Aussie wanting to move to UK, Help!

Guest JeremyW

Guest JeremyW

Hi Guys,

As you can tell from the title of my thread, I am NOT a Pom In Oz. Sorry! I have been searching for days and have not been able to find an appropraite forum, can anyone help?! I basically need the opposite to this forum!

Anyway, my partner and I are currently in the process of sorting out a Youth Mobility Visa to work in the UK for 12-24 months. The visa application is going well, and with luck we will be jetsetting off to the UK in August this year. Right now I am busying myself with worrying about my prospects of getting a job in the UK. My partner and I are both qualified, myself in IT, and my partner in Journalism, but we are both willing to do anything really. I would peel potatoes if need be, just looking to travel and have fun. Can anybody tell me how hard this will be, and if I am likely to find work given that I am not fussy? We are also happy to work in smaller towns, and arent necessarily all that keen on living in London, which seems to be what every other bugger does.

I have heard horror stories about people having LOTS of trouble finding jobs, is it really that hard?

Thanks guys, sorry again about the lack of relevance to the forum!

Both my sons registered with an agency the day they arrived and both got jobs within a day or so - like you they didnt object to peeling potatoes and one of them had done a barista course so he was quids in. I think they went with Arrow but could be wrong as there are several high st agencies. If you are flexible you should be fine. You should also check out the Gumtree (the bible for all Aussie backpackers) Gumtree.com: UK's No. 1 in classifieds - jobs, property, cars and more Good luck and stay away from Earls Court - it's full of Aussies:biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Jeremy,

If you are willing to do things like bar work and kitchen portering then you shouldn't really have too much trouble finding work,I have quite a few contacts in the hospitality industry in the UK so if you are

interested send me a PM and I'll be happy to pass on some details.

These sorts of jobs are fairly low paid but often have accomodation and meals thrown in so it can be a good way to save a bit of money if you are willing to work fairly hard.

Cheers

N'OZ

Guest shonz
Hi Guys,

As you can tell from the title of my thread, I am NOT a Pom In Oz. Sorry! I have been searching for days and have not been able to find an appropraite forum, can anyone help?! I basically need the opposite to this forum!

Anyway, my partner and I are currently in the process of sorting out a Youth Mobility Visa to work in the UK for 12-24 months. The visa application is going well, and with luck we will be jetsetting off to the UK in August this year. Right now I am busying myself with worrying about my prospects of getting a job in the UK. My partner and I are both qualified, myself in IT, and my partner in Journalism, but we are both willing to do anything really. I would peel potatoes if need be, just looking to travel and have fun. Can anybody tell me how hard this will be, and if I am likely to find work given that I am not fussy? We are also happy to work in smaller towns, and arent necessarily all that keen on living in London, which seems to be what every other bugger does.

I have heard horror stories about people having LOTS of trouble finding jobs, is it really that hard?

Thanks guys, sorry again about the lack of relevance to the forum!

Good luck with your travels, I'm sure you won't have any problem getting jobs if your hard working and not fussy. Remember to visit Scotland, it's a beautiful country.

All the best

Shonz xx:yes:

Guest JeremyW

Cheers for the replies, exactly was I was hoping to hear!

The only info on the UK job market I have seen of late has been all doom and gloom, and it was stressing me out. We have some decent savings, and a few contacts in the UK so hopefully everything will be sweet, I only need to earn enough to survive as I am going predominantly for the experience.

Thanks again!

Hi & welcome to pio

I have seen job advertised today where if you are no older than 31, you can apply to work in customer services and reception in 5 star hotels in London, visa and airfare etc paid for

Good Luck

Guest siamsusie

Hi Jeremy, I am in London right now, and I do realise you dont want to live here, but there are numerous free magazines available on the streets for antipodeans and south africans. This magazine TNT ...onehttp://tntonline.co.uk/tnt_today/ is excellent, it has numerous jobs in places like Scotland, up north, Kent etc in hospitality, caring etc.

This magazine is extremely good for special offers on flights, national insurance, tax rebates etc If I can be of any help to you you just have to pm me. Have a wonderful time ss x

Guest Hearne_Family

Hey,

As mentioned in other post you should do fine if you are not fussy in what you do, the doom and gloom seems to be the way the world reports things at the moment, there are a lot of industries that are suffering but there are others that are steady and others that are actually growing! Waiters and Dishwashers in pubs are always a good bet, its also a good way to meet people. Shop assistants were also advertised a lot where we lived in the UK. There are normally free papers locally which will have a situation vacent section.

If you are up for tips on places to go can I suggest the Isle of Wight, its where we came from and its a beautiful place, its quite touristy so not only would there be plenty for you guys to do but there are also plenty of seasonal jobs in the hospitality sector.

Best of luck on your journy, keep us updated.

My ex-hubby had two jobs - one a cycle courier - he knew London streets better than I - and he worked on a potato stand in Covent Garden at weekends - OK that was a fair few years ago - but I am sure you will just fine - I wish you all the best. And London isn't typical of UK as I'm sure you have realised - hospitality always a good bet!

Archived