Pay attention.... doom and gloom merchants...

Guest philandjo

Guest philandjo

Now... i agree with some of the things i have read... living the dream... it aint no picnic. But, hey... are any of us listening to whats happening back home?? Friends, family.. all saying ' you made the right move.... went at the right time'... ( maybe they were glad to see the back of us!!).. but seriously... life down under aint all bad.... sure, there is a lot of red tape.... a **** load of red tape..... re-training...licence to paint.. licence to plaster.. licence to fart.... rental bonds.. housing contracts.. unusual taxation process..... things seem foreign..!!! THATS BECAUSE THEY ARE!!!. Jesus... what do you want??... We moved here in feb 2008... i left children behind..( they since been on holiday and loved it )... my step son left his father behind ( he's since been back for a holiday loved his flight home )... we have recently put a contract on a house and are awaiting the outcome....... but we arrived with nothing!! Not a pot to p**s in... quite literally. It aint no bed of roses.. not for a minute.. but life aint anyway.... its worth a bit of a fight.. dont you think?????? If its not for you.. it hasn't worked out... then you leave.. what an experience..... but dont slag it off too much.... it can work.....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JoanneHattersley
Now... i agree with some of the things i have read... living the dream... it aint no picnic. But, hey... are any of us listening to whats happening back home?? Friends, family.. all saying ' you made the right move.... went at the right time'... ( maybe they were glad to see the back of us!!).. but seriously... life down under aint all bad.... sure, there is a lot of red tape.... a **** load of red tape..... re-training...licence to paint.. licence to plaster.. licence to fart.... rental bonds.. housing contracts.. unusual taxation process..... things seem foreign..!!! THATS BECAUSE THEY ARE!!!. Jesus... what do you want??... We moved here in feb 2008... i left children behind..( they since been on holiday and loved it )... my step son left his father behind ( he's since been back for a holiday loved his flight home )... we have recently put a contract on a house and are awaiting the outcome....... but we arrived with nothing!! Not a pot to p**s in... quite literally. It aint no bed of roses.. not for a minute.. but life aint anyway.... its worth a bit of a fight.. dont you think?????? If its not for you.. it hasn't worked out... then you leave.. what an experience..... but dont slag it off too much.... it can work.....

Well said Phil and Jo! I love my life out here! Its a better life out here for me! Life out here does work and I have a few members who are disheartened with the "doom and gloomers". Some of the doom and gloomers are making people think twice about what was their dream.

We are here to give real facts, answer questions honestly and most of all ...to help!

TO everyone waiting for a visa: Do NOT let the doom and gloomers put you off. Yeah life will be hard. Yeah, you will face the same things as you did in the UK but on a different scale. Yeah you will still be working and paying bills BUT if you are like me, your quality of life will improve.

I now live to work, I dont work to live.

Guest bowbrum03
We moved here in feb 2008...

Feb 2008, just in time to find work, as from Aug 2008 the job market started too slow down. Or did you have a job to arrive to, what do you do ?

we arrived with nothing!! Not a pot to p**s in... quite literally.

So would you be advising people to come over without a pot to p**s in, as you put it. With this present economical climate. where there is a very good possibility of not finding work.

I am sure you may have been able too do that in Feb. 2008 but not Feb. 2009

but dont slag it off too much.... it can work.....

Yes it can work……But only if you can find work, or have money too fall back on.

Guest kazmatt

everyones situation is different and if you like it good for you, but we who dont have a right to voice our opinions too, we did not aim to come out here and for it not to work, it just happened, this forum is called poms in oz, not just poms who are enjoying it in oz, thanks.

Guest JoanneHattersley
everyones situation is different and if you like it good for you, but we who dont have a right to voice our opinions too, we did not aim to come out here and for it not to work, it just happened, this forum is called poms in oz, not just poms who are enjoying it in oz, thanks.

I think what Phil and Jo are saying is that there have been a run of negative posts again on PIO! This can get potential VISA holders down when they are so looking fwd to their dream!

Kaz: EVERYONE has a right to their opinion. Especially those who dont as they are the other side of the coin!

Guest proud2beaussie

Matt,

I agree 100% with your comment that PIO is for all poms in oz,not just those who are enjoying it,on that point you are absolutely right,however to be fair to the OP I think he was just trying to be a little positive about the situation when there are so many negative posts about the recession and the situation facing unfortunate people such as yourself and others.

As I have said on other threads I think you in particular have been treated disgracefully by your employer and something needs to be done about it,but I also believe that phil has a right to post his opinion and to say that ,for him at least,things are going ok.

I'm not wanting to be critical here,just putting in my two cents worth,as they say.

good luck anyway.

Guest bowbrum03
I think what Phil and Jo are saying is that there have been a run of negative posts again on PIO! This can get potential VISA holders down when they are so looking fwd to their dream!

Kaz: EVERYONE has a right to their opinion. Especially those who dont as they are the other side of the coin!

OMG, so what you are saying is people don’t want to hear the truth,

People really do need to get there head out of the sand.

There are a few construction workers on here who are continually saying things are bad.

It’s Ok been a nurse you don’t have that problem. But if you was in construction im sure you would be saying the same.

Hi Chippy,

I was watching a piece on local news here in Perth about locals wanting immigration to stop bringing people in, their reasons for continuing were based on their aging population and their need to have growth for the future, it doesn't matter if no jobs. I am a geologist in WA (or was) can't find a scrap of work here at moment. Went for a part time job a week ago in a local shop and the guy said he had 75 applications, a lot from guys with a bucket load of quals like me. We are going back even if it is to nothing, they also in the local paper here believe they are not going to go into recession and will come out of the world crisis the strongest nation finacially in the world. They have their heads stuck so far up their rear ends thay really can't smell their own doodoo's.

