Pay attention.... doom and gloom merchants...

Guest philandjo

Don’t you read the papers, The government saying everything is hunky dory.

Don't know where you are bowbrum, but you want to sit and watch Midlands Today local news from ITV for a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTHING hunky dory round my neck of the woods!!!!:arghh:

Sue x

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is exactly my thoughts, and i think it wrong that people get jumped on for posting doom and gloom, if nobody ever did, then no one would know anything about them, i would not want to stop anyone following there dreams, but if i can help just one person making the massive mistake i have, then jobs a good one.

Matt you normally find its the people returning to the UK who jump on posts/threads, not the other way around. We are accused of being liars because we enjoy life here, some of us do work less, some do enjoy their lives and some of us do love Australia .

Neither is this reply aimed at yourself as i know you gave life here a damn good go.

I think its pretty common knowledge that some people are struggling finding work more than others, yes jobs are getting in short supply BUT some areas are still doing okay, ticking over and still employing people. The jobs paper is still published weekly, albeit less jobs than 12 months ago, but still jobs out there. It may mean you cant live by the sea or where you had pinpointed as wanting to live as more populated areas obviously have less work in times like this, it may also mean your job hunting for a month or two rather than a week or two.

Yes people in the UK need to understand moving here isnt as easy as it was 18 mth / 2 yrs ago but its people stating ''theres no jobs dont move'' that i personally disagree with because there are still jobs out there for many people of all different occupations. Cal x

This is what stresses me out hearing that there are no jobs. There are loads advertised in my OH perfession both on seek and on the government website also we have googled individual companies and on their indivdual websites there are lots with vacancies. Now we do not have our visa so we cannot realistically start applying for jobs as we have no idea when we will be able to start, but we have chosen to have a job lined up for the OH before we arrive in Oz, we are planning for this. But constantly being told there are no jobs and people are going hungry ect. may be a reality for some but we should all be allowed to experience this without getting jumped on for trying to remain positive.

Guest proud2beaussie
Don’t you read the papers, The government saying everything is hunky dory.

And I don't think the aussie government thinks it's all hunky dory either otherwise they wouldn't have just pushed through a $42 billion dollar package designed to stimulate the economy.

Guest bowbrum03
And I don't think the aussie government thinks it's all hunky dory either otherwise they wouldn't have just pushed through a $42 billion dollar package designed to stimulate the economy.

Ohhhh, so what you are saying there is a problem, and people need too be aware.

One minute you say its ok, the next you say there is a problem.

Some times I think you get a little mixed up :wacko::confused:

Ohhhh, so what you are saying there is a problem, and people need too be aware.

One minute you say its ok, the next you say there is a problem.

Some times I think you get a little mixed up :wacko::confused:

So Nigel's being too subtle for you??

Let me help.

There are problems in lots of industries.

We all know that. Some people from first hand experience.

Not everyone is out of work, or will be out of work.

Guest proud2beaussie

I really don't understand you,where have I said it's ok? For the last three months I have been saying that australia is in a recession but that I believe it will be a short one.and today I have defended the right of someone to post good news when they have it (something which you evidently cant handle) and then I said that the Australian government has spent money trying to stimulate the economy.

You dont seem to understand that just because there is a recession on that people do actually still find work and there is no need to jump on them just because they post something positive which is not to the liking of doomsayers .

I dont think there is any conflict there at all.but in case you still need to have another read.

here is my opinion.

Ausralia is in a recession and some sectors of the economy are struggling,notably construction and to a lesser extent retail sales.my thoughts are that in the short term things may generally get a bit worse but I agree with the chairman of the US federal reserve who is predicting an upturn probably by later this year or early next.so things are going to be tough for awhile but I don't think it will last too long,and having said all that some people will continue getting jobs if there is a demand in their industry.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Guest bowbrum03
So Nigel's being too subtle for you??

Let me help.

There are problems in lots of industries.

We all know that. Some people from first hand experience.

And what is your point, you need too read all the posts before you jump in.

What has your comments got to do with the post below :confused:

You don’t say, I doubt anyone has ever said different:confused:

Guest proud2beaussie

BTW BowBrum exactly where does the government say everything is hunky dory ,and which government?I thought you were in Australia now so I assume you mean the aussie government?.

I would be genuinely interested to read what you are referring to because if they are saying that on one hand then spending $42 billion on the other then something is rotten in Denmark.

