm day and its blowin abloody gale on there. cant be as bad as last year , storm at canning vale and it followerd me to clarko now thats wet!!!!

mally

Are they going to renew your visa?? dpn't forget you'll need an SSV (southern return visa) to get back in after your hols lol Have to say Mal, I do think of you when it's raining in the mornings. Roll on Spring

Archived