Can you apply for a 176 visa b4 ss comes through?

julzcary

Was just wondering whether you can put yourself a few weeks ahead by applying for the 176 visa whilst waiting for the SS to come through. If not, looks like we're gonna have to wait for another couple of months before we can send it off.

Thanks

JUlie

Was just wondering whether you can put yourself a few weeks ahead by applying for the 176 visa whilst waiting for the SS to come through. If not, looks like we're gonna have to wait for another couple of months before we can send it off.

Thanks

JUlie

No point in jump half way up the ladder ..only to find yourself on your way back down. SS First then so on.

Best wishes Proview:jiggy:

Hi Julie.

No you cannot apply for a 176 visa until you have state sponsorship (or family sponsorship if one is applying with that). See:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

However, as the other Julie indicates, if you have enough points (120) you could apply now for the 175 visa to get in line so to speak and then if you get state sponsorship your 175 visa converts to a 176 application. There is no cost involved in changing your 175 to a 176. I would have thought that gives you some advantage from a timing point of view but I'm not a migration agent and don't know for sure. It makes sense though.

Sandra

ps--I have a sister named Julie and like the name :-)

Guest Jimshipway

Hi there,

I have applied for SS and 176 visa on the same date, but my sponsorship came right after 3 months. then my state submitted form 1100 to DIAC to confirm this. after sending this, I have a case officer allocated after 15 days. and waiting for the visa.

so in my opinion, if you have such circumstances that you must apply for 176, then consider my case.

cheers,

Jim

Hi Julie.

No you cannot apply for a 176 visa until you have state sponsorship (or family sponsorship if one is applying with that). See:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

However, as the other Julie indicates, if you have enough points (120) you could apply now for the 175 visa to get in line so to speak and then if you get state sponsorship your 175 visa converts to a 176 application. There is no cost involved in changing your 175 to a 176. I would have thought that gives you some advantage from a timing point of view but I'm not a migration agent and don't know for sure. It makes sense though.

Sandra

ps--I have a sister named Julie and like the name :-)

Thanks Jim. Glad that worked for you. The DIAC website states though that you should have state sponsorship before you apply-that is the info in the link I sent. DIAC does however sometimes post info on its website that is not correct or more a statement of their preference or policy than a regulation.

I wonder how many others have applied for the 176 prior to getting state sponsorship and their visa was still processed? Please let us know if you get your visa or if the CO questions the fact that you only got the state sponsorship after you'd applied.

Good luck.

Guest Jimshipway

Hi,

I assume that there is a gray area around this. DIAC does say in website that u shd only apply when u have ss. but if we read into ASPC status emails, listed below, it says

Note: Due to the number of applications in the above two categories, on

hand and being received, applications not on the CSL, or applications

without a successful State or Territory nomination, will be delayed until

those applications which meet the processing priorities are finalised.

It does say that applications without a successful state or territory nomination.......

I think we can only answer to this in future when someone on this post gets a CO job at DIAC....hahaha

anyways, this is just my point of view..

Thanks Jim. Glad that worked for you. The DIAC website states though that you should have state sponsorship before you apply-that is the info in the link I sent. DIAC does however sometimes post info on its website that is not correct or more a statement of their preference or policy than a regulation.

I wonder how many others have applied for the 176 prior to getting state sponsorship and their visa was still processed? Please let us know if you get your visa or if the CO questions the fact that you only got the state sponsorship after you'd applied.

Good luck.

Yes it does seem like a murky area! Also, they are obligated I understand to consider both the 175 and 176 visas for each 175 or 176 application so I guess if you don't get 176 state sponsorship then it could, if you have 120 points, be treated as a straight 175 application.

Thanks for your info.

Sandra

Hello All,

Just to clear up the confusion it is perfectly acceptable and very common to lodge an application for a SC176 BEFORE securing sponsorship from a state government or family member.

This is because for a SC176 sponsorship is a 'Time of Decision' criteria.

Ofcourse if your sponsorship is rejected then you may have problems.

Also DIAC will not look at your visa application until the State has provided them with a 'Form 1100' that is only provided once a state nomination has been approved.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Thanks for all your comments and help. Unfortunately, we're not in a position to apply for a 175 then change as we don't have enough points. I've made the comment previously that I can't understand why my profession as an urban and regional planner is not on the MODL but on the CSL! Hence I don't get the extra points for MODL work experience!

As my job is on the CSL at present, it may be worthwhile to apply for the 176 in advance of the SS, but there is also the chance that the CSL is changed or Queensland take planners off their list!

Thanks

Julie

Archived