Are cars really this expensive?

Guest ozraider

Guest ozraider

Hi all,

We are off to Oz early next year so I have been trying to map out a plan. I had a look at the price of cars etc and they appear to be extorsionate! It seems most cars are old Japanese imports and priced through the roof, is this right or am I looking in the wrong place?

Also can anyone talk me through motoring in Oz from start to finish, ie is it anywhere similar to the UK with regards to tax, insurance, MOT etc.

Thanks

Guest Tracy1
Hi all,

We are off to Oz early next year so I have been trying to map out a plan. I had a look at the price of cars etc and they appear to be extorsionate! It seems most cars are old Japanese imports and priced through the roof, is this right or am I looking in the wrong place?

Also can anyone talk me through motoring in Oz from start to finish, ie is it anywhere similar to the UK with regards to tax, insurance, MOT etc.

Thanks

Ive got a renault megane convertible 1500 diesel on a 56 plate I paid just under £7k (approx A$14,000) for it in January. Ive searched the internet and found one in Sydney on a 2005 plate (so about a year older) for A$25,000 so I'm seriously thinking of taking mine with me. Unless it costs £5k or more i think it will be worth it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

:confused:

Guest Tracy1
Any help, mate?

Renault Megane used vehicles at www.drive.com.au

One thing about some imported cars, parts may be difficult to obtain. A case in point. Bloke bought a Jag Mark 10, he hit a kerb and ripped the sump off; result was a 9 week wait for a new sump.

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes thank you so much....my car is there for A$36,990 :arghh:

Looks like I will be bringing it with me and if I need parts I will have to wait

Tracy xx

Guest masmithuk

Second hand cars here are close to twice the price they would be in the UK once they get to 5 years old or so plus you have stamp duty to pay on the purchase. If you have an expensive car in the UK and it is elligable for personal import (not all are) and you can cover the cost of compliancing at this end it is certainly worth bringing it over.

New cars seem a bit cheaper than the UK though which kind of doesn't make sense.

Guest Guest9973

Used cars last a lot longer here.

No road salt and persistent rain.

It does keep prices up.

Guest masmithuk

They don't seem to suffer from rust as much but generally the condition of the road surfaces here is pretty poor and with no MOT equivalent in many States the fact that they are driven on the road for longer doesn't mean that they should be.

Guest gadgetman

Some are a lot cheaper.

Our car here = $40k, in the UK roughly $65k. You can get a new small hatch here for $13k. That wouldn't get you anything in the UK.

New cars seem a bit cheaper than the UK though which kind of doesn't make sense.

i paid $2500 for my 1994 camry about 7 months ago and apart from an oil change haven't spent a penny on it, clocked up about 14000kms

But...... the whole time i've had it i've been hunting for something nice in the sub $10000 region, just can't find one (think i'm too picky)

Guest SO,DIZZY

IF YOU LIVE IN THE MELBOURNE AREA CHECK OUT THIS LINK ......

Cheap Second Hand Cars Melbourne - Cheap Cars For Sale - Gumtree Melbourne Free Classifieds THIS WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR YOUR MONEY IF YOU CUT OUT THE MIDDLEMAN YOU ALSO GET A GOOD IDEA OF WERE THE CAR IS... SUBURBS,, CENTRAL ETC.. CAN CONTACT THE OWNER AND MOST OF THE TIME THERE IS A LINK TO A MAP... I ALSO ASUME THERE WILL BE A GUMTREE LINK FOR OTHER AREAS IN AUSTRALIA..

REGARDS DIZZ.

Guest Hearne_Family

I paid $2k for a '94 Falcon with RWC and Rego...cheap cars are about you just have to look, local papers are always worth a look when you get here, as for owning costs and as for Oz versions of Tax, MOT etc it depends which state you will be in.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest tim henderson

henderson cars ,mooloolaba sunshine coast has a good selection of second hand vehicles priced from $4000. to $20000. all inspected by the racq.

Guest Vim Fuego

There are often some cars for sale on a peice of land between Loganlea Road and Kingston Road, all of which have been inspected by tyre-kicking hoons with nothing better to do with their day.

$500 to $2500 ... $50 to $1000 if you don't want the sound system ... bargain!

Guest Vim Fuego
all my cars have wheels hence the slightly higher price tag!!!

:laugh:

But think what you CAN get down here in the sticks:

- A huge sticker with 'Jet Pilot' on it

- Not one panel colour but three

- An exhaust pipe the size of a dustbin (one of those old round ones, remember them? <drifts off into nostalgia>

- Two cars for the price of one, the welding in the middle has a limited warranty

Finance can be arranged from the guy at number 34, private medical cover also recommended.

I bought a 380 for about $13k with still factory warranty etc from Pickles Auctions. They seam to have the cheapest cars around and most cars have a full service history and low kms. Dealers buy from the Auctions and then mark up the price. Just go on to their website and then copare a similar vehicle on carsales.com.au and you will see that they are cheaper. Good luck with the car hunting

Archived