Does Adelaide have alot of Greenery?

Guest SamSam

Guest Guest9973
He tasted nice though - kind of made up for it

:arghh: Bloomin' meat eaters!!!!!

Still, :hug: LC

No.................Piscatorial devourers!!!

Caught a huge amount of Snapper last night .Yum!!!!!!!

Load of Tommies & Smokehouse Cod today,Mrs Tyke had great fun yanking em' out of the water............. a litte too overzealous though - they kept flying past me.

All filleted and ready for the smoker in the morning. Yum and double yum.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bentkitty
Yup - lots of brown and sun burnt areas in summer.

Great to see some rain and the green return - trouble is that winter here produces some voracious weeds as well.

Don't talk to me about Soursob - damn stuff!!!!

What on earth is 'Soursob'???:eek:

Soursob is a little plant with green leaves that are a bit like clover leaves and a small yellow flower.

It grows like wildfire but the important thing as far as kids are concerned is....it tastes good if you suck it! It has a (you've guessed it!) sour flavour and is part of childhood and winter here!

:wink: LC

Guest IrishInOz

Gold in summer and green in winter - thus our national colours of Green and Gold.

In terms of 'Alot of Greenery' each State has its own type of greenery depending on the cooler climate of the southern States to the tropical northern States.

My preference for the lush green landscapes would be Victoria and Tasmania.

Cheers.

Guest SamSam
Gold in summer and green in winter - thus our national colours of Green and Gold.

In terms of 'Alot of Greenery' each State has its own type of greenery depending on the cooler climate of the southern States to the tropical northern States.

My preference for the lush green landscapes would be Victoria and Tasmania.

Cheers.

Hi IrishinOz,

That is really interesting to know thank you.

I have been doing lots of google earth searchs and to be honest a lot of the land looks brown but around Adelaide looks very green.

Which part of SA are you in?

Look forward to hearing from you.

SamSam

Guest IrishInOz
Hi IrishinOz,

That is really interesting to know thank you.

I have been doing lots of google earth searchs and to be honest a lot of the land looks brown but around Adelaide looks very green.

Which part of SA are you in?

Look forward to hearing from you.

SamSam

Not Crow Eater Country, Sam, I am from The Garden State.

In the southern States the landscape in winter is green and in summer a golden brown.

The following photo is of a town in east Victoria taken in winter, two years later during the hot summer period it was surrounded by bush fires.

The poem by Dorothea MacKellar, 'My Country' says it all and it would be worth a 'Google'.

swiftscreekxn7.jpg

Guest SamSam
Not Crow Eater Country, Sam, I am from The Garden State.

In the southern States the landscape in winter is green and in summer a golden brown.

The following photo is of a town in east Victoria taken in winter, two years later during the hot summer period it was surrounded by bush fires.

The poem by Dorothea MacKellar, 'My Country' says it all and it would be worth a 'Google'.

swiftscreekxn7.jpg

Wow you can't greener than that can you.

What beautiful picture.

Thanks Iris, much appreciated.

SamSam

I am an Adelaidian and yes there is only a few months where the grass is not brown. Kikuyu grass dies off in winter over here so it is no where near as lush as English grass.

The kids will be playing in dust more than puddles...unless of course you move to the AdelaideHills.

Oo are ya

• 1 month later...
Guest maggi

Adelaide has many green areas but unfortunately with lack of water in the summer its quite brown or gold !! but we are rewarded by great beaches and wonderful sunshine and when we do have a good bit of rain everything goes green again, but unlike the UK we do have blue skies and sunshine in the winter months.

Guest Stella38

Hi Maggi,

I would say more burnt from the sun than gold!

After looking at the rainfall stats for the past few years we had better get a move on with that Desalination plant...and perhaps looking to the future build another for good measure...or we will turn into an arabian state...which would not work either as we cannot have tall buildings in Adelaide (rant finished).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest9973

Well I reckon Adelaide is well and truly emerald green at the moment.

Just returned from my hols to a jungle!

2 days to cut and tidy 2.5 very lush acres!!!:cute::cute:

Guest SamSam

Wow, my hubby wants to have your jungle!

He loves having land and we want the same when we move to Oz but i'm not sure, does it bring lots of snakes and other creepy crawlies. My hubby tells me if it's always kept short they only like long grass but i'm not so convinced!

SamSam x

Guest Guest9973
Wow, my hubby wants to have your jungle!

He loves having land and we want the same when we move to Oz but i'm not sure, does it bring lots of snakes and other creepy crawlies. My hubby tells me if it's always kept short they only like long grass but i'm not so convinced!

SamSam x

It's raining and making the grass even greener and longer today.

You probably will see a few more beasties if you live in rural/ semi rural areas , it just goes with the territory I'm afraid.

I do keep the grass short so I can see what is coming but now it's winter there are no snakes.

It's a good thing to keep it short due to fire risk in summer as well.

We love where we live , nice compromise of semi rural and suburbia.

We are accustomed to what nature can throw at us now - you quickly get used to it :smile::smile:

Guest Guest9973
Theres allways loads of "green grass" in the smoking areas outside the pubs later on in the night:yes::notworthy:

Aye, plenty - we were in the Aussie Inn last night.

Not seen Roland for a while.

Guest proud2beaussie
My hubby tells me if it's always kept short they only like long grass

After living in Australia for 44 years I can tell you that is a myth.

However the benefit of keeping the grass short is that if a snake is around you will see it and can take steps to manage the situation and avoid it-in long grass you are more likely to step on one and get bitten.

Guest Guest9973
He'l be "floating" about somewhere mate! tell them i was asking about them

:laugh:

We were in the Old Noarlunga pub on Weds as well - thought of you guys then.

Met some nice folk in there who actually did NOT offer us anything!!!

Just got back from our hols in the South Pacific tell your better half I'm looking forward to getting out and catching some "Jimmies" to smoke :laugh: (It's a fish / joke to those who don't know the joke)

:laugh:

We were in the Old Noarlunga pub on Weds as well - thought of you guys then.

Met some nice folk in there who actually did NOT offer us anything!!!

Just got back from our hols in the South Pacific tell your better half I'm looking forward to getting out and catching some "Jimmies" to smoke :laugh: (It's a fish / joke to those who don't know the joke)

Lol! never got offered some?! its probably my face russell,must look like a reprobate/scally eh! well im sure you will have enjoyed slumming it in the south pacific mate! i'l tell her about the jimmies!

Archived