The cost of living in adelaide,supermarkets etc

rockola57

Hiya,recently ive noticed the cost of foodstuffs here in Adelaide is quite extortionate when comparing to what we were paying for everyday items in the UK just 8 months ago,like double or more in some cases!It aint as if the wages are double in unison,so ,shall we say,i am a trifle disconcerted at present.What do you think?

Guest SO,DIZZY
Hiya,recently ive noticed the cost of foodstuffs here in Adelaide is quite extortionate when comparing to what we were paying for everyday items in the UK just 8 months ago,like double or more in some cases!It aint as if the wages are double in unison,so ,shall we say,i am a trifle disconcerted at present.What do you think?

things here in the uk are getting absolutly extortionate also a decent loaf is £130 now and all the things we have taken for granted beans, ketchup,tin tomatoes,to name a few.... cucumber is now 90p in asda, things ive always thought of as every day items are now luxuaries...

dizz..:no:all is not good...

Guest proud2beaussie

There are some things that are fairly expensive in Australian supermarkets but some things are cheaper than the UK,I'm comparing prices that I saw in the UK supermarkets when I was there last year,I think a lot of things would be quite similar in price ,Dizzy says £1.30 for a loaf which is about

$2.63 in aussie money and that's about what I pay here for a loaf.I think some meat is cheaper here but I found things like poultry to be quite cheap in London last year.

Beer is more expensive here but I find I can get good wine at cheap prices.

It's all swings and roundabouts I guess but I don't think I would say prices here were "extortionate" but certainly some things are very expensive,others are cheaper.

Hi Rockola,

I can't compare prices but I can compare my shopping habits...if that makes sense?:goofy:

Prices here can fluctuate wildly so I buy whatever is best value and work out menus accordingly. Some weeks/months I may not be able to buy particular veggies or I'll choose different cuts of meat. I look at what's on offer i.e. a particular brand of chips or where the ice coffee is cheapest and buy accordingly. It's not a problem and really takes no longer. If you're really being careful, why not go to central Market or any of the shops near closing time and pick up the bargains there? Or go to wholesale butchers, proper fruit and vegie shops? etc?

Maybe it's a time thing and eventually you will fall into a way of buying that works for you? I personally will never buy clothes, manchester etc unless there's a sale - they come so regularly, unless you are desperate to buy a particular item why not just wait?

Buying stuff is kinda essential but a bit boring! As long as the money goes round -even if it's just lol!- I don't worry. But then that's just me...

a Lazy Cow!:wub:

• 2 months later...
Guest adelaidewannabe

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'll be in Adelaide from UK for a month in October and can't find anywhere on the web the cost of toiletries. Should I bring them with me? I don't want to use my luggage allowance on stuff I don't need! :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest browny133
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'll be in Adelaide from UK for a month in October and can't find anywhere on the web the cost of toiletries. Should I bring them with me? I don't want to use my luggage allowance on stuff I don't need! :wub:

Toiletries aren't any more expensive here, but you can't get Mint Source shower gel, irritatingly. Fill your bag with money, much more useful.

Guest tester23

We are a young couple and my fiancee cooks awesome gourmet meals most nights and we budget $150 AUD per week for food shopping here in adelaide

Guest asrais

Most weeks we spend about $120 a week on groceries (just two of us) which, by comparison to Ireland works out at a bout half of what we would have spent at home.

I look for whatever is on special offer, some weeks are better than others - this week I spent only $90 for the week!

For toiletries, I find it works out best if you browse the pharmacies and supermarkets- one of them is bound to have some sort of special on.

On Channel 7 (Today tonight) last night, there was a section on the cost of living comparing Australian supermarkets and UK supermarkets and they found that a basket of branded goods were on average over 30% dearer in Australia than the UK. Items that were made in Au such as Vegemite it was cheaper to buy in the UK than Au. A supermarket spokesman said that was because it is a staple diet here. That's Aussie style competition for you.

Mike

Archived