Buying a car in Oz on a 457 visa

ajs604

Hi everyone - would appreciate any advice on the following. I am moving out to Bundaberg in a few days on a 457 visa. I need to buy a car and have reserved myself around $3,500-5000 - I am totally confused by how car insurance works out here. How much would I be looking at getting a car taxed and insured. I am only coming out with $10,000 so need to allow money for other things like rent, furniture ect. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Guest chris_mac
Hi everyone - would appreciate any advice on the following. I am moving out to Bundaberg in a few days on a 457 visa. I need to buy a car and have reserved myself around $3,500-5000 - I am totally confused by how car insurance works out here. How much would I be looking at getting a car taxed and insured. I am only coming out with $10,000 so need to allow money for other things like rent, furniture ect. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Hi Ajs

Check out this link, has some good info and tips

Buying second hand cars in oz - how to ensure that the car is likely to last? : British Expat Discussion Forum

Best wishes

Chris

Hi.

We are in Sydney on a 457 and hubby and I have both bought cars since we got here 5 weeks ago, so it is still pretty fresh in our minds. Obviously we are in NSW, so Queensland might be different. Have a look on here for info for licensing and registration (rego) Queensland Transport

Firstly, we had to get a customer number from the RTA. On a 457 you can't exchange your license for a NSW license until you are here for more than 6 months. However, you can't buy a car unless you are registered with the RTA. So, we had to get a customer number which basically lets us buy a car (because they have a record of us). Then 6 months after we arrived we are able to exchange our license for a NSW one.

My car was new but hubbys was second hand. We bought it through a dealer because neither of us know much about cars, and we felt we were less likely to be ripped off. They included a three year warrantee (they wanted to charge, but hubby negotiated a bit of a discount). They also included the on the road costs (rego and green-slip which is the compulsory third party insurance) etc. However you will have to pay stamp duty, at least we did here in NSW, it was 3% of the purchase price so you will need to factor it in if it is payable on Queensland.

Not sure if any of this is useful, and if I am wrong about any of it I am sure that someone will be along soon to help!

Archived