What to bring!!!!

mornachew

Hi all,

This is my very first post on here so HELLO and be truthful :)

Im looking at going over to Oz next year.

Now that alot of you are over there what do you wish you would of brought with you!! (excluding family!!) :)

Do you think its worth buying a good BBQ over here then shipping it??

TV's - - I beleive they have different receivers so leave them here!!

Suncream?? Is it cheap over there?

You get the idea!!:idea:

This information will be of great help to me and others that can learn from your -- I SHOULD OF TAKEN THAT!!

cheers :hug:

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Hi all,

Now that alot of you are over there what do you wish you would of brought with you!! (excluding family!!) :)

This information will be of great help to me and others that can learn from your -- I SHOULD OF TAKEN THAT!!

Welcome to PIO.

Maybe a hello in the welcome area would get you more of a response.

Don't bother taking sun cream from the uk to oz, as you will want to buy the factor 30 once you get there.

What people actually take seems to vary quite a lot.

Some people take eveything they can so as to help lessen home sickness, wwhen you have familiar things around you it is easier.

Others tend to take nothing and start from scratch.

As for your TV, it really does depend on how old it is, have a read of the manufacturors manual and it should tell you, if its a newer tv, where it will and wont work.

Where are you going?

Guest earlswood

If you are going to Perth take your jumpers scarves and wooley hats...because for about 5 months it can be really wet and very very cold especially with the poor insulation in houses....I am not joking...:GEEK:

Guest earlswood
I would like to end up in Adelaide!!

But who knows just doing the research still.

TV is newish - 3 years.

was just thinking the UK might have ceaper items over here- so would buy them then take them over!!

Almost all electrical items are cheaper in the UK....If you have a container take all your stuff and more that you would buy anyway.

Hi all,

Quite seriously, I wish I'd brought less than I did. Bring personal or hard to replace things (photos, books, records, CDs and so on plus anything "good" but use the move as a chance to de-clutter your life. (Spoken as the man who shipped far too much and hasn't even unpacked it all.)

No way! This is the land of the BBQ. I spent about the same as I did for my "Homebase Special" in the UK and got one twice as big and twice as good...and I use it all the time.

The TV system is different down here. You MAY be lucky and have a "multistandard" international set but, unless you know for sure, it's probably not worth the shipping. Frankly, I don't think the prices are all that different for consumer electronics down here. Certainly their close enough that "which country is cheaper" depends on the exchange rate I'm getting on the day.

Cheap, plentiful and probably a higher SPF which is what you need.

Back to my first point, there's little or nothing you can't get here and prices aren't all that different (and, on some things cheaper). I'd worry more about personal stuff and not worry too much about home appliances. Now, if you're into home recording studios like me....buy THAT stuff back in the UK. That's one area where prices have shocked!

Bob

Guest JoanneHattersley
Almost all electrical items are cheaper in the UK....If you have a container take all your stuff and more that you would buy anyway.

Earlswood, I disagree! Depends where you shop for starters and if you are looking at like for like!

I found my plasma TV to be cheaper here. It was about 3000$ here and like for like would have been about 3000quid! BIG difference!

Its a good idea to make a list of the basics and get on line and research, research is the name of your game for a while!!

Shops here for goods are......k mart, harvey norman, the good guys, i know there are more but I cant think of them right now

I keep reading that in this forum but my experience doesn't bear that out, with the possible exception of some European "designer" stuff.

Of the things I've bought so far, my TV (a splurge of a big plasma) and DVD player were about the same as similar models in the UK (but designed to work here with the right tuners and integrated digital/HD system). My washing machine, dishwasher and fridge worked out cheaper than similar models in the UK. My microwave and vacuum cleaner were probably a bit more expensive than the UK (or, at least I couldn't find the super cheap, non-branded models I used to have) but with not enough in it to make the cost of shipping worthwhile.

As I said above, even where there are differences, usually they're small enough that the variations in exchange rate makes them fairly negligable.

My two cents/tuppence worth...and everyone has a different experience. Maybe I haggle more!

Bob

Guest JoanneHattersley
Maybe I haggle more!

Bob

LOL! Us too! We got mega discounts as we bought big and bulk in one or two stores!~

Earlswood, I disagree! Depends where you shop for starters and if you are looking at like for like!

I found my plasma TV to be cheaper here. It was about 3000$ here and like for like would have been about 3000quid! BIG difference!

Its a good idea to make a list of the basics and get on line and research, research is the name of your game for a while!!

