urgent- car insurance advise

Guest guest17301

Guest guest17301

I hope someone can help-

Just spent best part of 2 hours at the library getting car insurance quotes for our 2 second hand cars we bought this week in Australia (W.A)

I'm finding they won't insure us because we are still driving on our UK licenses and are temporary visa holders..

Can anyone shed any light? I'm terrified we are breaking the law by driving and worried if we have an accident we will be liable. Both cars have rego-does this mean we don't have to get any further insurance???

Thanks..

Urgent replies please as I am at the library..

From your mention of being at the library, I assume you're trying to buy insurance online.

I often find that online application forms are pretty inflexible and don't have the right boxes for those of us recently arrived. A phone call to the help line for whatever insurance you're buying will probably sort this out...and if it doesn't another company will certainly be willing to insure you.

FYI, I was still on my UK license when we first got our insurance and it wasn't a problem (though, since then, I've swapped to a Qld license anyway). Probably not much help since it's mainly a Queensland company, but I'm with Suncorp who have been good to deal with in all sorts of ways.

Bob

Guest lovediving
I hope someone can help-

Just spent best part of 2 hours at the library getting car insurance quotes for our 2 second hand cars we bought this week in Australia (W.A)

I'm finding they won't insure us because we are still driving on our UK licenses and are temporary visa holders..

Can anyone shed any light? I'm terrified we are breaking the law by driving and worried if we have an accident we will be liable. Both cars have rego-does this mean we don't have to get any further insurance???

Thanks..

Urgent replies please as I am at the library..

Fiona,

Firstly for the first three months it is legal to drive on your UK licence.

All you have to do is go to the RTA with your licence and pay a fee and they will issue you with an Australian licence. They will invalidate your UK licence by punching a hole in it but it takes no time at all, you don't have to take any tests apart from eye tests.

Insurance, you can drive with just the green slip without other insurance but go to one of the main ones like AAMI, Alianze, etc. I am with AAMI and they were the most competitive.

regards

Archived