Information on Ferny Grove/The Gap

angie7

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me anything about The Gap and Ferny Grove? We are currently living in Sydney and are looking to move . Brissy looks good, but I want to live in a really good area, as we live in a not so good area in Sydney at the moment. So any information on the above areas and more would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Angie

Guest Happyone

Maybe you could expand on what you mean by a "really good area"? Do you want suburbs that Brisbanites consider upmarket/affluent? Do you want to be near the beach or the city? Schools etc or cafes?

Hi Angie

We also made the move up from Sydney. I don't really know about the areas you have mentioned but hopefully someone will come along who does!

We moved to the Bayside area and are very happy here. It's a great area for families with good schools etc.

I hope you find the right place for you. Where are you in Sydney?

Love

Rudi

x

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me anything about The Gap and Ferny Grove? We are currently living in Sydney and are looking to move . Brissy looks good, but I want to live in a really good area, as we live in a not so good area in Sydney at the moment. So any information on the above areas and more would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Angie

Hi Angie,

From having driven through The Gap occassionally I would say you would be hard pressed to find a better suburban area of Brisbane. If you want quiet suburbia it a good choice. It is beautiful, green, good public schools, low crime, high socio-economic etc.

If you want to live a bit closer to the CBD you could also look at beautiful green Bardon but it "may be" more expensive for the same size house. It is full of beautiful wooden character homes where The Gap has more brick homes.

If you are after good suburbs that are even more urban and closer to the CBD you could look at Bulimba, Paddington, Red Hill, Herston, Kelvin Grove, Teneriffe, New Farm. These are all at the more expensive end of the spectrum. There are many cheaper, but still good suburbs if you are interested.

Thanks Rudi ,

We live in Dundas Valley near Parramatta. It's close to everything but I find I get a bit scared living in this area, there's quite a lot of public housing around here and the next suburb (Telopea) . A move seems the right thing to do for the moment so I'm doing my research on Brissy suburbs in preparation. Hopefully the move will come quickly.

Angie

Hi Angie,

From having driven through The Gap occassionally I would say you would be hard pressed to find a better suburban area of Brisbane. If you want quiet suburbia it a good choice. It is beautiful, green, good public schools, low crime, high socio-economic etc.

If you want to live a bit closer to the CBD you could also look at beautiful green Bardon but it "may be" more expensive for the same size house. It is full of beautiful wooden character homes where The Gap has more brick homes.

If you are after good suburbs that are even more urban and closer to the CBD you could look at Bulimba, Paddington, Red Hill, Herston, Kelvin Grove, Teneriffe, New Farm. These are all at the more expensive end of the spectrum. There are many cheaper, but still good suburbs if you are interested.

Thanks so much for the info I'll have a look at the areas you've mentioned. It's a great help.

Angie

Maybe you could expand on what you mean by a "really good area"? Do you want suburbs that Brisbanites consider upmarket/affluent? Do you want to be near the beach or the city? Schools etc or cafes?

When I say really good area I guess I mean a bit post but not too expensive an area where there are no rough people/public housing etc (cos I live in an area now that's quite rough and want to get a way from that). Somewhere that's quiet but with fairly good infrascructure etc.( Am I asking for too much? I know I would be if I was looking in Sydney ) Thanks

Angie

Guest here again
Hi everyone

Thanks

Angie

Hi

We live in Ferny Grove, great area, about 35 mins on the train into the CBD. Plenty of access to local shopping centres, some well recommended schools, rentals are pretty hard to come by as they are snapped up quickly. Drive about 10 minutes & you are in Samford village & then out onto the open roads! (great for exploring..)

Duno too much about 'The Gap', when there was a huge amount of flooding recently there were problems with land slides as many of the houses are elevated, etc, etc, & plenty of poms live in the Gap.

Both are nice areas, i lived in Ipswich (Ozzy one not UK), thats another story, so compared to there this is paradise! :v_SPIN:

Hi

We live in Ferny Grove, great area, about 35 mins on the train into the CBD. Plenty of access to local shopping centres, some well recommended schools, rentals are pretty hard to come by as they are snapped up quickly. Drive about 10 minutes & you are in Samford village & then out onto the open roads! (great for exploring..)

