Clothes shopping

twinkle

Hi all,

just wondering what you ladies think of the clothes shopping out there in Oz?

Is there as much choice?

What sort of styles are available, is it as fast paced as UK? are there brands like Zara, Mango, H&M?

I don't really do the 'surf dude' look!

I will need to replace all the stuff hubby is forcing me to leave behind!!

It's not really that bad! I always thought it was poop, but sister came over last year from Perth and she had some lovely stuff, exactly same as stuff here!

Although there may not be the same chains as we have in UK, they do have smaller boutique style shops in the cities and the surf shops do some nice stuff, not all beachwear!

I personally find it refreshing that people aren't quite so hung up on having the latest fashion etc.

Give it time and you'll find some nice shops!

Hi all,

Is there as much choice?

What sort of styles are available, is it as fast paced as UK? are there brands like Zara, Mango, H&M?

There's a thread in Household about this. Most people seem to think that the clothes are awful. However, I can't agree with them. You can get cheap and nasty all the way through to top flight designers. There is plenty of choice in both quality and price.

Guest koala12

I've been here over 7 months now and can't agree either, the clothes aren't that bad at all!!! I think that the style of dressing here is different probably due to the climate and the laid back lifestyle in that people wear more casual clothes and even when they go out it's more smart casual than really dressed up unless they are going somewhere 'special'. There are plenty of shops where you can get decent clothes, you just have to get used to shopping in different places that you did in UK but then that's all part of the experience and challenge!!! There is Mango here but no H&M or Zara and no Primark (sob sob!!) but I'm sure you'll cope!!!

Hi all,

Is there as much choice?

The best jeans in the world are made by Sass and Bide who are Australian! They just mould to your body when you put them on and are really flattering. Not everyone looks like the tv characters Kath and Kim in Oz!

Happy Shopping!

thanks guys,

that is a little reasurring. I'm not a fashion victim and I'm bothered about following the latest fashion trends but I do love my clothes and I do love to dress quite smart. Maybe this will change once I am Down under and am surrounded by more relaxed people?!

As long as I don't have to walk round in board shorts it's all good 'cos that ain't pretty!:wink:

Guest koala12

Hi

Thanks for that - there is a Sass & Bide factory sale near me on this weekend, might go and check out their jeans!!!!

Guest Hayley370
I've been here over 7 months now and can't agree either, the clothes aren't that bad at all!!! I think that the style of dressing here is different probably due to the climate and the laid back lifestyle in that people wear more casual clothes and even when they go out it's more smart casual than really dressed up unless they are going somewhere 'special'. There are plenty of shops where you can get decent clothes, you just have to get used to shopping in different places that you did in UK but then that's all part of the experience and challenge!!! There is Mango here but no H&M or Zara and no Primark (sob sob!!) but I'm sure you'll cope!!!

I agree completely with Koala12, It's just getting used to the unknown, I am amzed by how many really nice ladies clothes shops there are. The great thing is they are so cheap (as per H & M) and are brilliant for everyday stuff. Heck you can even route out some cracking stuff in BIG W and KMart. It's just getting used to the change, I am really fussy with my clothes and I am not dissapointed.

Guest koala12

Hayley, Glad I'm not the only one that is ok with the Aussie shops! I have bought some quite decent stuff in KMart and Target too and the prices are really good! My youngest daughter (22) was out here for 3 1/2 months and she's a real fashion freak and she loved shopping (and spending my dollars!) - for her age group Supre is fantastic! She even found some stuff she liked in KMart so they have things for all ages!

Guest Nelson

Now this is an area where I feel very well qualified to comment! At first I thought Melbourne was a bit bland and distinctly backward in fashion but I was wrong. I just didn't know where to look! But it doesn't take long for someone with a shopping disorder to find their fix... :biggrin: Also, if you are a REAL professional, you can look up what's on the Top Shop/River Island type websites to see what's High Street in U.K. and HEY PRESTO you will be able to find the EXACT same items here in Melbourne!! Bearing in mind that a lot of this stuff is made in China, they clearly send it in both directions! The good news is that it is FAR cheaper here! Check out Sportsgirl for some High Street fashion or the quirky boutiques in Brunswick and Toorak Road for something less mass produced. The alleyways around Flinders Street (Degraves Lane for instance) will reveal some lovely little gems..

The only things I really haven't been able to replace are A) Rigby & Peller underwear and B) T.K. Maxx The former I can order online, the latter, well, I just weep! :cry:

Guest koala12

Krista - PLEASE come to Sydney and do a rekkie here too as you obviously know what to look for!!! I've found several good shops but you might be able to find more!!!! I really miss TK Maxx too as I always used to find some little bargains in there. I also miss Primark for all those special little cheapy items only they can do so well!!! I actually ordered some stuff from Bravissimo last week and was amazed at how quickly it was delivered. As I said before it's just a question of looking in different shops and finding out which ones suit your pocket and your style!

Archived