Driving Licence

Paulthebuilder

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if we need to re-take our driving licence in Oz, or can we just transfer over our English one into an Aussie one.

I'm dreading having to do the test again if we have to , and how long can we drive on an English one before we have to do the test?

Thanks

:err:

Think it depends on which state and how long you have had it .We transferred ours to Wa took 10 mins and a few bucks, not sure if its 3 months or longer to drive on a uk . Isle of man ones are brill . I have heard that if you are stopped you get a fine but no points because its such a long winded pain in the arse for the police to process them.

Mally

If you move to Queensland you do not have to re-take a test, you just bring in your UK driving licence and pay for a new licence, you must get your new Aussie licence within 3 months of arriving, you can choose to have your new licence from 1-5 years and just renew it when it runs out...so don't panic...

Its a different system here in oz, a clean license has a full set of points and if you default speed etc you lose demerit points , and bank holiday weekends etc they have bogofs double demerit points

you dont transfer your uk points , be good as you would have more on your license

Its a different system here in oz, a clean license has a full set of points and if you default speed etc you lose demerit points , and bank holiday weekends etc they have bogofs double demerit points

you dont transfer your uk points , be good as you would have more on your license

BOGOFs??!!:arghh:

So just for the hard of thinking(me), if I have a clean UK license then I get the maximum points available in Oz. And if I have 3 penalty points on the UK license, then I get less than the full quota of points in Oz. Would this be correct?

Do the two driving authorities actually have any communication?

In laymans terms. Uk points don't get transfered to Oz licence and an ozzie licence has the demerit points already on it so for example you get done for speeding you are deducted points off you start with 12 demerit points on your licence and get a speeding fine they deduct 3 from the 12 and so on until your left with none.

Guest lovediving

You just transfer it in the RTA and pay. They then punch a gaping big hole in your UK licence so it becomes invalid, thanks OZ.

Guest proud2beaussie
In laymans terms. Uk points don't get transfered to Oz licence and an ozzie licence has the demerit points already on it so for example you get done for speeding you are deducted points off you start with 12 demerit points on your licence and get a speeding fine they deduct 3 from the 12 and so on until your left with none.

Actually it's the other way round,when you are issued with a driving licence in Australia the licence is "Clean" with no demerit points,if you are stopped by a police officer for a driving offense you will accrue a certain number of demerit points,in Victoria you can have a maximum of 12 demerit points over three years ,if you go over 12 points the license would be suspended for a certain period.

Demerit points : VicRoads

• 3 months later...
Guest bhaisab
Isle of man ones are brill . I have heard that if you are stopped you get a fine but no points because its such a long winded pain in the arse for the police to process them.

Mally

does this apply to driving in the UK?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boomerangpommie
You just transfer it in the RTA and pay. They then punch a gaping big hole in your UK licence so it becomes invalid, thanks OZ.

I got a NSW driving licence and the RTA didn't punch a hole in my UK one, I'm using it now, back in the UK!!

Guest iselinger

They didn't do anything to my UK licence in NSW.

I use UK licence in UK and NSW licence in OZ.

Two lots of points!!! icon7.gif

Guest 5x4_inches
Hi All

Can anyone tell me if we need to re-take our driving licence in Oz, or can we just transfer over our English one into an Aussie one.

I'm dreading having to do the test again if we have to , and how long can we drive on an English one before we have to do the test?

Thanks

:err:

If you will be on a temporary visa you don't have to get an Aussie license, but I got one anyway as its very useful, even if it has the worst photograph of me ever on it.

If you have a permanent residence visa you will need to get an Oz license within 3 months. You do not normally have to retake any tests (apart from the rudimentary eye test) if you have a UK license.

• 1 month later...
Guest Granada

Would anyone happen to know if we would need to get the "new" photo license from the UK before we go or would the "old" paper one be OK? We have never had the need to change them so have ancient ones and don't want to pay for new ones if we don't need to!

Many Thanks

Guest iselinger

I got an NSW licence using my old paper (very tatty) UK licence. I am not changing for a new 10 year plastic one as a matter of principle!

Guest Granada

Thanks very much ... just the info I needed :biggrin:

I got an NSW licence using my old paper (very tatty) UK licence. I am not changing for a new 10 year plastic one as a matter of principle!

Guest guest17520

You were had, RTA didn't punch a hole in my license either. Pretty sure they're not allowed to do that.

Guest inaroundroom

If you have a photo license do you need to also provide the paper part when getting an AU license?

Cheers

Archived