We're going back in August - 457 over

Guest adey

Well thought I'd update those of you who have been following our drama's with the jobs over the last 6 months.

Here's the irony of the situation I lose my job on 10th July and there was us waiting for OH to lose his first as he's the one with employer sponsorship and he finishes work on 24 July so we are heading back to the UK as we are on a 457 and have to leave the country within 28 days. See I always like to be the centre of attention and get in first lol.

We've had a great time here and are having to leave our house behind as we can't sell it in the current market so we are being either extremely stupid or brave leaving it behind to the wills of the gods - fingers crossed the market picks up soon. OK the first home buyers are buying at the moment but they are all building new houses so it hasn't helped the established home market at all, good for those of you moving over as its a buyers market in the South West at the moment.

Australia will always keep a piece of my heart and WA is a beautiful, scenic and diverse country and ok its far from other Aussie cities but they are all technically not that close together either by car you have to fly to them all no matter where you live. My opinion others may argue but hey I dont' care I'm going home.

We've enjoyed all the different experiences Australia has to offer and I've loved every moment of it. I'm especially proud of having been bitten by a red back and just being poorly for a few weeks or so as I was petrified of being bit and when I was hey it didn't kill me lol ok I was very sick but I'm still here. I'm now totally over my fear of spiders, snakes (yep even held one at a local reptile park), lizards and all things creepy as you just learn to deal with them so don't let anyone back home complain about housespiders to me at least in the UK they don't poison you and make you really ill.

Know I can live anywhere in the world and cope with just me and my darling hubbie no matter what life chucks at you and our marriage is as strong as steel.

Also learnt that a job is just not worth it if it doesn't make you happy and sticking it out doesn't make it any better and then you end up being laid off anyway so what did you actually achieve - well we achieved living here for longer as he's stuck it out and hammered away at it but don't think he's actually enjoyed more than a few months working there which is a shame as its kind of tarnished his experience of living here and he's the one who had the dream to come here but often seems to be the person whose dream it is who finds it all that bit harder....maybe cos dreams are that dreams and real life is always ten times harder.

Learnt that family and friends will always be there for you no matter how far away from home you are and yes you can actually manage to survive without them living on your doorstep and actually they survive without you as well (miffed at that one they were supposed to miss me lol).

Made lots of great friends along the way and will miss them, bet they won't miss our whinging though about our jobs lol lol.

Looking forward though to travelling Europe which involves short flights not 6 hour flights, being able to drive to neighbouring cities in an hour not three, seeing the family again as missed them even though pretened we are fine about it lol, being able to walk to local shops/pubs and not drive every damn where as everything too spread out and not having to put sunnie cream on every morning in the summer when you venture near sunlight lol.

Oh and hitting the shops and them having decent clothes and lots of choice...sorry we live 3hours south of Perth and the shops are ok when you first arrive but you soon get bored of them. Then again you just don't need as many clothes when you live here as its so hot you just live in shorts and vest most of the and even in the winter you just need to wear what you would at home in spring lol.

So its over and out from Adey & Sarah - our flights will be booked by next week and we'll be Taffy's in England as we are moving up North to Newcastle as that's where my Mum migrated after we left Cardiff to live with my sister. So yet another city to learn and new lifestyle......metro to toon, then out on the beer, big beaches but cold as ice but HOME that's where my heart firmly is.

Good luck to all of you going home I totally understand why and good luck to those of you staying I totally understand why lol and its not for everyone but hey at least we gave it our best and you never know we may come back one day.........never say never that's my motto.:cool:

Sarah

Hey you two -

We are fairly new to this site so don't know your story but I was wondering if you really HAVE to go home. We came over on a 457 visa, exactly the same as you...have to stay with the said sponsor for the 4 years. Kevin lasted 3 days...the bloke was a pratt and the job was not what he was led to believe. So...no job = no visa. We rang immigration and they said TECHNICALLY we had 28 days to find another sponsor but as long as we were actively looking and kept them informed this would just keep on being extended. It took Kev about 2 months of cold calling to get someone else to sponsor him...A much better job in a better location. We did have to get a new visa but all the hard work had been done the first time...All we had to do was to employ an agent and he did it all...paid around $1500 I think. Our sponsor had to fill in forms and paid around $600 but he was happy with that. We did not have to do anything really ...just wait till it was approved. Now we are back on track and I am looking for a job. i miss The UK, especially as my children are there but if we do go back no one can say we didn't give it a go. When we 'lost' the visa i thought my world had ended...container on the way, no money coming in...signed up for 1 years lease on a rental etc etc..but that is now all in the past, thank god. You have probably made you mind up to go I suppose at this late date...so i wish you well..let us know what is going on back in Blightly. I smiled at some of your post.. you seem to miss all the things I do..Ah..shopping in the sales and getting a bargain

