What to bring!!!!

mornachew

With the financial crisis going on, there are some incredible prices about. Also maybe consider auction companies, as they auction off brand new reposessed or scratched/dinted items including cars.

I don't know about other States, but in Victoria one of them is Fowles auction group. My friend got her kitchen appliances from there, and they were great, one scratch on one, the oven, which you couldn't see anyway once installed. They also have TVs, etc.

I have seen in JB HI FI this week, Panasonic and Samsung 42" plasmas for around $1200.

Don't bring a BBQ, as one poster mentioned, BBQ's are a way of life here and they are plentiful and well priced.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

How do you know things are cheaper in Oz by the way?

Because I have been there.

You should go sometime.

Bathroom scales are very expensive - about 100 quid when we got ours at a chemist in the uk for 10 pounds.

* I just recently bought some for $15 dollars. The one's you got for $230 (100 quid) must have a liposuction attachment ?

A word of warning - sofas, beds and mattresses are very expensive and although good quality the design of them is awful. In many cases it is like going back to the 70s and 80s. Black ash seems to be all over the place and it isnt cheap either. we have ended up gettign our bed and sofa from ikea as it is the only place we can find stuff we like. Some shops online are snooze, freedom, forty winks.

* I think you may be looking in the wrong shops. The 70/80's looking stuff is for a certain market segment....it is hard when you first move someone to find the equivalent shops/goods that you knew where to find back home...

I was shocked to see many people have top loaders - i've never even seen one but I think they are better than front loaders. if you have a big one you can get more in, chuck stuff in if you forget to put something in and they do seem to get clothes drier on the spin cycle

* Why shocked? Top loaders were pretty much all Australia had back in the day. It's only in recent decades that front loaders have gained in popularity due to energy considerations. Remember we never had to consider squeezing small front loaders into kitchens...we could whack a dirty big top loader into the laundry or under the house. Front loaders use way less water and don't damage your clothes like top loaders do. They now sell a front loader that loads from the top...best of both worlds in my opinion :)

Am i right in thinking that oz dvd players are still multi region and will play uk region 2 dvd's.

Many thanks

Yes. We've now bought 3 "cheapie" DVD players down here (2 for us and one as a gift) and, despite being well under $40 each, all have been multi-region.

As for furniture, we've found everything from the super-cheap (and probably short lasting) up to high quality stuff. We treated outselves to a King size (6' x 6'6") bed with a name brand mattress and spent about $1200 after some negotiation. We could have had a normal double or queen for much less...or spent a lot more.

Similarly we recently retired our second hand "quick buy" corner sofa to a play room and bought a new "decent" leather 2 seat/3 seat suite for about $1600. Again, we could have easily spent double or treble that...or got something cheap and nasty for a few hundred dollars. In every case, we've negotiated on price and managed to get a discount...they seem to expect it.

By the way, some great advice earlier was to bring a British extension lead/six way block with you. If you're like us, you'll have various things where the British plug is moulded onto the transformer (computers, phone chargers, etc etc.) and the British sockets are a godsend.

Finally, I feel all self righteous because I bought a front loading washing machine rather than a top loader...and it uses less than half the water than the similarly priced top loader!

Bob

Guest Bulldozersanddirt

Hey there, If you are bringing a container and will have room, here are a few things that I wish I had known I should bring: (mainly to do with house building and renovation)

- Enough Wilko's white matt emulsion to do the whole house twice.

Paint here is not only EXTORTIONATELY priced but there is some weird kind of mythology that says you have to buy undercoat for the walls; ceiling paint for the ceiling; wall paint for the walls; primer paint for the plasterboard; bathroom paint for the bathroom; kitchen paint for the kitchen. The quality of wood and metal paint is woeful, and it is very difficult to buy oil-based here (as it is becoming everywhere, I know...). I sprayed the first 2 coats of my entire house interior with paint mixed up from the Tip Shop. Well... 6 litres of Dulux emulsion at $150? It is all 'chalky' and comes off on your clothes. It won't stay on metal plasterboard edged corners for more than a few days because it rubs off- just check out other houses...

- Quality power tools.

If you will need a Makita sliding circular saw, take it with you.

- A container load of real draught ale (only joking...)

- If you can fit a TV in, and it is Multi sound standard (most newish Japanese ones are) take it because at least you will have it from day one, assuming that you have timed your container to arrive at the same time ;)

- Nails and screws.

This may seem a bit anal but they are hugely expensive here (WA) and I wish that I had brought more. The downside is that Autralia uses Phillips head screws and hasn't heard of the rest of the world using Pozi, so there is a lot of swapping of driver bits (or just chew them all up anyway, as the Tradies do here...)

- Tupperware

Keeps the ants out. Not cheap here (The tupperware, not the ants...)

- An unlocked mobile phone(s) as you will need it immediately.

The phones here are not expensive, but most are locked and if you have one in the UK, or can blag an old one (dual band) bring it.

- Weber barbies are a lot cheaper in the UK.

There is a price fixing system for this particular make and the prices are the same everywhere in Oz. ie $835 for the Weber Q300 with electronic ignition.

Must be more but it's late... Jules

Guest Bulldozersanddirt

Good advice Bobbsy, I brought a bag of 2-way and long strip plug boards from Wilko's. I cut the Oz mains leads from washing machines at the local tip and fitted the plug boards to them. Don't know what I would do without them in the shed and the house. Can't bear to cut the Pommie fused plugs off my power tools etc.

Jules

Can't bear to cut the Pommie fused plugs off my power tools etc.

Jules

LOL...I know what you mean. It was a bit of a "right of passage" the night I sat down with a couple of beers and some wire cutters and changed the plugs on everything I COULD change the plug on!

Oh, a thought. Around here at least they have a charity/recycling shop called "Lifeline". I assume there's an equivalent in most cities.

Anyway, our local one has a bin of mains leads (the kind with an Aussie plug at one and and an IEC connector at the other...what some people call "kettle leads) for $1 each. I bought a bagful to handle our computers, some of my sound equipment, that sort of thing. The leads were cheaper than buying just and Aussie plug and then doing the work...and preserved a pile of UK-IEC leads if I ever need them.

Bob

Archived