Driving Licence when back in U.K.

landv

Hi Folks, Need some advice.:smile:

Silly Question but.......

My U.K. driving licence will expire next year and I was wondering that if I was to move back to the U.K. can I still renew it or do you have to retake the test etc again.:arghh:

Cheers.

Even if you let it expire but go back with a current Aus driving licence, there is a licence exchange agreement and they will just take your Aus one off you and you get a new UK one - no test. Similarly in reverse.

Hi landv

yes quoll is correct...the dvla will swap your australian full drivers licence for a UK one and no test to be taken. We know this cos my OH did it.

Strange thing is he had all the aussie tickets for driving heavy machinery like loaders and road rollers etc but he cant swap those! they have been added as provisional learners onto his UK licence! I found it strange that he was allowed straight onto the public roads yet couldn't drive work machinery that he was qualified to drive in Australia. I guess its similar to some UK professional qualifications not being recognised in Australia.

Guest mike_2006uk

If you exchange your Aussie licence, you will get an automatic licence, that is the agreement.

You can still renew your UK licence abroad, check out the DVLA website on how to do so.

Archived