carpet, amtico, laminate and wood floor fitter

stacybird123

Hi, my husband is a carpet, laminate, wood and amtico and karndean approved fitter. We have been told by our migration agent that there is tons of work for him out in oz and will find work anywhere in oz near major cities. Is he right or is he giving us rubbish so he can sign us up and get our fee. We are going out to perth to see for ourselves in may but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it for us before we go. My husband's trade has recently been added to the mod list or something and apparantly there is a demand for them. But i spoke to my uncle in queensland and he seem to think there was too many carpet fitters already, so very mixed opinions and im so confused. Does any body know any more on this subject? or is there any migrating floor finishers out there that can help?

many thanks and kind regards,

stacy

Guest donovan
Hi, my husband is a carpet, laminate, wood and amtico and karndean approved fitter. We have been told by our migration agent that there is tons of work for him out in oz and will find work anywhere in oz near major cities. Is he right or is he giving us rubbish so he can sign us up and get our fee. We are going out to perth to see for ourselves in may but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it for us before we go. My husband's trade has recently been added to the mod list or something and apparantly there is a demand for them. But i spoke to my uncle in queensland and he seem to think there was too many carpet fitters already, so very mixed opinions and im so confused. Does any body know any more on this subject? or is there any migrating floor finishers out there that can help?

many thanks and kind regards,

stacy

Hi my husband is in the same line of work, we are moving to Gold Coast area, (when we sell the house) your husband will have no problem finding work, probably with a better wage than he earns here. What I did was email my husbands cv to companys in the area we wanted to move to, we then visited them a couple of months later , so found that their is plenty of work for this trade

Hope this helps

Sarahx

really thats great!............................I would think laying carpets and floors would be easier in oz too as there are not many stair cases to fit as mostly bungalows and my husband hates doing stairs as they are more time consuming, so this is a real bonus. At the moment my husband earns around £700 to £1500 a week depending on workload, and he is self-employed working mainly in london. We have a £170,000 morgage here which costs us rougly £1000 a month. If we were to move to perth we would propably be taking £70,000 in total with us. would this realistically be enough as i noticed the average 3/4 bed bungalow will cost us around £150,000 (and more than i expected to be honest), so basically we will have a morage of around £90,000 in oz. Would my husband earn enough to pay this and our living costs or are we not being realistic.

many thanks again and kind regards,

stacy

Guest skyblue

Hi there, we are in the same boat ourselves, (i.e. my husband is a carpet fitter). We are also hoping to move to Perth. We too didn't have much information on how the wages in Oz compared to those in UK but since posting some questions on this site, we have had good responses, saying that carpet fitters can expect to earn more in Oz for laying less carpet than in the UK per day. If we find any more information that might help we will pass it on to you. Good luck. Sarah.

• 9 months later...

There is alot of work here in OZ.

The best thing that a Flooring Installer can do is what your husband is doing.

Lots of Installers here only install carpet or only vinyl & if you can do everything dommestic & commercial you will be set up for ever in the Flooring sector.

My installers average Aus $500/day as contractors, obviously they have to take expenses out of that, but you can earn more than that if you put the effort in, but also as you know flooring is a physically demanding job & I guess it depends on how much you want to put your body thru.

If anybody ever had problems looking for work in the flooring industry, try any Carpet Court store you can find or even talk to Carpet Court Head office in Sydney.

Ask to talk to Brian King or Clayton Williamson & they would know someone looking for Installers.

Brian King is a Pom & is the main man behind one of Australia's biggest Retail Flooring Groups.

If you want a laugh ask Clayton how his Roller Door is going?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest roantreemj
have you guys already got your visa's sorted or are you waiting for pathway d to come back in? My other half is a fitter and we are looking to do the visa thing asap.

Waiting for pathway D to come back in ..................????? Have you heard something concrete at all on this happening. My OH in the same line of work and we are too hoping it will come back in.........................so now wondering if anyone has heard anything about the 'D' pathway!!!!!!!!!! Got an awful lot counting on this...................:nah:

hi i am a carpet fitter and hoping to go to brisbane end of this year lucky for me i passed my tra in september just before they closed the pathway thought i had missed the boat so know how you must feel i think it will open again soon just in a different format.hoping to go out in the summer to try and get set up with some work but donovan has posted before if your willing to work ten there is plenty of work around(i hope)

• 4 months later...
Guest pete and gaynor

hi ,gizmoe we are planning to move to perth as soon as we sell the house we've got our visa's ,

i've been in the flooring trade for over 20 years , i instsall nearly all types of floorcoverings,

karndean,amtico, altro, polysafe , carpets, laminate i also have my trade qualifications up to N.V.Q. level 2 do you think we have a chance in oz mate?

Guest donovan

No worries Pete & Gaynor

You will find plenty of work in Oz as they are crying out for good fitters, I know 2 men that moved to Perth a few years ago who are doing well, lot touch now but last I heard they were doing well. My husband is a floor finisher and although you do have to be prepared for slow periods as in the UK and changes in fitting as things are done slightly different over here, I am sure you will be fine.

Try and send his your over to as many companies as you can, best to do this when you know when you will be arriving in Oz, this should get you some response as it did my Oh.

Hope this helps

Sarah x

Guest charliebell

hi guysso pleased i have found more floor fitters in the same situation!!!!

my boyfriend has his own business and we are desperate to move to oz but again waiting for pathway D

we have been told we could go on the regional sponsered migration scheme but not too sure about this is it easy to find an employer willing to sponser you???

Guest pete and gaynor

that's great news sarah, we can't wait to get there. we thought of going to perth but as we have got a skilled trade visa i guess we could relocate to any area . could you give us any on how to contact any flooring contractors or flooring retailers in oz , here's my email address and web site peter-ringland@hotmail.com

peter-ringland-flooring-services i know it's a lot to ask but when i've googled carpet stores in perth, none of them give any email address's out.

anyway thank's for the reassuring news as you know yourselves this process can be a bit stressfull and to here from people that are making it work gives us a real buzz

kind regards

pete and gaynor

Archived