Guest bhawkes

totally agree with you mate ! I'm emigrating to queensland in October 2009 with my wife and 2 young girls, very much looking forward to it with an open mind. I'm a plumber and if I don't get work I'll do something else until I get my licence. We will have our ups and downs like every couple does but we'll deal with it. I think if you go over there blind without doing any research then it'll be very hard and you'll be back on the plane before you can say ' Skippy the kangaroo ' At the end of the day it's not for everyone and if you want it that bad try and stay positive and most of all take every day as it comes and enjoy it... regards Barry

Guest kazmatt
Matt you normally find its the people returning to the UK who jump on posts/threads, not the other way around. We are accused of being liars because we enjoy life here, some of us do work less, some do enjoy their lives and some of us do love Australia .

Neither is this reply aimed at yourself as i know you gave life here a damn good go.

I think its pretty common knowledge that some people are struggling finding work more than others, yes jobs are getting in short supply BUT some areas are still doing okay, ticking over and still employing people. The jobs paper is still published weekly, albeit less jobs than 12 months ago, but still jobs out there. It may mean you cant live by the sea or where you had pinpointed as wanting to live as more populated areas obviously have less work in times like this, it may also mean your job hunting for a month or two rather than a week or two.

Yes people in the UK need to understand moving here isnt as easy as it was 18 mth / 2 yrs ago but its people stating ''theres no jobs dont move'' that i personally disagree with because there are still jobs out there for many people of all different occupations. Cal x

sorry cal, dont mean to be touching a nerve with anyone, i realise things just did not work out for us, and i wish everyone the best of luck in there ventures, i am just venting my angers, i thank you and gary for all your help, and hope we can keep in touch from time to time, matt.

Guest proud2beaussie

matt,as I have said in other posts you are free to vent your frustration anytime you like,from my point of view and I repeat if there is anything I can do for you in regards to a cheap airfare if you fancy a break for a few days then just send me a PM.

Cheers

Guest kazmatt
This is what stresses me out hearing that there are no jobs. There are loads advertised in my OH perfession both on seek and on the government website also we have googled individual companies and on their indivdual websites there are lots with vacancies. Now we do not have our visa so we cannot realistically start applying for jobs as we have no idea when we will be able to start, but we have chosen to have a job lined up for the OH before we arrive in Oz, we are planning for this. But constantly being told there are no jobs and people are going hungry ect. may be a reality for some but we should all be allowed to experience this without getting jumped on for trying to remain positive.

sorry dont want to put anyone off there dreams, if someone told me all the pitfalls before i came, i know for a fact i still would have come, dont have any sleepless nights, you dont need to, things work out for a large number of people and you may well be one of them, just relax and take it in your own stride, as cal said you may well find work no problem, good luck.

Hi,

Just want to put my point of view. I'm not saying anyones opinion is right or wrong because all of our situations are different. We are all following a dream, it is something we felt we had to do before we got to old maybe. My father passed away aged 61 before he had chance to enjoy his retirement. My wifes mum died aged 58 before she had chance to fullfill her dreams. We felt we had to do it before it was to late. We have been in Perth 6 months and love it and our children love it. In my opinion it is a great place to live and work and speaking to friends, family and ex work colleages back in the UK they would gladly swap their situation with ours.

I play in a golf society here with 31 other expats from different backgrounds and from different parts of the UK. A few have been here many years, a few have only been here a year or less. I have just got back from our regular monthly game and have managed to speak with most of the guys over past few months and no one regrets their decision, they love it here and have no intention of going back. It's not perfect, nowhere is but it's good for us. There are quite a few neg threads about Perth on here but we love it, beaches, city, weather, loads to see and do if you just bother to get off your arse and explore. Don't compare it with the UK, come with an open mind, make an effort to make friends and just enjoy. I have had a few beers, so rant over, sorry about the spelling mistakes, goodnight.

Mark.

Well said Phil and Jo! I love my life out here! Its a better life out here for me! Life out here does work and I have a few members who are disheartened with the "doom and gloomers". Some of the doom and gloomers are making people think twice about what was their dream.

We are here to give real facts, answer questions honestly and most of all ...to help!

TO everyone waiting for a visa: Do NOT let the doom and gloomers put you off. Yeah life will be hard. Yeah, you will face the same things as you did in the UK but on a different scale. Yeah you will still be working and paying bills BUT if you are like me, your quality of life will improve.

I now live to work, I dont work to live.

you should work to live though shouldn't you?

Guest treesea
i think we need the doom and gloomers to keep all of us in touch with reality,there are some extreme opinions on here but to get a balanced view you need to know the good and the bad.

Because of all the negative posts about work ii am worried about work when i go and so i should be i have 3 children to look out for and stupid would it be for my family to go out there and have to come back skint because i wasnt aware of the downside at least i can be prepared fully for what we are about to face,after they are opinions but they opinions of poeple on the ground and they stop people going out with rose tinted glasses.

i hope everyone follows their dream

This is really just a matter of being practical. If you go on a work visa, with no secure job to go to, then make sure you take enough money for two years, i.e. until you can apply for PR. Better still, only go if you go on a PR visa. That way if you do run out of money, you have access to some benefits (Family Benefit, part A and B, rent assistance) from the day you arrive in Australia, i.e. no two year stand down.

