yet another bad day at work (nursing)

gareth and lisa

I have just finished yet another horresndus shift at work (im a nurse) 10 acutely ill patients, me and 1 hcws no support from others, 2 patients on 15min mews. is nursing like this is WA??? what is the patient staff ratio, do you have more good days than bad??? i seem to have all bad?? no staff (but then again i do work in the hospital from hell, news of the world reporting not my words). will it get better in WA of should i just change jobs..:wacko:

Lisa

Guest guest17301

Hi Lisa...I've just had a busy one. Me to look after 4 pts, all acutely sick, ratio in my unit is 1:3 but 1:6 on the general wards. Rushed off my feet but a supportive (in general) environment. I think the general concensus is that the standards/ratios are better here. I can remember my days as a Staff Nurse on a busy surgical ward in England-horrendous! So I left the NHS to work for a charity. Good luck to you in WA, it is better IMO.

Guest ashmalog

can't tell you what it will be like in WA but i know ive had a hell day too - swine flu hysteria!!! i am a practice nurse and all hell has broken loose.

hoping someone answers your question - i am going to victoria and i have heard that there is a more relaxed environment and the pt ratio seems to be better (friends opinion).

Guest JoanneHattersley

I am an elderly care nurse. On the AM shift (as well as my PCs) I have 1 RN adn 1 EEn adn me. I am responsible for 52 residents.

PM: I have 2 EENs (and PCs) and I am responsible for overseeing 102.

Currently it is 1715 and I should have gone home at 1445. I am on a double shift due to a no-show! I now get to go home (if everything is done!) at 20.30! Thats from 6am!

PS: Ali, I get u r laughing at this!!!! After what I had on FB page last night!!!

I am an elderly care nurse. On the AM shift (as well as my PCs) I have 1 RN adn 1 EEn adn me. I am responsible for 52 residents.

PM: I have 2 EENs (and PCs) and I am responsible for overseeing 102.

Currently it is 1715 and I should have gone home at 1445. I am on a double shift due to a no-show! I now get to go home (if everything is done!) at 20.30! Thats from 6am!

PS: Ali, I get u r laughing at this!!!! After what I had on FB page last night!!!

Sound like working for the NHS, lol.

can't tell you what it will be like in WA but i know ive had a hell day too - swine flu hysteria!!! i am a practice nurse and all hell has broken loose.

hoping someone answers your question - i am going to victoria and i have heard that there is a more relaxed environment and the pt ratio seems to be better (friends opinion).

Depends where you go Ashmalog, our wonderful nurses also seem to be run off their feet here in Victoria, do you have a job lined up at one of our hospitals? My niece is a Div 1 Nurse, working in surgical (theatre assisting) at the moment, it depends what hospital you work in but most of the public hospitals in Melbourne are kind of crazy sometimes. Lovely nurses, they deserve more. Right now, the paramedics (ambulance service) are getting revved up for strike due to long hours, it all seems to be pretty hectic where ever you go!

Guest RachASy

Not a Nurse and not in Oz (yet) but you do have all my sympathy. The few times I have had dealings with hospitals, the nurses have been wonderful, it can be a very stressful and responsible job, where you never get enough thanks. Sure your patients are very appreciative of your efforts.

Keep your chin up, hope situation improves.

Best wishes

Rachel

Depends where you go Ashmalog, our wonderful nurses also seem to be run off their feet here in Victoria, do you have a job lined up at one of our hospitals? My niece is a Div 1 Nurse, working in surgical (theatre assisting) at the moment, it depends what hospital you work in but most of the public hospitals in Melbourne are kind of crazy sometimes. Lovely nurses, they deserve more. Right now, the paramedics (ambulance service) are getting revved up for strike due to long hours, it all seems to be pretty hectic where ever you go!

Hi, im looking to go to Joondalup health campus in WA, but going to wait before i apply for a position as i want to choose when we leave and not them put pressure on us when i have to start etc. I find nursing is a love, hate relationship with patients and relatives, some people are lovely others are hitting you, lol, occupational hazard.

Lisa

Guest frasandles

Hi Lisa

I'm a newbie to pomsinoz. Just read your post about wanting to go to wa and work in Joondalup. I've was offered a post at Joondalup in march and am going out on a ENS 121 visa (permanent resident) hopefully at the end of November. It seems to have all happened so quickly. We went from thinking about to going in what seems like the blink of an eye. Currently looking for a house to rent somewhere near the hospital. Anyone who can offer any info on nice areas?

Hi, great you can give me the info Joondalup health campus then. i was going to enrol on the graduate programme to start this Aug but i didnt want them to say when i started i want to do it when im ready. were applying for a skilled independant visa, im taking the ielts test in oct then sending details of the skills assessment then starting applying in Jan. We stayed in Butler last year and liked it but it may be out of our price range. there are lots of websites with areas it depends on your budget. keep intouch i want all the goss on Joondalup health campus.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I'm a newbie to pomsinoz. Just read your post about wanting to go to wa and work in Joondalup. I've was offered a post at Joondalup in march and am going out on a ENS 121 visa (permanent resident) hopefully at the end of November. It seems to have all happened so quickly. We went from thinking about to going in what seems like the blink of an eye. Currently looking for a house to rent somewhere near the hospital. Anyone who can offer any info on nice areas?

Joondalup itself is a nice area to live in you can also go on to the WA surbubs threads for more info.

Archived