Rules, And Legal Stuff In Brisbane. Desperately want to know!!!!

Guest Emmy

Helloo whoevers reading this :D

youve probably seen my latest thread, its not far down the list as its on this forum.

Im 12 years old, nearly 13 ;) and im moving to brisbane in the middle of march.

were hoping to go to redland bay as we are renting a nice house there.

my question is..

does anybody know what the rules are here in aus?

whats swearing there?

whats the age limit to drive?

whats the age limit to have a first job on like a saturday or however long?

there just questions i deperately trying to find out but the internet comes up with different answers every time, so i PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE need answers (:

thankyou to whoever can give me a reply and some help ..

thanks,.

emmy x

Hi Emmy

In Brisbane you can apply for a tax file number and work part time from 14 yrs old. You can start learning to drive at 16 , it seems weird seeing some of the kids 'drive' to high school/college,lol.

The language is different here ,lots of people say bloody which isnt classed as a swear word here really and lots of words have different meanings to what we know.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Guest DadAgain

does anybody know what the rules are here in aus?

whats swearing there?

whats the age limit to drive?

whats the age limit to have a first job on like a saturday or however long?...

Laws are pretty similar to UK but there are odd little differences here and there. You can get into trouble for 'jaywalking' for example (crossing the road other than at a designated pedestrian crossing!) You'll pick it up quick enough dont worry!

Swearing is (I think) fairly globally understood but no doubt there are some bits of specific slang that are unique to Australians, again you'll probably be surprised how quickly you get into the swing of things

To drive you must be 16, then you can take a short written test to get a 'learners permit'. This allows you to drive if accompanied by an experienced driver and you'll need to keep a log book of when you drive and for how long. Once you have 100 hours of driving logged (inlcuding 10 hours at night) and have had your learners permit for at least a year you are able to take a practical driving test.

If you pass that you get a provisional licence which entitles you to drive, but with zero tollerance for speeding, alcohol etc etc. You need to have a red 'P' plate for a year and then a green 'P' plate for 2 years before you are then on a full unrestricted licence.

14 is the age you can start working. I work for a fast food company and we have a number of staff on our books who have *just* turned 14. You cant expect to be paid much though - those 14yr olds get $6.50 an hour. There are restrictions as to how many hours they can work and at what times but I'm not sure exactly what those restrictions are.

I'm sure you'll love the move and will make lots of friends quickly. Most UK immigrants find school in Australia is more fun than UK and really enjoy themselves. :smile:

Archived