A tardis.....no a house

TaniaColin

As some of you are aware we are trying to sell our house, we have had quite a few viewings, the feedback from the last two people were..... its not very big....the kitchen is small.....its a lovely house....

Our house is a three bedroom link detached house, but when they were first built, 20 years ago, they were suppose to be starter homes, now they are used as family homes. The point i am making is WHY oh WHY do people even come to look at your property when they have all the literature and the room sizes, do they think they will walk in and suddenly the kitchen will increase in size, or the bedrooms will suddenly double.

It really naffs me off and wastes my time, glad i got that off my chest, thanks for listening.

Good luck to anyone else trying to sell

Tania X:no:

Guest juliemtaylor

yes I know where you are coming from. We will have the same when ours finally goes on the market soon...

Good luck

Julie x

The problem with sizes on estate agents bumf is that they mean nothing to people, and when they say things like its small they are really expressing concepts other than actual physical size.

'size' in this context is something of an illusion, and its one that can be manipulated, by taking a small room and decorating it the right way, removing the clutter and putting in smaller than normal furniture (like house builders do) you can make a small room look much larger than it is in reality.

On the other hand if you have a large room that is cluttered with some extra large furniture and features that break up the boundaries, then you can make it look much smaller than it is in actuality.

Try and understand what these people mean when the say its smaller than they thought, you may find that they have something like a huge fridge that would just not fit, try and turn these problems around with options and explain how you have solved these problems, or why they may be letting something 'trivial' distract from the overall package.

Well if they want bigger they will have to compromise.... on area, price or quality. Your house will be perfect for somebody who wants a house in your area and for that budget. Good luck - I know how hard it is. We have taken a year to sell ours and lost two sales in the process.

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Tania, I understand your frustration, stick with it though, I always find it difficult to imagine a room size just by measurements, I prefer to see the room so maybe some of your viewers prefer to do this too,

Dan xx :hug:

Trouble is and I agree with Tania on what she has said previously when you have a houseful of kids its very hard to hide everything and every Birthday/Christmas means more toys and more space needed to fill them. I have decided to hire a storage unit and declutter packing everything I want to send over in boxes and also loads of toys that my son does not play with regularly even though he knows he has it explaining these have to be boxed up so we can go to OZ I have 3 display units of nick nacks all emptied and removed and the units disassembled so they can be put in storage so my living room can look larger its all mind over matter with these buyers you can never please everyone. I have put new carpets down etc etc... At least Tania you are having viewers. Maybe your Estate Agents are just sending everyone so they can look busy

I agree with you Lyn, i think the E/A are sending the people around cause we have reduced it again, so they are looking busy. I know what people are saying, about room sizes but our kitchen is small, and its like people expect to find a 20ft kitchen. I can't really say our house is cluttered, the lounge/dining room only has a bit of furniture in, and no toys in, its only the childrens rooms but again they look tidy, so i suppose we will just have to grin and bear it. I suppose we are lucky to have viewings, its just when nothing comes of them and you feel so deflated

Tania X

Guest NurseFlo

really hope you get that house sold soon Tania. I agree with Lyn in that I suspect some estate agents will almost pay people to go look at houses even though the prospective buyers aren't particularly interested. No idea what their view to sale ratio is using those methods! But I know as well Tania its stressful having to keep the house "show-worthy" not to mention waiting in for people. I can remember feeling as though I'd been rejected as a person after a nil-result viewing. Perhaps thats just me being a muppet. Goes without saying but keep getting those prospective buyers in, get lots of feedback after each viewing, and I'm sure you'll get a reasonable offer soon. Fingers crossed x

Although I am originally from London I have lived in the republic of Ireland for the last 11 years.

Now to the point ,which is that when you have a house for sale in Ireland the agent brings the prospective buyer round and you are not present at the viewing.

I think this is much better as you are not there and not around to hear any negative comments and it is up to the agent to tryhis best to sell your property.

On a more personal note I wish you all the best in selling your property as it is the last thing standing between you and your dream of living your new life in Australia.

I have been viewing this site myself for many months now and I can see from your posts that you are a very positive family and always try to give encouragement and support to others so I would like to take this oppurtunity to wish you all the best.

As I am typing this I cannot remember where you hope to be moving to, if it happens to be Perth then hopefully we could meet up someday when we are all over there.

Best of luck

Gibbo

As some of you are aware we are trying to sell our house, we have had quite a few viewings, the feedback from the last two people were..... its not very big....the kitchen is small.....its a lovely house....

Our house is a three bedroom link detached house, but when they were first built, 20 years ago, they were suppose to be starter homes, now they are used as family homes. The point i am making is WHY oh WHY do people even come to look at your property when they have all the literature and the room sizes, do they think they will walk in and suddenly the kitchen will increase in size, or the bedrooms will suddenly double.

It really naffs me off and wastes my time, glad i got that off my chest, thanks for listening.

Guest slipshot

Just out of interestm, does your house particulars have a floor plan with dimensions.

For me, these are the best things. You can compare rooms sizes to your own, and you get an idea of the place before arrival so that if it is badly decorated or has loads of junk, you can at least see through it by understanding what the kitchen, lounge etc compares to your current size house & rooms.

I also asked the EA for our poperty to put down on the paritculars the square footage, something they rarely do, but for me as our house was large enough to really show off a large number, I wanted it in there.

Had a few viewings and we're not going to reduce the price when we can rent, as we have done. It was a shame as there is equity in the house, so we came to Melbourne with no jobs, paid everything our way so far and still have no jobs.

But then again, we're all in different industries and something will come along soon, and I'm in discussions, so the house in the UK will have to wait a few years before going back on the market.

It's a major pain, and I wish you luck, but do what you can and fingers crossed...

it is not the viewers you should have a go at it is the estate agent he is the one who talk them ih to viewing. Now he can notch up a vieing on his or her taget for the month.

Archived