First landing after visa grant

Guest mrizwan

Guest mrizwan

Hi,

My visa (subclass 176) is granted and would like to do my first landing. Appreciate if some one can advise what are the necessary stuff that I should be taking care off while I am there i.e. opening a tax file or registering with some government department etc.

New to all this business therefore really looking forward to feedback.

best regards

Taxe file number, and medicare. We went to the medicare office within the first week and we weren't on the computer (must be linked to immigration), the lady said it takes about 10 working days. You take your passports with you. Driving licence. If it's a validation trip then I wouldn't sort out private health care (if you're having that), till you arrive for good, otherwise you'll be paying for something you can't use.

Ali

Guest mrizwan

Hi Ali,

Thanks, as I understand form you one should be there atleast 15 days for him to get registered with medicare. I intend for a short trip and I guess then Medicare will not be possible. I hope opening a tax file is quick and can be achieved within 4 days.

best regards

We applied for our TFN online, but we were living here and not validating so had an address - someone may be able to answer if it's possible for you to apply for TFN if you don't have a residential address.

Ali

Hi

I have just read your message and hope this helps a little.....

You can apply for a TFN (tax file no.) online and it only takes a little while to come through. You dont actually have to have a TFN to start work etc. yu will just be taxed at a higher rate until you give your employer your TFN then you will get refund of the estra you have paid.

Medicare, again this is very easy to apply for. When I came out here 2 years ago I actually landed in Sydney and spent a couple of weeks travelling across to Perth, byt the time I applied for my medicare card I had probably been in the country 3 maybe 4 weeks. Basically you go into a medicare office with your passport and because they are linked to immigration it is better to leave for a while after entering the country before applying for it.

Private medical insurance. As has been said before this depends if you intend to have it. But,if you are over 30 when you enter the country you could be hit by additional tax if you do not take out private medical within 12 months of arriving (or it may be 12 months of getting your medicare no.)

Driving licence - you can drive on your UK licence legally but you have to get a WA one within 3 months. All you need to do is go to the local licencing office and basically give them some money and they will give you a receipt and eventually your nice shiney licence will come through the post!! :-)

In short none of these things really need to be done until you arrive here permanently.

Hope this helps, good luck with the move.

Jon

We applied for our TFN online, but we were living here and not validating so had an address - someone may be able to answer if it's possible for you to apply for TFN if you don't have a residential address.

Ali

No dont think you can youngun , and should not need to till you are residing here, might be tax complications

Mally

Guest tony&dee
Hi

I have just read your message and hope this helps a little.....

You can apply for a TFN (tax file no.) online and it only takes a little while to come through. You dont actually have to have a TFN to start work etc. yu will just be taxed at a higher rate until you give your employer your TFN then you will get refund of the estra you have paid.

Medicare, again this is very easy to apply for. When I came out here 2 years ago I actually landed in Sydney and spent a couple of weeks travelling across to Perth, byt the time I applied for my medicare card I had probably been in the country 3 maybe 4 weeks. Basically you go into a medicare office with your passport and because they are linked to immigration it is better to leave for a while after entering the country before applying for it.

Private medical insurance. As has been said before this depends if you intend to have it. But,if you are over 30 when you enter the country you could be hit by additional tax if you do not take out private medical within 12 months of arriving (or it may be 12 months of getting your medicare no.)

Driving licence - you can drive on your UK licence legally but you have to get a WA one within 3 months. All you need to do is go to the local licencing office and basically give them some money and they will give you a receipt and eventually your nice shiney licence will come through the post!! :-)

In short none of these things really need to be done until you arrive here permanently.

Hope this helps, good luck with the move.

Jon

Hi was just wondering, we did a reccie trip in November after receiveing our visas in October, only me and o/h went , we left the kids with grandparents, do you know if this trip will validate our visas, so we have longer than the twelve months they give you to emigrate.

If you already had your visas in your passports the trip in November would certainly have validated them which will give you the 5 years. But, since the kids didn't come over they will only have the remainder of the original 12 months. A point to note though, the 12 months does not run from when you receive the visa in your passport it probably starts from the time you were told to get your medical - well mine did anyway.

Jon.

Guest tony&dee
If you already had your visas in your passports the trip in November would certainly have validated them which will give you the 5 years. But, since the kids didn't come over they will only have the remainder of the original 12 months. A point to note though, the 12 months does not run from when you receive the visa in your passport it probably starts from the time you were told to get your medical - well mine did anyway.

Jon.

Thanks, will look into that.

Guest janeandandy

Jon.

Hi Jon

Just to clarify, will our visas be validated upon landing in Brisbane or do you have to phsically go to adelaide office to get them stamped? we have our 175 visas granted but only via an e-mail so is that all we get? We plan to come over for a reccie in July for 4 weeks then we will fly home from perth. All 4 of us will come over so then will we have 5 years to come over?

Thanks Jane

The email you get if your visa grant letter. You then have to send off your passports to get the visa put in. They're usually back within 5 working days. Have you sent off your passports to Australia House yet? When you land in Brisbane that validates your visa .... but your visa on the 175 has to be in your passport

Guest janeandandy
The email you get if your visa grant letter. You then have to send off your passports to get the visa put in. They're usually back within 5 working days. Have you sent off your passports to Australia House yet? When you land in Brisbane that validates your visa .... but your visa on the 175 has to be in your passport

well i feel realy stupid i must have completely missed that bit. I will send the passports off asap. thanks for that, Jane

Lol - it must have been the excitment and the bubbly Jane. Were you able to find that bit on the email? The post office do these silver plastic bags which we used, I put in a covering letter, saying as per visa grant letter please find enclosed the passports for name, dob and passport number. Buy a second silver bag and put your return address on that and enclose it with your passports. Mine were back within 5 days.

Ali x

Hi Jane

Sorry for not replying sooner I dont usually check my mail till the evening. I blame daylight saving myself!! (Sorry bad joke, if you were in WA you would understand!!)

Basically Ali hit the nail on the head. When you receive your passports back (Im sure mine only took a few working days) you will have a nice piece of paper stuck inside which in short give you the right to live & work in Australia :-)

On your visa it will give the exact date that you have to enter the country by - this is to validate your visa, and also the last when you will have to make the move by.

What I would say though is when you get you passport back read what it says on the visa as there may be additional conditions on there that you were not aware of. Mine said that I couldn't marry before entering the country!! Quite an easy one for me!!

Jon.

Guest janeandandy
Hi Jane

Sorry for not replying sooner I dont usually check my mail till the evening. I blame daylight saving myself!! (Sorry bad joke, if you were in WA you would understand!!)

Basically Ali hit the nail on the head. When you receive your passports back (Im sure mine only took a few working days) you will have a nice piece of paper stuck inside which in short give you the right to live & work in Australia :-)

On your visa it will give the exact date that you have to enter the country by - this is to validate your visa, and also the last when you will have to make the move by.

What I would say though is when you get you passport back read what it says on the visa as there may be additional conditions on there that you were not aware of. Mine said that I couldn't marry before entering the country!! Quite an easy one for me!!

Jon.

Thanks Jon, much appreciated

Jane

Archived