Duno too much about 'The Gap', when there was a huge amount of flooding recently there were problems with land slides as many of the houses are elevated, etc, etc, & plenty of poms live in the Gap.

Both are nice areas, i lived in Ipswich (Ozzy one not UK), thats another story, so compared to there this is paradise! :v_SPIN:

I am following this thread for any info I can get.

I just Googled Ipswich and see that it seems to be quite a large city. Is it all bad. or are there good bits?

Guest here again

ipswich....mm...we lived in a suburb called Flinders View, pretty new, cheap housing (in comparison to many places), very quiet & not many shops unless you wanted to travel out of town. Ipswich centre has a lot of old buildings which havnt been v well maintained giving it that 'rundown' look. I just felt (my personal opinion) that 'Ippy' needed a big kick up the ass to drag itself into the 20th century (let alone the 21st!), appeared to be a lot of graffitti in the centre, the train station appeared in the top ten worst stations in QLD last year for crime & i personally wouldnt want to be in the centre at night. (i've come from Manchester so i know how grim town centres can be after dark), having said that there are some lovely suburbs in Ipswich & the infrastructure that is planned for the surrounding areas will most probably improve it over the next few years. Guess it just was'nt for me but we all have different opinions & that was my take on it!

Guest here again
How far is Ferny Grove to the city/Bayside by car?

We can drive into Brissy city in 35 mins from Ferny Grove, dependant on what time of day obviously, & takes about 40 mins to get to Redcliffe from here. Ferny Grove is well placed for getting into the city or if you fancy a drive into the 'rural' parts, Dayboro is about 40 mins in the other direction. (old cowboy village, rodeos, & a butchers boasting the award for the best sausages in QLD!)

I have worked in The Gap and driven through it many times, also looked at houses to buy there. I actually love the place, its just my cup of tea. Lots of trees and quiter roads to walk or cycle. I worked there just after the big storm last year and saw some devastating sights, I felt very sorry for the poor people who lived there, and it kind of made me weiry of living amongst so many trees - silly I know , as a storm like that only hits once in 20 yrs. In short- I do very much like The Gap, and I'm still thinking of buying there.

Guest One-And-Only

Hey

I live in Ferny Grove and it's a great area. There is good public transport, schools and shops. Both Brookside and Chermside shopping centres are a short drive away. Everyone is friendly and generally smile at you as you walk past.

The Gap is also a good area, and has good links to the city as well, don't know much else about it though :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone

Thanks

Angie

Hi Angie,

I spent 24 yrs of my life living nearby to The Gap, in Ashgrove. Ive also taught at the Gap SHS. I can tell you that The Gap is a fantastic area to live. The Gap SHS is in the top 3 SHS in Brisbane. There are buses from most private schools that go out that way. No train line..... thats one NEG and the other is the main road through this suburb is 2 lanes each way, and has massive Quarry trucks on it (so not a place for kids to cross).

Ferny Grove is also very nice (id say not an elite as The Gap), but it does have the train line.. direct to the cty in 30mins max. Houses in The Gap will be slightly higher in price also.

Hope this helps,

Vony.

ps... After 8 yrs of living in the UK, im moving back to that area (nearby Samford) with my newborn baby and pom husband.

ps... just in case you dont know SHS stands for State High School.

Guest ChewyMonster

Thanks Vony, good luck with your move back.

Very interesting thread, these are the areas we like too. We will be moving out in the next 6-10 months with our daughter who will be 3 when we get there. This pocket of Brisbane seems ideal for young families.

I have some questions about The Gap, its huge, is there a good/bad side or is it all good? Is it all private housing or a mixture of private and state?

I'd love to ask about the wildlife (not the cute and cuddly sort), being so near to the forest, but I'm not sure I'd like the answers!

Hey Chewy Monster.. to answer your question there isn't a good/bad side of The Gap. More of a cheaper/dearer side. No council block housing if thats what you mean. Expensive areas dont tend have "bad" parts. If I'm being snobby, the northern suburbs (ie north of the river) are alot greener and nicer to live in!

To your question about Wildlife.. well.. you couldn't be in a better place.... the main road, Waterworks Rd... continues up into Mt Nebo and then only Mt Glorious... GORGEOUS picnic areas up there. Safe to go bush walking etc etc.