Well ofcourse things are bad. Australia has been living off debt and credit cards for the last 10 years. They have inflated houseprices 500% !!... what do you think would happen.

And yes they need immigrants to buy up their overinflated houses, otherwise everything collapses. Now if they stop immigration, you'll see a REAL collapse, of everything around you. People don't realize that immigrants CREATE more jobs than they 'steal'....

I'd agree that immigrants to Australia inflate the house prices something chronic, and even more so now the building industry is under the weather, so not building enough to meet the new demand. But I am not so sure they they create more jobs than they absorb. That sounds like typical media "spin" to me. Given that most people being given visas for Australia are working age and expecting to work for someone else (as opposed to setting up a business and creating new jobs) I would think each new migrant who gets a job prevents someone already in Australia from doing that job. The consumption of one single immigrant wouldn't be enough to create a new job in Australia, i.e. to compensate for the job they are about to absorb.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Ok, I know what I meant! What I meant was I dont need every ounce of my salary just to get by anymore. I dont have to work to live.

Confused??? I am!!!!

I have been fascinated by all the threads etc since hearing my cousin will be relocating due to OH job. I now think she is so fortunate. Her OH is high up in IT and not only is he going to a great job but they provide the house until they find one they want. Her reasons for being sceptical have nothing to do with work or house etc. She is more concerned about fitting in and lifestyle etc. It is worse for her as she loves her home in Edinburgh and her lifestyle. They could choose not to accept the new job in OZ (Perth) but he loves the company and there is a strong chance the company will have him back in the UK in a few years, so they think it would be worth going raher than loose out in the long term Anyway I want to visit them there so they better go now :biglaugh:

Guest Emcooper

Well i havent been on this site for that long but already bored of ppl 'arguing' about which is better, cmon peeps, just let everyone voice their own experiences and opinions without being slated. The main reason i wanted to post on this thread was to say....I havent seen a post from Earl yet.lol as much as some of your posts wind some of us up, I do enjoy seeing them.

Guest treesea

Hi Nigelinoz,

Yes, every now and then these studies get published, but it still smacks a bit of spin to me. I'd agree that immigration creates demand, so overall the total numbers of jobs increases. But I doubt if it increases by exactly the number of jobs absorbed by the migrants. It may well be that a particular job might not exist in Australia, but for the migrant who is now in Australia and has the necessary skills and qualifications to do that particular job. Or something like nursing, where hospitals in Australia would probably be understaffed were it not for migrants. But it seems to me that in some trades - I.T. and building related trades come to mind - there is already insufficient demand for people in these disciplines in Australia to absorb all those wanting work. How does it help those already in Australia if the government, for some inexplicable reason, continues to claim there are shortages in these fields and encourages suitably qualified people to come to Australia? This just forces overall wages down and makes it harder for everyone in these fields to make a living, including the new migrants.

And if I substitute the UK, for Australia, I would be saying exactly the same thing. Who benefits from the greater competition for a scarce resource, in this case jobs? None other than the employer and their shareholders, because they can get cheaper labour. I don't see that the workers themselves benefit from the current migration policies of both our countries, be they a new arrival or already in the country.

Guest kazmatt

i agree with what treesa has said here, a year ago or so a solid plasterer could earn up to 35 to 40 dollars an hour and these jobs where easy to find, now you are looking at around 25-28 dollars an hour, so there has been an impact somwhere along the line, with more people appying for the jobs greedy bosses can reduce the wages knowing people will still take the jobs having no choice.

Guest treesea
i agree with what treesa has said here, a year ago or so a solid plasterer could earn up to 35 to 40 dollars an hour and these jobs where easy to find, now you are looking at around 25-28 dollars an hour, so there has been an impact somwhere along the line, with more people appying for the jobs greedy bosses can reduce the wages knowing people will still take the jobs having no choice.

Over here, we know a couple of brickies working just up the line for £4.50 an hour. I thought everyone has to get paid the minimum wage nowadays in the UK, but these guys are self employed so all that goes by the board. There's four of them living in a one bedroom flat, just so they can keep their living costs down. Our neighbour got a three month accounting contract recently, and it only pays £10 an hour. The going rate was at least 50% more when we first came back, five years ago.

Maybe all this isn't just down to migration, but also because with the new economic order, people are no longer prepared or able to pay the price of goods and services that would support reasonable wages.

Archived