Please help, we have flights booked but may have problems in Hong Kong

Hello, bear with me as I don't fully understand the situation fully myself.

Hubby booked tickets on a website last week for Cathay Pacific to go to Brisbane, stopping at Hong Kong to refuel.

Hubby contacted ticket company as we have no tickets through and need to check for time of the flight leaving in Hong Kong, as we're meeting up with friends.

The problem starts here, hubby booked the tickets using 1st names and surnames, now a gentleman from the place where we booked the tickets tells us we may not be able to board the next plane from Hong Kong to Brisbane, as the tickets do not have our middle names included on them, as they will be checked against our passports that obviously do have our full names on them.

The man said we have to cancel the tickets to rebook them ( thus paying more as we have noticed the prices have gone up).

Has anyone been in a similar situation, and if so what did u do. Why should including middle names on flight tickets be so important????

If this isn't making sense please feel free to leave a message for me. I shall get hubby on here as i'm still confused and trying to pack aaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

hi there, it all depends on the company you booked with, I didnt have a initial in my name correct my name is RIKKI-ANN and the hyphan was missing, but they said that was ok, but we flew with singapore airlines and it was inportant that the ticket matched the passport, they make it clear that it is your responsability to ensure the names on the tickets correspond with your passports............. you could always play it that as far as you were aware you processed the booking correctly and didnt notice anything was wrong.....worth a try ring the connecting aircompany up direct , i did and they wavered it good luck

Guest Emcooper

wow I didnt know that, I cant remember if they took my middle name last yr or not. I flew with cathay pacific but mine were e-tickets, so I didnt actually get physical tickets in my hand, it was all done on computer but I made sure I had an itinery.

Can you email or phone someone from cathay and ask. Surely if they wanted middle names, it was their responsibility to ask for them in the first place, they are the travel agent and they should have known?

Guest mandisfam

I always understood that most companies dont put middle names on flight tickets, simply because if its mis-spell then you may not be able to fly. So it just best not to bother adding it.

I just booked flights to Italy, for a summer holiday and I never used middle names just first and last names.

Like others have said I would ring Cathy and see what they say.

Mandisfam

Guest SO,DIZZY

had similar problem last year with neices tickets for turkey.. her surname was spelled incorectly.. the booking agent tried to fobb us off with it will be alright with the airline but i double checked and they said its a discretional thing at the check in.. but if the error changes the name dramatically especialy in surnames then it can be refused... my passport on the other hand has my middle name and i dont ever remember using it on any flights.. but then do you realy want to take the chance and be stranded in hong kong.. we did however insist that it was changed by the booking agent which was also over internet and made them pay the charge.. it was there responsibility for making the mistake in that case not sure how you stand in yours,, it is usially a forty pound charge per pasenger but different airlines may charge more or less... good luck.. but call and be sure..

cheers dizz

I fly regularly and have been through HKG numerous times. (and often checking in at hkg) I have never had my middle name on tkts so you should be fine. Are you just 'in transit' at HKG or are you going to retrieve your bags and enter hkg before catching the next flight? Enjoy the trip, HKG is a good airport....

How odd. Dont think I have ever used my middle name when booking tickets.

However, if you are just in transit for refuelling and havent booked two distinct flights then you probably wouldnt be leaving transit and getting to meet friends - the turn around on contining flights is usually pretty short - like an hour or less. If you booked on two flights then surely your e-ticket would give you the details of departure. If you havent got an e-ticket then I would seriously be questioning the agency that took your money as these things tend to be immediate these days.

I am a journalist, and travelled quite often. For my tickets, I usually use my second name and family name only, despite i have my first name in the passport as well. actually in my passports, i have four names, but I only use two of them in my daily life. my name is l... s... w... n. and I only use s..w.. I never encountered any big problem for that. I don't this thing matter much with the airline. I think as long as you name are in the passport. Sometime just little bit explanation will sort the problem out.

Regards

Wijay

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Tracey J,

I smell a rat,I've been a travel agent for a long time and never had an issue like this,I think I can help here,if you would kindly send me a PM with details of your Cathay Pacific flight number etc and the booking reference that you have been given I will check the Cathay GDS reservations system.

Please also tell me in the PM the details of the agent you used and if necessary I will rebook you myself and cover any extra cost,but I honestly can't see an issue here and I don't know why the agent is telling you there is.

Guest proud2beaussie
nigel you are without a doubt a very nice man..

rgrds dizz.....

There might be a few people in the world who disagree with you but thank you,I try

my best to help people who are getting a raw deal.:notworthy:

Yes, sounds like rubbish to me - my concern would be whether you are booked on the flight at all. Nigel sounds the man in the best position to check this out. I have booked and paid for flights on Cathay for 5 adult fares and two child - someone said that fares had come down and I should look at cancelling and rebooking - haven't checked that one out yet.

Regards

Guest Gollywobbler

Hmmm.

I am in the Cathay Pacific site now, spoof-booking a flight from HKG to Brisbane.

The airline's own on-line booking system only wants my family/last name and my first/given name. It has no box(es) to enable me to include middle names anyway even if I wanted to include them. Even though they are on my birth certificate and therefore in my passport as well, Cathay plainly do not need them in order to book flights.

Very odd.

Gill

Archived