whats the cost of furniture in oz

lynnes

Hi everyone, I know this has been asked before but I cant seem to find the thread.

Our present sofa's (leather) are now on their last legs and we were not planning to take them with us to Brisbane and just buy new once we get there, but, I'm now wondering if it would be cheaper to buy a new 3 piece suite here in the sales and ship it out. We have to get a 20 foot container anyway. Any advice on price of new furniture in Australia would be greatly appreciated. :unsure:

many thanks

Lynne

Guest brooksey

we sold everything in uk and bought new in oz. Household goods, especialy electrics are a lot cheaper in oz. But if your paying for a container anyway then you may as well bring everything and sell it over here if you don't want it as the second hand market seems stonger over here than in uk

Don`t forget that over here you can haggle - never accept the ticket price on furniture and electrical goods, always ask how much for cash, or how much discount if buying multiple stuff at the same shop, or if I buy this will throw in .......

The big sales over here are June and December (I think the June sales are bigger though as it`s the end of the financial year).

Guest 0405delboy

Hello,

I'm a big girls blouse when it comes to furniture but I'll go out on a limb and say that the furniture here is quite ordinary. If you find something well priced and nice to sit on in UK then I would recommend you bring it with you. My couch has seen better days and Ive wanted to replace it for ages but havent found anything and refuse to spend $4000 for somewhere soft to put my arse!! (Ikea couches arent comfy in my opinion!!) I think styles and quality are better on other side of the world.

regards 0405delboy

Hello,

I'm a big girls blouse when it comes to furniture but I'll go out on a limb and say that the furniture here is quite ordinary. If you find something well priced and nice to sit on in UK then I would recommend you bring it with you. My couch has seen better days and Ive wanted to replace it for ages but havent found anything and refuse to spend $4000 for somewhere soft to put my arse!! (Ikea couches arent comfy in my opinion!!) I think styles and quality are better on other side of the world.

regards 0405delboy

I think even considering Ikea couches may disqualify you from this thread :)

Thanks guys, I can shop till I drop and I dont mind if its in the uk or oz but still want value for money, am I being a bit thick or is $4000 a lot for a sofa?. And I have to agree, I dont go a bundle on Ikea furniture, ok for accessories and wardrobes but not to put your bum on. I can feel a shopping trip coming on, dont think hubby is going to be so pleased though lol.

delboy, your avatar is very funny and just how i feel on a computer but its also making me feel a bit ill, any chance you can change it, pleeeeeeeeeeeese :-).

Thanks guys, I can shop till I drop and I dont mind if its in the uk or oz but still want value for money, am I being a bit thick or is $4000 a lot for a sofa?. And I have to agree, I dont go a bundle on Ikea furniture, ok for accessories and wardrobes but not to put your bum on. I can feel a shopping trip coming on, dont think hubby is going to be so pleased though lol.

delboy, your avatar is very funny and just how i feel on a computer but its also making me feel a bit ill, any chance you can change it, pleeeeeeeeeeeese :-).

If its in the uk do alittle artificial weatherin as if they suss its under 12 months old you pay duty on it , mostly dont happen but , esp with lekky goods I think the codes have the manu date on

Mally

I agree with you, the furniture out here is purely functional, I sold some nice stuff back in the UK for far less than it was worth, as I was coming to sydney, but unless you go for something realy high end, you'll be dissappointed with the styling & quality of most of the furniture out here

Guest YellowGecko

Sell your UK stuff, and buy in Australia.

Now having lived in both UK and Oz, I an safely say it is cheaper to buy furniture in Australia, in almost ALL circumstances.

Places like Super A-mart are very cheap in QLD.

I have not seen any UK furniture which works out cheaper...even in the supposed "HALF price" sales!!!

Guest cheshire lass

i agree, i saw some lovely lounge suites when visiting UK,not seen the likes of them here for any price. Really depends on your tastes. The leather ones are quite plain here and will set you back at least 3,000au. i think i read somewhere you pay for the whole container full so might as well fill it up and i am sure you can offload some when you no longer want it

Oh flip, now i'm really confused, might have a good look around the sales here and see if anything takes my fancy, if not then I'll wait till we get there. Already have leather sofa's and really dont like them, apart from being really cold when you first sit on them I can imagine that in Oz it may get very 'sweaty'. and our cat (god rest her sharp little claws) shredded them so new ones are definately in order. Thanks evryone for your comments and information. :smile:

Archived