Hey Angie.. to answer your question.....dont believe a word that person told you. South is the worst as its flat land... and like all flat land... no breezes menas Hot and stuffy. The Gap is great for summer and it has loads of trees.. my advice is buy where you get views/breezes. If you buy down in a gully.. you wont get breezes and thats when houses get hot. Winter is gets cool (same as everywhere.. though as the Gap is on the side of a Mt, it gets more shade for parts of the day, so would be cooler. Not noticabely though. Hope this helps.....

V

Hey Chewy Monster.. to answer your question there isn't a good/bad side of The Gap. More of a cheaper/dearer side. No council block housing if thats what you mean. Expensive areas dont tend have "bad" parts. If I'm being snobby, the northern suburbs (ie north of the river) are alot greener and nicer to live in!

To your question about Wildlife.. well.. you couldn't be in a better place.... the main road, Waterworks Rd... continues up into Mt Nebo and then only Mt Glorious... GORGEOUS picnic areas up there. Safe to go bush walking etc etc.

Hey Angie.. to answer your question.....dont believe a word that person told you. South is the worst as its flat land... and like all flat land... no breezes menas Hot and stuffy. The Gap is great for summer and it has loads of trees.. my advice is buy where you get views/breezes. If you buy down in a gully.. you wont get breezes and thats when houses get hot. Winter is gets cool (same as everywhere.. though as the Gap is on the side of a Mt, it gets more shade for parts of the day, so would be cooler. Not noticabely though. Hope this helps.....

V

Just to add another perspective to this.....I think the person talking to angie was probably talking about how the far eastern suburbs (rather than the southern) get good sea breezes compared to the far western (eg Ipswich). A lot of people on this forum who live on the bayside report good sea breezes across the redlands area.

You may have realised this but I think Chewy was hoping for no wildlife (of the scary kind) not heaps of it :)

I think the western and north western suburbs are the best for hills etc but I think the direct northside and direct southside are actually quite similar to each other. The southside doesn't flatten out until past mt gravatt so you have a lot of hilly green suburbs like holland park, greenslopes, coorparoo, mt gravatt and my pick tarragindi - which in parts is as good as the west. Maybe you are thinking of the south west or logan?

Though the western and north western suburbs are definitely the pick in my opinion - must agree with you there. One downside of the western suburbs is the commute - a lot of people who live west of indooroopilly complain about the bus service into town.

When I say really good area I guess I mean a bit post but not too expensive an area where there are no rough people/public housing etc (cos I live in an area now that's quite rough and want to get a way from that). Somewhere that's quiet but with fairly good infrascructure etc.( Am I asking for too much? I know I would be if I was looking in Sydney ) Thanks

Angie

Hi angie, there are heaps of nice suburbs in Brisbane of varying "poshness" and cost. Narrowing it down usually comes down to:

- do you want inner city with walk to restaurants, pubs and access to near city facilities

- do you want suburbia with pool and big yard

- do you want to send your child to a good government school

- do your children need good public transport access to the prestigious private inner city schools or are the suburban private schools ok

- do you want to be next to the bay and/or a beach

- how far are you willing to commute in peak hour

- what sort of commute - car or public transport

- do you (or yours) have a city centre type job or a suburban one

- do you work shifts so can avoid peak hour - nurse etc

- do you think wooden queenslander houses are stunning, charming and a must - or do think I'm not living in a damn shack and prefer a modern brick home

- your budget

In case you couldn't be arsed answering all these questions I'll give you a few good family suburbs to start with:

- Bardon <---- Number one awesome suburban style suburb only 6km from the city

- The Gap

- Ferny Grove

- Tarragindi

- Holland Park

- Wishart

- Mansfield

Guest ChewyMonster
You may have realised this but I think Chewy was hoping for no wildlife (of the scary kind) not heaps of it :)

Yes I was thinking of the not so nice things that may visit with us living so near to their natural territory! Especially with a very inquisitive youngster who loves to be in the garden/outside.

Your posts have been very informative also, like the OP we are looking to move to a nice family area with good infastructure. I'll have a look at the suburbs you have mentioned.

