Newbie - Student visa to PM, any advice please?

Ant And Rach

Hi all

Fantastic site! Not had much of a life away from PC since finding it!

I'm 26, Rach is 27, and we have 2 nips, age 8 (Dec) and 18mths (Maddison).

I have worked as a fire sprinkler fitter for just over 12 months with no formal qualifications. Before that i have been a site labourer and also office based! Rach is currently in an office based/admin role for over 8 years (also no quals).

Since I have no qualifications I feel like I should choose an occupation that really appeals to me and stick with it - Bricklaying in Australian sun (sounds great to me)

So, we are looking to lodge an app for Student Visa (572) so i can study Bricklaying at TAFE Gipps in Melbourne, VIC. Our route is then to apply for graduate visa (485) to gain work experience, followed by an application for Perm. Residence.

I have thoroughly researched into the proccesses and often been confused. Our house is going on the market in next week or 2 under price for quick(er) sale. We stand to make around £40K from this which will be our budget. We not big spenders so feel we can manage with this after working out school and course fees, rentals, car, etc.

Just worried with these changes and the current climate. Don't want to end up back in England with all lost, after studying in Oz!

I invite people to shoot holes in my plan! :hug: Seriously, any advice greatly appreciated.

Many many thanks

Ant and Rach :wacko:

I am aware Bricklaying has been removed from the Critical Skills List and the new changes, etc. But with me studying for 2 years and course won't be starting till Feb 2010, maybe i am hoping the job situation and this bloody reccession/credit crunch will have evaporated by the time i graduate in 2012.

I am currently out of work in my current job as sprinkler fitter anyway and have been since Jan, so just feel like going for it and studying instead of driving myself mad scraping around for work - Am i mad?:goofy:

Hello Ant and Rach,

Welcome to Poms in Oz!

I have a read through your plan and it sounds do-able. You need to be aware that Gippsland TAFE has campuses in Metro Melbourne as well as Regional Victoria. Regional Vic is better for you as you will gain an extra 5 points if you complete your study there. Also rental prices are typically cheaper in the Regional areas.

All the best.

Regards

Guest NikiOH

Hi guys. I thought I would warn you how expensive it is here. I don't mean to pee on your fireworks but just be careful with your budgeting because as anyone on this site will tell you, your money doesn't last 5 minutes living here (and I'm married to someone over careful with money!!!). If anything, completely over budget to expect the worst then anything better than that will be a bonus!!! Sorry to sound like a pooper but although £40,000 IS a lot of money, the cost of living out here is huge!!!!! Good luck with it all x

Thanks for the responses everyone.

After looking at the State Sponsorship Occupations in Demand lists for all states, bricklaying doesn't feature on any so maybe bricklaying is a bit of a dying trade. If it isn't on them lists you would assume bricklaying just isn't of much demand in Australia. Thankfully, i'm not fussy which trade i do as i am a 'work to live' person rather than other way round. As long as it is 'hands on' and there is gonna be jobs to apply for once i'm qualified, i'm happy.

Maybe i should look at a Floor/wall tiling course since this remains on the Critical Skills List. However, who knows what'll be on the list come 2012 when i'm qualified? Does anyone know of reasons why this occupation remains in demand? Maybe all the swimming pools that need tiling?? lol

SD MOA: Thanks for the advice on regional areas, will def look at that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cummings

Hi Ant & Rach,

Welcome to Poms in Oz! Ive just found this site and think its great :-)

After alot of research and talking to a million migration agencies (well thats what it feels like) i think our only option is to go on the 572 student visa as well.

Like you, there's me, the oh & 2 young kids and we'll hopefully be heading to Perth as we have alot of family there

All the agents weve spoken to says it's very risky but at the moment isnt it all abit risky, time consuming & costly, ... so the way were looking at it is if it all goes to plan, after 2 yrs when the course has finished, fingers crossed it will still be on the critical list or the modl list, and if it is great, hopefully get pr, if it's not then lets just say it was a very expensive 2 yr holiday and you've gained an extra skill.

Were gonna be putting our house up for sale in a couple of months, paying for the course, getting the visa ect and should be in oz in jan 2010 to start the course in feb 2010

Well thats the plan anyway! :-) When it's all down on paper it all seems pretty easy doesnt it, lol

The costs ive found out so far are below, they'll prob be abit different due to it being a different state but here goes ...

£9500 - 2 yr computing course - tafe

£1500 - Visa / Medicals / Police Checks

£1500 - Flights - Jan 2010

£3500 - 20ft Crate

---------

£16,000

---------

then about £30,000 for the following, ive costed things as worst case senario (no jobs ect)

Buy a car

2 yrs Rent

2 yrs car ins

2 yrs contents ins

2 yrs house bills, gas, elect, water, rates, food, ect ect

So thats £46,000 just there, but think melbournes abit cheaper then perth, but at least it might give you an idea.

Let us know how you go on with your plans

Rachel, Paul, Tyler (2) Alexa (10 months) (Rocs - Puppy) x

Archived