Do you like 4WD, camping and fancy seeing a bit more of WA?

Want to make new friends:jiggy:, go camping in the Bush...... in some remote areas in WA in safe way.

We are needing a few more people (couples or singles) who have a sense of adventure, to come and help out on this year’s Australasian Safari as Officials.

You will joining a group of over 50 Officials, nearly a 100 competitors and around 200 service crew, who enjoy nothing better than driving around little old WA..... doing an International event for a week.

The term “Official” is used for a variety of roles, whether it be the starters, the road closures, the people who help out at the refuel, and list goes on.

You aren’t expected to do all of this for nothing......... you get the “uniform”, a holiday experience, oh yes, and a fuel allowance.

Ah, forgot the most important bit.

It starts Saturday August 1st and this will be in the Hills area of Perth, then Sunday the competition officially starts, we head out towards Geraldton, then head east, Mt Magnet, Leonora, Laverton.

It finishes the following Saturday (8th) in Kalgoorlie, with a big party for competitors and officials.

It's the Australian version of the Dakar - Motor Bikes, Cars and Quads racing over an off road course of about 4,000km

Have I forgotton anything else? probably!!!!

Guest VFRHOCKS

Sounds fun and would love to jion in but just started working. Will have to have a look for next year through.

Guest melly

Hey guys,

Great to hear from you and see you are still active in the community and enjoying the hills lifestyle (remember me ?!)-we've discovered we're coastal people after all !!

Do you mind me asking what the fuel allowance is ? It sounds like fun ! What's the joining criteria ??

Melly,

OMG, yes of course we remember you, you were trying to decided Hills or Coast, that was on another forum back in about 2006, I think... You are still in Oz, so glad to hear it and that it's all working good for you. We should catch up sometime...

In answer to your question re fuel, you get around $1,000 but please don't hold me to this, you won't be too much out of pocket. You are basically being subsidised to go on holiday for a week, do a bit of work and see the outback at it's best.

Joining criteria is good sense of adventure and humour, not mind some early mornings or late nights, camping sometimes in the middle of nowhere, being self sufficient in the way of camping. But this isn't always the case, sometimes you camp at the central Bivouac.

You are basically leap-frogging the competitors, they get started in the morning, you do your role, then you drive to the next section.

Melly and Docboat - can I tell you anything else, or has the above covered it???? if you want to pm a phone number we can talk more

Guest melly

Well we spent 15 months over in Queensland living on acerage to decide we were coastal people in WA-ha ha, what an expensive trip !! Loving being by the coast again. Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread :-)

Some more questions !

- Can we take the camper trailer or will we have to rough it-ha ha !

- Just looked at the registration website-do you need experience ?

It is very tempting !!

TIM ?! Thought you'd be keen ?!

Melly,

OMG, yes of course we remember you, you were trying to decided Hills or Coast, that was on another forum back in about 2006, I think... You are still in Oz, so glad to hear it and that it's all working good for you. We should catch up sometime...

In answer to your question re fuel, you get around $1,000 but please don't hold me to this, you won't be too much out of pocket. You are basically being subsidised to go on holiday for a week, do a bit of work and see the outback at it's best.

Joining criteria is good sense of adventure and humour, not mind some early mornings or late nights, camping sometimes in the middle of nowhere, being self sufficient in the way of camping. But this isn't always the case, sometimes you camp at the central Bivouac.

You are basically leap-frogging the competitors, they get started in the morning, you do your role, then you drive to the next section.

Melly and Docboat - can I tell you anything else, or has the above covered it???? if you want to pm a phone number we can talk more

Well we spent 15 months over in Queensland living on acerage to decide we were coastal people in WA-ha ha, what an expensive trip !! Loving being by the coast again. Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread :-)

Some more questions !

- Can we take the camper trailer or will we have to rough it-ha ha !

- Just looked at the registration website-do you need experience ?

It is very tempting !!

TIM ?! Thought you'd be keen ?!

How about you Mel? - now as a Laydeeeeee of leisure I hear - bet you and Simon would be chomping at the bit for this!? Sounds like a blast eh - put some red dirt on the RR after all!

Guest melly

Do you have an alarm in your office that goes office when your name is typed :laugh: !!

Yes, very tempted. Funnily enough I innocently said a while back it would be great to compete in until my sensible husband told me it was for experienced people only and was the Australian version of the Dakar Rally-oh and the cost might have been another factor he mentioned !!

How about you Mel? - now as a Laydeeeeee of leisure I hear - bet you and Simon would be chomping at the bit for this!? Sounds like a blast eh - put some red dirt on the RR after all!

Camper trailer - absolutely, we take ours all of the time. I cook meals for the week, vacuum seal and freeze them.

Experience isn't necessary, we will be having a training session in Perth a couple of weeks prior for new and the experienced ones.

As for competing you don't have to be the best of the best, just know the basics of reading roadbooks etc. We had a few guys last year on bikes, and they were the slowest. Sean laughingly asked if they were being competitors or tourists, at that, they pulled out their cameras and showed their photos of them posing at various spots. They just wanted to have the thrill of competing, but more importantly enjoying themselves and finishing in one piece!!!

Are you and Simon going to join us???

Guest melly

Tempting ! Work might get in the way though-dam !

Camper trailer - absolutely, we take ours all of the time. I cook meals for the week, vacuum seal and freeze them.

Experience isn't necessary, we will be having a training session in Perth a couple of weeks prior for new and the experienced ones.

As for competing you don't have to be the best of the best, just know the basics of reading roadbooks etc. We had a few guys last year on bikes, and they were the slowest. Sean laughingly asked if they were being competitors or tourists, at that, they pulled out their cameras and showed their photos of them posing at various spots. They just wanted to have the thrill of competing, but more importantly enjoying themselves and finishing in one piece!!!

Are you and Simon going to join us???

Archived