I strongly urge people to really think twice before coming here based on it having opportunities a plenty, a cheap lifestyle and a great place for kids. We did the rosey specs and they need to be broken, because for a number (not all) it is not what it says on the tin. We are a group of about 6 UK families and 3 are going back, that is 50% returning or wanting to.

Jo their are lots of posts like this

Guest JoanneHattersley
OMG, so what you are saying is people don’t want to hear the truth,

No thats not what I said. People are getting down reading all the doom and gloom. Some people despite that still want to and will come. Good on them I say for giving it a go anywa. Noone on here will tell people what to do.

People really do need to get there head out of the sand.

My head isnt in the sand mate!

There are a few construction workers on here who are continually saying things are bad.

Absolutely! I know many of them!

It’s Ok been a nurse you don’t have that problem. But if you was in construction im sure you would be saying the same.

Im sure I may very well say that if I was in construction. I accept that completely!

Guest proud2beaussie
Jo their are lots of posts like this

Which is exactly why there is nothing wrong with somebody pointing out that (For them,at least,and that is ALL they were doing) it is working for them.

Just because things are bad for the construction industry on the whole it doesn't mean there wont be circumstances where somebody is in the right place at the right time,and I think we should be happy for them,they aren't saying it's been "a bed of roses" just that it isn't all bad-for them.

Guest bowbrum03
Which is exactly why there is nothing wrong with somebody pointing out that (For them,at least,and that is ALL they were doing) it is working for them.

Just because things are bad for the construction industry on the whole it doesn't mean there wont be circumstances where somebody is in the right place at the right time,and I think we should be happy for them,they aren't saying it's been "a bed of roses" just that it isn't all bad-for them.

Did you actually read the post by celtic.h. He is not a construction worker but a geologist.

Guest proud2beaussie
Did you actually read the post by celtic.h. He is not a construction worker but a geologist.

Yes I did but my comments were more directed at your comment about the construction workers on pio who were saying how bad things were.

i think we need the doom and gloomers to keep all of us in touch with reality,there are some extreme opinions on here but to get a balanced view you need to know the good and the bad.

Because of all the negative posts about work ii am worried about work when i go and so i should be i have 3 children to look out for and stupid would it be for my family to go out there and have to come back skint because i wasnt aware of the downside at least i can be prepared fully for what we are about to face,after they are opinions but they opinions of poeple on the ground and they stop people going out with rose tinted glasses.

i hope everyone follows their dream

Guest kazmatt
i think we need the doom and gloomers to keep all of us in touch with reality,there are some extreme opinions on here but to get a balanced view you need to know the good and the bad.

Because of all the negative posts about work ii am worried about work when i go and so i should be i have 3 children to look out for and stupid would it be for my family to go out there and have to come back skint because i wasnt aware of the downside at least i can be prepared fully for what we are about to face,after they are opinions but they opinions of poeple on the ground and they stop people going out with rose tinted glasses.

i hope everyone follows their dream

this is exactly my thoughts, and i think it wrong that people get jumped on for posting doom and gloom, if nobody ever did, then no one would know anything about them, i would not want to stop anyone following there dreams, but if i can help just one person making the massive mistake i have, then jobs a good one.

Guest proud2beaussie

Very fair points matt,and I am sure that for the majority of people on pio they have no objection to hearing about the problems people have when they move to Australia,after all that's what pio is for,a warts and all forum about life for poms in oz,but I also disagree with jumping on people who post positives and who after all are just saying that they dont think it's ALL bad.

Guest bowbrum03
this is exactly my thoughts, and i think it wrong that people get jumped on for posting doom and gloom, if nobody ever did, then no one would know anything about them, i would not want to stop anyone following there dreams, but if i can help just one person making the massive mistake i have, then jobs a good one.

Hear, Hear, why people have to make snide comments is beyond me. There is too much cover up, god knows why

Guest bowbrum03
some of the posts do seem to be hell bent on giving us yet another sleepless night.

:eek:

Don’t know what your line of work is, or if you have a job when you arrive. But it is how it is. Thing are tough.

I think there are a lot of people all over the world having sleepless nights, form every walk of life. And people losing lots of money also

Guest bowbrum03
What cover up?????:huh:

Now it's getting weirdly paranoid!!!! LOL

Don’t you read the papers, The government saying everything is hunky dory.

bowbrum03

Yeah we know that.

We're all reading the posts about it being difficult. We're not ignoring them - the genuine ones anyway. I understand that people are upset and angry, but the agression and paranoia? - I don't understand, maybe if I was in that situation I would understand it.

I don't think anyone in the UK can ignore it. We all know it's a global crisis. But people seem to be on personal crusades to shove it down our throats. I want to read about All aspects of people's experiences and thankfully people come on here and post them for me to read.

Sue x

Guest Scamp1976

Well ofcourse things are bad. Australia has been living off debt and credit cards for the last 10 years. They have inflated houseprices 500% !!... what do you think would happen.

And yes they need immigrants to buy up their overinflated houses, otherwise everything collapses. Now if they stop immigration, you'll see a REAL collapse, of everything around you. People don't realize that immigrants CREATE more jobs than they 'steal'....

Archived