Information on Ferny Grove/The Gap

angie7

Thanks for the info on the crawlies, didn't want to mention the Sn.. and Sp.. words, I'd sound like a right typical pom then!!

We are looking at a brick houses, probably a low set, a pool doesn't appeal to me at all. Not too bothered about the size of garden as long as there is some outside space and parks nearby. Wouldn't want to live in the inner city as we have always lived in the outer suburbs.

I guess, ideally, I'd like to be able to walk to a park, maybe a local shop, cafe and play/toddler groups, not bothered about the pub scene as neither of us drink or smoke and we never go to pubs here. I will have a car but am used to walking everywhere here in the UK. I like to be able to feel I can get to places without relying on the car. I think if I had to drive everywhere I may feel a bit isolated (if that makes sense!).

You'll have to choose your location in the outer suburbs carefully then. Most people drive everywhere so you would have to make sure you live next to a shop and main transport route.

You may be better living in the middle ring of suburbs less than 12km out as they can feel suburban while still having a more established community centre to them.

In case you couldn't be arsed answering all these questions I'll give you a few good family suburbs to start with:

- Bardon <---- Number one awesome suburban style suburb only 6km from the city

- The Gap

- Ferny Grove

- Tarragindi

- Holland Park

- Wishart

- Mansfield

Hiya...Thanks for answering the suburb question!!!.....I am coming out to job at a hospital in Auchenflower in September....We do have some friends in Edens Landing further south, and someone I know lives in Samford... my hubby has a job offer in Springwood....trying to find somewhere we can both commute from...within a realistic distance. We would like a more modern house, with two girls a pool sounds ideal but we realise this may not be available nearer the CBD..... I am panicking just a little now!!! We are hoping to come over 2 weeks before start date, my mum is coming for a couple of weeks as moral support!!! Think we will rent a holiday let first; when mum has gone home, then we have 2 weeks accomodation offered in Auchenflower through the hospitals relocation package...question is WHERE to live!!! Good state high school is a MUST.....girls are 11 and 13...ideally need a dance school!!..don't mind commuting....may need transport links for the girls to get to school....Please feel free to offer any advise or help....THANKS....:wubclub:

You could try the suburbs on the Ipswich train line. That way you can use the train to commute to the Wesley hospital (or drive over the indooroopilly bridge) but still live on the southside so your husband can cut across the southern suburbs to Springwood going the opposite way to the peak hour traffic (he would have to drive though).

If you like this idea have a look at Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood, Corinda, Oxley etc.

Hi ,

I was just wondering exactly how bad the traffic is from The Gap etc. I have been looking on the courier mail's live cameras and it seems ok, Nothing like Sydneys peak hour(s) it's bumper to bumper and peak hour lasts for at least 3 hours. I look at the live camerat about 8.am - 8.30am .during the weekdays.

Angie7

Guest DadAgain

Oh - sorry for being late into this thread!

I've been in The Gap for 10 years now. I love it.

Most of the good points have been covered already - nice greenery, quality schooling etc etc.

The bus takes around 20-30 minutes to get into the CBD - but you might wnat to think about how far it is to the bus stop! Theres lots of housing (particularly newer houses) thats a fair hike from a decent bus stop.

In terms of animals:

1) Spiders: Cant be avoided anywhere in Brisbane. You'll see plenty of ordinary garden ones outside that will do you no harm whatsoever. Theres the odd huntsman that may appear sitting on a wall in your house in springtime and unless you are ridiculously fastidious with insecticide you'll probably find the odd redback udner your houses eaves, under patio chairs etc etc. The thing to be aware of is that unlike UK spiders that scurry around, Australian spiders seem to be very static. If you leave them alone you'll almost never see one moving! VERY easy to avoid.... I dont think The Gap is any more prone to spiders than elsewhere.

2) Snakes: In ten years we've had 2 7ft long pythons take up residence in our back garden. The first time we got the snake guy to take it away ($80) since we have a small dog that might've have turned into snake food. A couple of years later when the next snake showed up the snake guy refused to come out (said it wasnt worth his time for a harmless python and we should be grateful 'cos it'd help keep the rats away). With a garden rake and help from neighbours we wrestled it into an empty wheelie bin and drove it down the road to the forest park for a safe release. I've seen perhaps 4 other snakes in the wild in Australia - and they've all been in the bush (and VERY hard to spot!) - again very easy to avoid.... The Gap may be slightly more prone to snakes than other suburbs - but they're more an unsual and interesting oddity rather than a danger.

3) Other nasties:

Mosquitos will bother you. There are a few of them around in summer and being outside after dark can be hazardous. Plug-in anti-mosquito burners work very well inside though and putting one in your bedroom on a timer switch makes sleeping worry free (just replace the oil cartridge every month or so in summer when it runs out).

Ticks - If you're wandering around in the bush you might want to be aware of paralysis ticks - I've picked up a couple and they are horrible!! I had a sore arm for a few days after I pulled one off and if you have any pets you need to be particularly careful. My dog has been to the vets twice for intensive treatment for tick paralysis and nearly died each time. These visits havent been cheap ($2000/3000) so make sure you buy and use a tick collar $15 on any pets!!

Magpies - can be nasty in October/November with swooping/pecking attacks common. Nesting magpies are VERY territorial and aggressive. Once you've discovered that magpies in your area are agressive you need to avoid walking or cycling nearby or if you must, then keep your eyes on the birds at all times (walk backwards once past the nest) until you're a safe distance away. This will freak you out for a while!!!

Ants - Simple rule, DONT SIT ON ANY GRASS. Ants are everywhere, in summer you cant sit down on any vegetation or you risk being bitten. Big bull ants REALLY REALLY hurt when they bite - so make sure you wear closed shoes when mowing the lawn, cos getting and ant crawling over your thongs can be very distressing and will leave your foot itching for a week. Dont leave any food scraps out in your kitchen or you will quite likely find it swarming with ants in the morning. The first time you see ants crawling over your kitchen workbench you'll be horrified... but eventually you become accustomed to it and just wipe them away (kitchen ants seem to be small and harmless unlike 'lawn' ants that HURT!)

Cockatoos - yeah, nice to look at... will have you being very excited when you first arrive but they make a hell of a noise when theres a 4 or 5 sat in the tree outside your living room fighting and sqwarking about stuff.....

Bats - If you end up anywhere near a mango tree you'll get familiar with bats. Fruit bats are HUGE - think 3ft wingspan and a body like a domestic cat. They screetch a bit when fighting over fruit but the main problem is poo - its extensive and highly corrosive. DONT PARK YOUR CAR UNDER A MANGO TREE!!!! :arghh:

Possums - they may look cute and cuddly, but they are active at night and love scurrying over rooftops. Those people unfortunate enough to have possums nearby and a tin roof wear all manner of obscenities about being kept up by possums running around.

That'd probably do for now! - I'd better stop typing and do some work!!:twitcy:

Guest DadAgain
..I was just wondering exactly how bad the traffic is from The Gap etc. ...

It can be bad... I wont lie. Any time between 7:30 and 8:30 will have a dramatic impact on your journey time (20 minute drive to the CBD may become 45 minutes).

Evening peak isnt nearly so bad and although traffic is heavy I doubt it'd add more than 5 minutes to a CBD->The Gap journey at 4:30pm.

You can be effected less by traffic by having a passenger and using the "T2" lane (must have at least 2 people in the car) - but on the road to The Gap the T2 lane is hampered by bus stops that arent in lay-bys (effectively blocking the entire road when a bus stops) - so you still wont be free-flowing.

Archived