Are we giving it all up too quickly!

Guest jackie Macdonald

Guest shelly69

Is it too late to reply to this thread? I am new to this site and my first time writing on it.

I have been here in Brizzy for almost 5 months with my son who has just turned 8, and at the moment I want to go home! I have promised myself that I will give it a fair go (that sounds a bit Aussie) and won't give up yet as I am very aware that everything is new and scary and we are both lonely, not having met many friends yet. I just hope that things get better as time goes on and that I don't continue to feel disjointed and alone.. God that sounds sad!!

:unsure:

Is it too late to reply to this thread? I am new to this site and my first time writing on it.

I have been here in Brizzy for almost 5 months with my son who has just turned 8, and at the moment I want to go home! I have promised myself that I will give it a fair go (that sounds a bit Aussie) and won't give up yet as I am very aware that everything is new and scary and we are both lonely, not having met many friends yet. I just hope that things get better as time goes on and that I don't continue to feel disjointed and alone.. God that sounds sad!!

:unsure:

Do you have family here...did you come in the hope of finding something better for you and your son.....

It did not get better for me but thats just me......I live in the blue mountains so cant help except if you are ever down this way you are welcome to come and stay x

It's the not belonging for me - and not really liking what Australia has to offer. As I've grown older I have mellowed and look forward to a mellow environment around me - Australia is too harsh for me. It's the space and the sameness and spikiness really with little variation unless you drive for hours. Sure I miss my folks but it is more than that - we have always been independent of each other and they never guilted me for being here but this just isnt right and never has been despite all appearances to the contrary.

yeah me too Quoll.....I have more family here than in Uk so it is so so much more than family it is just as much a part of me as my left arm !!

Guest shelly69

Wishful, that's really sweet of you. No intentions to go down that way in the near future tho!

No family here, just a couple of good friends, and yes I came with the intention of offering my son a better future. He is ok but I do wonder what on earth have I done? Have wanted to come back to live here for 10 years after visiting for long periods way back... think I had more positivity and courage then though!

Wishful, that's really sweet of you. No intentions to go down that way in the near future tho!

No family here, just a couple of good friends, and yes I came with the intention of offering my son a better future. He is ok but I do wonder what on earth have I done? Have wanted to come back to live here for 10 years after visiting for long periods way back... think I had more positivity and courage then though!

You see, I think that is the problem - the excuse of a better future for your kids. Australia has no guarantee of that at all. A kid's future is largely dependent on the time, energy and interaction that they have with their parents and extended family. It doesnt depend on the sunshine or the beaches. Job opportunities are in fact far better in the big pond which is UK/Europe than the little pond of Australia. That could be why so many young Aussies when they graduate cannot wait to escape. Many are unable to stay away for long because of visa issues but several of my son's group with dual citizenship have emigrated back to UK.

I think if you come here, it has to be for better opportunities for you - and probably a sense of wanderlust and adventure. Own it for your own and dont put it on the kids IMHO.

As for me going back - nope, past the point of no return with a DH who will not budge - he's an Aussie born and bred so he is happy here because he is home. I've had him for too long now that I dont want to be training up a new one:biglaugh:

Guest JoanneHattersley
the excuse of a better future for your kids. Australia has no guarantee of that at all.

Absolutely! Australia does not guarantee anything! Same as UK

A kid's future is largely dependent on the time, energy and interaction that they have with their parents and extended family. It doesnt depend on the sunshine or the beaches.

Dead right there too! The child and the family work together for the kids future.

I think if you come here, it has to be for better opportunities for you - and probably a sense of wanderlust and adventure. Own it for your own

Thats what we did! Our thought was we`ll give it 2 years good or bad. We`ll stick it whatever. We want a change in lifestyle and more time together. For us it worked 150%!

Hi

For me it's not the place but the people I miss. We've only been here for 8 months and after reading alot of other peoples experiences I've come to the conclusion that I'm doing ok.

But it's my parents that is the hard bit, it would be worth going back just for them but I don't want to live in the UK again (well certainly not in the near future) and I don't miss my old life back there, my parents are due to come out in a couple of weeks and it is so bittersweet as I know I am going to have to say goodbye again and I just don't want to do that.

Guest JoanneHattersley

It was people I missed but you will find that contact will wear off from all friends etc! Where we used to get regular card, letters emails we get sod all now!! lol! Even the Christmas cards have tailed off.

Out of sight and all taht...............

You never get over missing people , you learn to live with it! Ive been here over 4 years and miss people.

It was people I missed but you will find that contact will wear off from all friends etc! Where we used to get regular card, letters emails we get sod all now!! lol! Even the Christmas cards have tailed off.

Out of sight and all taht...............

You never get over missing people , you learn to live with it! Ive been here over 4 years and miss people.

I guess my problem is that I dont want to live a life where I have to learn to live with things you get one shot at this and I want to live " an unrealistic life" realistic is not and had never been in my vocabulary and so far it has served me well .

I don't hate Australia....when I go for a walk in the bush I feel a sence of calm and when I visit the rocks and circular quay I love love love it but I want to coem for a holiday I dont want to live here.

I have been here 23 years and I am still in contact with 3 friends and family from the uk...internet helps a lot as well......

Wishfu;:smile:

Archived