schools in sunshine coast-any info please??

Guest sarebear

Guest sarebear

Hi, we are moving to the sunshine coast from the uk within the next 3 months & am desperate for any info anyone can give me on schools in the sunshine coast. We have 2 girls aged 12 & 9. Just wondered if anyone has similar aged children there & how they settled in? Are the schools similar to uk or completely different? When do they break up for their summer hols? Can anyone reccommend some schools? We haven't decided where exactly to settle, depends on work for hubby(plumbing) & where's right for the kids. Any info would be greatly appreciated....so much to find out....so many decisions :confused: please help!!

Thanks, Sarah

Guest johno1

Hi Sarah, we are arriving on 1st August with a 14 yr old and an 11 yr old. I just googled 'Sunshine Coast schools' and went from there.

We have applied to several Catholic schools in the area as our boys are baptised and the fees are really good. There are a few good private schools too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the children dont seem to go to schools in their catchment area as in the UK and some have buses covering several towns.

I think the Sunshine Coast schools return tomorrow after a 2 week break and then they have their long Summer holiday over Christmas.

We have decided to try to arrange visits once we arrive and as our boys are old enough to help make the decision, we will go from there (although it obviousl depends of if there are spaces!).

We have also looked at particularly sporty schools.

Hiya!

There are some popular schools on the sunshine coast which do have catchment areas (e.g. Mountain Creek, Talara, Meridan State College). There's a thread on the qld section at the mo about schools in the caloundra area - with some good recommendations.

I've been googling areas then finding the local schools and looking on their websites. It seems the aussie schools are really keen to keep their school websites up to date and they are full of info including enrolement and catchment areas.

I'm sure there will be lots of people who can help.

Any ideas on area yet?

:hug:

jo x

Guest sarebear

Thanks for the info, i'll google some schools & go from there. I've heard that Caloundra is a great family place, so i think we may head there & see how it goes. I've read that the Caloundra state primary school doesn't have a great reputation, but that there are a couple of good private schools in that area. So much to find out isn't there! Anyway, thanks again for your reply & best of luck with your move! Cheers, Sarah x

Guest stephaniel

Hi

We have Ozzy friends that live in Little Mountain (Caloundra area) and their girls go to Meridan School . They say its a very good school and has a good reputation .Their girls are definately happy there and they get involved in lots of extra school activities such as dance and choir. If you look at the web pages for this school you can see the catchment area. If my husband can get a job in the Caloundra area then this is the school that i will try to get my daughter into.

Steph

Guest jewels1356

i think thier are a lot of good schools around the sunshine coast so i think you can have a wide choice

julie

summer holidays over here start mid december through to end of Jan. My kids at currimundi state primary school. excellent school IMO. 4 terms at 10 weeks each. just started 3rd term on tuesday. Schools are quite different over here, kids seem to come and go alot more than in uk. maybe more spaces available so parents are a bit more slack???

Probably a good idea to have a look around when you get here as they will all be in the middle of the 3rd term.

Guest sarebear

:smile: Thanks everyone for your views.....things are becoming clearer the more i learn! No doubt i shall be back with more questions tomorrow :laugh: sarah x

summer holidays over here start mid december through to end of Jan. My kids at currimundi state primary school. excellent school IMO. 4 terms at 10 weeks each. just started 3rd term on tuesday. Schools are quite different over here, kids seem to come and go alot more than in uk. maybe more spaces available so parents are a bit more slack???

Probably a good idea to have a look around when you get here as they will all be in the middle of the 3rd term.

Hi Sara We live in Mooloolaba and have a 14 year old son he goes to Mountain Creek state high school and loves it. He was in private school in Melbourne from primary till grade 8 high then we relocated to sunshine coast and we much prefer Mountain Creek and he loves it. He is a very sporty kid and he has surfing,swimming,all ball sports, that is his pe classess. Yes you have to be in the catchment area but it is a big area his school sits on 36 acrers and the primary school is across the road it has a very good name. Amanda

Guest sarebear

Thanks Amanda, that's another one for me to look into. I'm getting so much info from this site-it's brilliant! I'll definately have a look at that area :yes:

Hi Sara We live in Mooloolaba and have a 14 year old son he goes to Mountain Creek state high school and loves it. He was in private school in Melbourne from primary till grade 8 high then we relocated to sunshine coast and we much prefer Mountain Creek and he loves it. He is a very sporty kid and he has surfing,swimming,all ball sports, that is his pe classess. Yes you have to be in the catchment area but it is a big area his school sits on 36 acrers and the primary school is across the road it has a very good name. Amanda

Guest GRAEME AND CATHY

please get in touch i could possibly help......i'm a plumber an live and work in Caloundra.......i also know about the Schools as i work and maintain them.......willing to help......any info required

Guest sarebear
please get in touch i could possibly help......i'm a plumber an live and work in Caloundra.......i also know about the Schools as i work and maintain them.......willing to help......any info required

Hi Graeme & Cathy, thanks for replying! If you can help us with any info that would be brilliant. I think we've decided to look at Caloundra as our first choice of area, mainly because we want to be near the beach & it sounds like the sort of place we are looking for. How do you find living there? Are there many plumbing jobs around? Can you recommend a good school? Sorry to bombard you-there's just so much i want to know! How long have you been there? Looking forward to hearing from you. Lee & Sarah

Hee hee! Can you get me a teaching job in a primary school??? Tell them I'm such a wonderful person that they just have to employ me!!! :twitcy:

If they say no you could always threaten to b***er up they're plumbing!??

Jo x

• 6 years later...

Amanda, My family and I are relocating in approx April and are looking at Kawana Waters because my partner and I are hoping to get work in the new hospital. Do you have any info on Kawana High School? I have a 14year old son and 15 year old daughter. Any knowledge about the area? I have researched it on line but there is nothing like being there? Any thoughts welcome

:smile:

Haven't been on pomsinoz for a while but I have friends who send there children there and are happy with it. Has an excellent sports development programme, quite a big school but not the worst in the area. Will push kids into accelerated programme if they excel in certain areas.

Archived