wot do aussies think of us brits?

stacybird123

Guest THE JONEZYS

Can't say I have ever experianced resentment.

Bemused mabey, they can't understand why we would want to leave such a cool place as England to live in Aus':wacko:

As sson as they here your accent they want to chat and tell you about there family in UK.

My oh is a tradie and has said it can get a bit clickie on site.

I have Ausie born & bred family here and what I have learnt from them is that they are the worlds best at winding you up and taking the piss BUT they just love it when you give it back!! They really are some of the funniest people I have ever met.

I'm sure there are some out there that don't like us but you will find that the world over!!

LESLEY

Guest mandyg
Hi,

Do australians like us poms??? Be honest those of you who are living there. Do they resent us for coming over and taking there jobs etc?

stacy

Hi stacey i wouldnt worry about wether aussies like you or not at the end of the day this is a free world and if our skills are needed in there country you will probebly find most employers would welcome your skill with open arms as apparantly there short of skilled workers and proffesionalls and lets be honest us brits (well most of us anyway) are grafters and not lay abouts and were not going over there to nick there council homes and claim as many benefits as poss are we were going over there for a better standard of living but we have to work for it and so we should ! Dont think australia is as soft as the uk and open its doors to criminals and lazy gits who wanna steal of the workers. I have this little saying that if you went to the pub each saturday evening and everyone sat at the same table as you put a pound in a pot each week so that come christmas they could all have a free few drinks out of the pot and then a stranger came in and nicked your free drink one who had never put a pound in the pot all year round then you woul be a little peed off lol well thats how i see the benefits system in this country those who had never put a quid into the system seem to get it all and us idiots keep topping up the pot for them lol Anyway the point is were going over there to work not to take what belongs to them so if they dont like us just cos were brits then there a bit sad but i dont think thats the case but like lesley sai in her post hatred is world over just let it go over your head if u experience it and enjoy your life werever u go dont worry be happy.

I've found the same as Lesley really, been told so many times that they can't contemplate the fact that we've left everything and gone to the other side of the world. I haven't yet met anyone who has been unfriendly in fact it's been the opposite people have been really helpful.

Ali

Hi Stacy

l agree with the others on here. The impression we were given when chattin with the ozzies when we were over there is that we are more than welcome as long as we contribute and 'muck in' with them.

And they definately love it when you 'give as good as you get' in a good hearted way.

They dont like it if you get all 'toffee nosed' with them and l quite agree with them. l get the ar**ache with any one like that too :)

Lyn x

Paul's had the mickey taken out of him a few times, but to be honest if they weren't taking the mickey out of him being a pom, I guess it'd be his ears instead!# He says it can wear a bit thin, but he gives as good as he gets, so no worries there.

On a more serious note, he has been asked how he feels about 'taking jobs an Aussie could do', but he dealt with them in his usual charming way!

Otherwise it's all good. We give as good as we get, try not to spend every minute with other Brits, help out at school*,and generally assimilate the way we used to hope immigrants to the UK would. And we barrack for Australia when it comes to soccer, cricket etc!

LC

# No, Paul, your ears aren't really big ok?

*School's in SA depend on parent support for the canteen etc. In public schools anyway, dinner ladies don't really exist. The canteen manager gets paid, the rest of us are parents helping out.Same, to a lesser extent with teacher's assistants.

Guest tinbasher

Some of them have a problem with my accent; I have to repeat myself over and over and again. I have even had to write things down. Then they say things like, 'Why didn't you say that in the first place!'

A Chinese chap had problems understanding my hubbie and he asked him why he didn't speak English, he told him that he was &*^%&^* English!!

All good fun. They are all really nice people until they get into their cars. :no:

Mrs TinB

• 6 years later...

Well liked if you are friendly and can cope with the highs and lows are generally happy to help out importantly look out for each other.

The joking about in Australia has its roots in easing stress when times are challenging. It is not personal and if it sounds like that to a Brit then they should tell the Aussie to give it a break because they are being a real bastard.

Hopefully they will reply "I am truely sorry buthead" with an ironic hint of cheek.

If you come over to work tell your new Aussie colleagues that you have come to take their jobs as a conversation opener. They will probably say that's okay we will be back next Monday or can you take my job first.

Its as imperfect as any place on earth and you will be astute enough to avoid the stereotypical twit. Every country grows them.

The British sense of humour is well loved here.

Cheers.

Archived