Yes I was thinking of the not so nice things that may visit with us living so near to their natural territory! Especially with a very inquisitive youngster who loves to be in the garden/outside.

Your posts have been very informative also, like the OP we are looking to move to a nice family area with good infastructure. I'll have a look at the suburbs you have mentioned.

I've never lived in The Gap but I imagine as long as your house doesn't directly back onto the bushland you shouldn't have too many extra crawlies.

I think the first big decision is whether you want to live in a wooden Queenslanderr house or not. If you don't then that cuts out a lot of the inner ring suburbs. Generally, you have to move 9-12km+ out to get a modern brick and tile house with pool.

What sort of infrastructure are you thinking? In Australian suburbs people live near local and big shopping malls but generally drive to both. If you want a local high street where you can walk to the shops or pub then you need to be a lot more selective - these suburbs are generally found in the older, inner suburbs where life was less focused on the car when they were built. ie Before the urban sprawl began. This choice can make a big difference to the type of life you lead.

Guest ChewyMonster

Thanks for the info on the crawlies, didn't want to mention the Sn.. and Sp.. words, I'd sound like a right typical pom then!!

We are looking at a brick houses, probably a low set, a pool doesn't appeal to me at all. Not too bothered about the size of garden as long as there is some outside space and parks nearby. Wouldn't want to live in the inner city as we have always lived in the outer suburbs.

I guess, ideally, I'd like to be able to walk to a park, maybe a local shop, cafe and play/toddler groups, not bothered about the pub scene as neither of us drink or smoke and we never go to pubs here. I will have a car but am used to walking everywhere here in the UK. I like to be able to feel I can get to places without relying on the car. I think if I had to drive everywhere I may feel a bit isolated (if that makes sense!).

Guest cityfan

In case you couldn't be arsed answering all these questions I'll give you a few good family suburbs to start with:

- The Gap

- Ferny Grove

- Tarragindi

- Holland Park

- Wishart

- Mansfield

Hiya...Thanks for answering the suburb question!!!.....I am coming out to job at a hospital in Auchenflower in September....We do have some friends in Edens Landing further south, and someone I know lives in Samford... my hubby has a job offer in Springwood....trying to find somewhere we can both commute from...within a realistic distance. We would like a more modern house, with two girls a pool sounds ideal but we realise this may not be available nearer the CBD..... I am panicking just a little now!!! We are hoping to come over 2 weeks before start date, my mum is coming for a couple of weeks as moral support!!! Think we will rent a holiday let first; when mum has gone home, then we have 2 weeks accomodation offered in Auchenflower through the hospitals relocation package...question is WHERE to live!!! Good state high school is a MUST.....girls are 11 and 13...ideally need a dance school!!..don't mind commuting....may need transport links for the girls to get to school....Please feel free to offer any advise or help....THANKS....:wubclub:

HEy Cityfan,

If you will be in Auchenflower and your husband in Springwood.... Id say DEF move south of brisbane. Else your poor husband will be spending FAR too much time in traffic to and from work. The Gap/Samford is DEF out of the question as it would take him 60mins to get to work each way!

I dont know the areas sorry as ive never lived south of the river, but i know sunnybanks / MT gravatt / Greenslopes are all ok areas.

Hope this helps

Veronika:jiggy:

- The Gap

- Ferny Grove

- Tarragindi

- Holland Park

- Wishart

- Mansfield

Hiya...Thanks for answering the suburb question!!!.....I am coming out to job at a hospital in Auchenflower in September....We do have some friends in Edens Landing further south, and someone I know lives in Samford... my hubby has a job offer in Springwood....trying to find somewhere we can both commute from...within a realistic distance. We would like a more modern house, with two girls a pool sounds ideal but we realise this may not be available nearer the CBD..... I am panicking just a little now!!! We are hoping to come over 2 weeks before start date, my mum is coming for a couple of weeks as moral support!!! Think we will rent a holiday let first; when mum has gone home, then we have 2 weeks accomodation offered in Auchenflower through the hospitals relocation package...question is WHERE to live!!! Good state high school is a MUST.....girls are 11 and 13...ideally need a dance school!!..don't mind commuting....may need transport links for the girls to get to school....Please feel free to offer any advise or help....THANKS....:wubclub:

Archived