..now that is just a memory!! lol Best Wishes, Sally and Kevin

Hey you two -

We are fairly new to this site so don't know your story but I was wondering if you really HAVE to go home. We came over on a 457 visa, exactly the same as you...have to stay with the said sponsor for the 4 years. Kevin lasted 3 days...the bloke was a pratt and the job was not what he was led to believe. So...no job = no visa. We rang immigration and they said TECHNICALLY we had 28 days to find another sponsor but as long as we were actively looking and kept them informed this would just keep on being extended. It took Kev about 2 months of cold calling to get someone else to sponsor him...A much better job in a better location. We did have to get a new visa but all the hard work had been done the first time...All we had to do was to employ an agent and he did it all...paid around $1500 I think. Our sponsor had to fill in forms and paid around $600 but he was happy with that. We did not have to do anything really ...just wait till it was approved. Now we are back on track and I am looking for a job. i miss The UK, especially as my children are there but if we do go back no one can say we didn't give it a go. When we 'lost' the visa i thought my world had ended...container on the way, no money coming in...signed up for 1 years lease on a rental etc etc..but that is now all in the past, thank god. You have probably made you mind up to go I suppose at this late date...so i wish you well..let us know what is going on back in Blightly. I smiled at some of your post.. you seem to miss all the things I do..Ah..shopping in the sales and getting a bargain

..now that is just a memory!! lol Best Wishes, Sally and Kevin

We have spoken to immi and can appeal the 28 days but unforunately where we live in the South West, civil engineering has been hit hard and there literally aren't any jobs in town for OH. Most of the other engineering companies let go of their 457's at the beginning of the year so we've had at least 5 months more than those guys.

But to be honest with my job gone as well we aren't willing to hang around as money will be tight and we've had since chrissy to decide what to do and we have already accepted that we will return to the UK.

The family are excited about us returning and at the moment so are we as we've had months of uncertainty...our intention was to stay here forever but as you know life doesn't always go your way.

Sorry to hear about your dramas so soon after arrving and glad it all sorted out for you.

AT least we've managed to almost do half our visa time here and we've enjoyed it but feel ready to return now

Sarah

Just want to wish you well on the next chapter in your life.Newcastle is a fantastic place to live.You can shop till you drop,drink yourself stupid there are so many awesome bars.Lots going on.:laugh:

cool bars and shops forgotten what they look like lol - well decent ones without TABS joined to them

Guest Hearne_Family
Well thought I'd update those of you who have been following our drama's with the jobs over the last 6 months.

Here's the irony of the situation I lose my job on 10th July and there was us waiting for OH to lose his first as he's the one with employer sponsorship and he finishes work on 24 July so we are heading back to the UK as we are on a 457 and have to leave the country within 28 days. See I always like to be the centre of attention and get in first lol.

We've had a great time here and are having to leave our house behind as we can't sell it in the current market so we are being either extremely stupid or brave leaving it behind to the wills of the gods - fingers crossed the market picks up soon. OK the first home buyers are buying at the moment but they are all building new houses so it hasn't helped the established home market at all, good for those of you moving over as its a buyers market in the South West at the moment.

Australia will always keep a piece of my heart and WA is a beautiful, scenic and diverse country and ok its far from other Aussie cities but they are all technically not that close together either by car you have to fly to them all no matter where you live. My opinion others may argue but hey I dont' care I'm going home.

We've enjoyed all the different experiences Australia has to offer and I've loved every moment of it. I'm especially proud of having been bitten by a red back and just being poorly for a few weeks or so as I was petrified of being bit and when I was hey it didn't kill me lol ok I was very sick but I'm still here. I'm now totally over my fear of spiders, snakes (yep even held one at a local reptile park), lizards and all things creepy as you just learn to deal with them so don't let anyone back home complain about housespiders to me at least in the UK they don't poison you and make you really ill.

Know I can live anywhere in the world and cope with just me and my darling hubbie no matter what life chucks at you and our marriage is as strong as steel.

Also learnt that a job is just not worth it if it doesn't make you happy and sticking it out doesn't make it any better and then you end up being laid off anyway so what did you actually achieve - well we achieved living here for longer as he's stuck it out and hammered away at it but don't think he's actually enjoyed more than a few months working there which is a shame as its kind of tarnished his experience of living here and he's the one who had the dream to come here but often seems to be the person whose dream it is who finds it all that bit harder....maybe cos dreams are that dreams and real life is always ten times harder.

Learnt that family and friends will always be there for you no matter how far away from home you are and yes you can actually manage to survive without them living on your doorstep and actually they survive without you as well (miffed at that one they were supposed to miss me lol).

Made lots of great friends along the way and will miss them, bet they won't miss our whinging though about our jobs lol lol.

Looking forward though to travelling Europe which involves short flights not 6 hour flights, being able to drive to neighbouring cities in an hour not three, seeing the family again as missed them even though pretened we are fine about it lol, being able to walk to local shops/pubs and not drive every damn where as everything too spread out and not having to put sunnie cream on every morning in the summer when you venture near sunlight lol.

Oh and hitting the shops and them having decent clothes and lots of choice...sorry we live 3hours south of Perth and the shops are ok when you first arrive but you soon get bored of them. Then again you just don't need as many clothes when you live here as its so hot you just live in shorts and vest most of the and even in the winter you just need to wear what you would at home in spring lol.

So its over and out from Adey & Sarah - our flights will be booked by next week and we'll be Taffy's in England as we are moving up North to Newcastle as that's where my Mum migrated after we left Cardiff to live with my sister. So yet another city to learn and new lifestyle......metro to toon, then out on the beer, big beaches but cold as ice but HOME that's where my heart firmly is.

Good luck to all of you going home I totally understand why and good luck to those of you staying I totally understand why lol and its not for everyone but hey at least we gave it our best and you never know we may come back one day.........never say never that's my motto.:cool:

Sarah

And thats all anyone can ever do, good luck guys, great post. I wish you all the best.

My old boss once told me something that has stuck in my mind ever since "Regret what you havn't done"

Safe travels

Terry

Archived