Shops here for goods are......k mart, harvey norman, the good guys, i know there are more but I cant think of them right now

To the list of shops to investigate for prices, I'd add Retravision, JB HiFi and WOW Sight and Sound, at least for TVs and computers.

My "plasma" experience was similar to Johatts....but other than that, the differences (in either direction) have been slight.

On a totally different tack, let me confirm what somebody else said about warm clothing. When the cold westerlies were blowing in August, I was happy to have my fleece jacket and a jumper or two. You won't need "winter" gear...but if you think "what do I wear in autumn" you won't be far off (and since it's only a few weeks of the year, it would have pained me to buy new!).

One other thing...my wife and I are both keen amateur cooks and are very happy we brought our knives, pots, pans, bowls etc. It's not that they're expensive here...it's just nice to have the stuff you like.

Bob

Having just come back from Oz and looking in shops in 3 different states I would say that you must have made a typo.

The best way to check though is to reseach prices online.

Try Dick Smith or similar. (Myers maybe!)

Maybe someone already out there could recommend other,better, shops.

I do know that Johatts parents have been buying loads of new goodies and I have not heard them complain about the prices.

Guest angiebabe

We brought everything and don't regret it...if you are going solo on a container anyway its worth it. Most things here are similar in price to the UK and there are plenty of sales for buying the non urgent items

Guest earlswood

£3000 what make and model....post it and I bet I can get it cheaper on the internet over here...:radar:

Guest earlswood
Having just come back from Oz and looking in shops in 3 different states I would say that you must have made a typo.

The best way to check though is to reseach prices online.

Try Dick Smith or similar. (Myers maybe!)

Maybe someone already out there could recommend other,better, shops.

I do know that Johatts parents have been buying loads of new goodies and I have not heard them complain about the prices.

It would be a good idea for folk to post a price from a reatal shop over there and people can search online here to see which is the cheaper.

Guest Perth Princess
To the list of shops to investigate for prices, I'd add Retravision, JB HiFi and WOW Sight and Sound, at least for TVs and computers.

My "plasma" experience was similar to Johatts....but other than that, the differences (in either direction) have been slight.

On a totally different tack, let me confirm what somebody else said about warm clothing. When the cold westerlies were blowing in August, I was happy to have my fleece jacket and a jumper or two. You won't need "winter" gear...but if you think "what do I wear in autumn" you won't be far off (and since it's only a few weeks of the year, it would have pained me to buy new!).

One other thing...my wife and I are both keen amateur cooks and are very happy we brought our knives, pots, pans, bowls etc. It's not that they're expensive here...it's just nice to have the stuff you like.

Bob

I totally agree with you Bob about the cooking things. We made the decision to come with suitcases only as it worked out cheaper to buy new stuff. The cooking things are the ones I have missed the most, even though I have got replacements, they are just not the same.

£3000 what make and model....post it and I bet I can get it cheaper on the internet over here...:radar:

Another typo mate?, johatts wrote $ not £ Early.

Guest earlswood
Another typo mate?, johatts wrote $ not £ Early.

another reply by you without the facts mate.........she said it would be £3000 in the UK

another reply by you without the facts mate.........she said it would be £3000 in the UK

No mate,

she wrote

The facts.

Currency converter shows this to be 3,000.00 AUD = 1,311.18 GBP.

a Television of a comparable cost in the uk i.e £3000 would mean it would have cost 6k aud in Brissy. i.e 3,000.00 GBP = 6,864.02 AUD.

The point that johatts was making was that her £3,000.00 TV didn't cost her $6,864.02 AUD.

It doesn't matter what you could buy a TV for in the UK. I recall Johatts has a special plasma that, if I recall correctly, can be used outside to watch her blue ray discs.

Guest earlswood
No mate,

she wrote

The facts.

Currency converter shows this to be 3,000.00 AUD = 1,311.18 GBP.

a Television of a comparable cost in the uk i.e £3000 would mean it would have cost 6k aud in Brissy. i.e 3,000.00 GBP = 6,864.02 AUD.

The point that johatts was making was that her £3,000.00 TV didn't cost her $6,864.02 AUD.

It doesn't matter what you could buy a TV for in the UK. I recall Johatts has a special plasma that, if I recall correctly, can be used outside to watch her blue ray discs.

:twitcy: keep digging ...we all know she meant it would have cost about £3000 in the UK.

:twitcy: keep digging ...we all know she meant it would have cost about £3000 in the UK.

You miss the point every time Earlsy and dig far deeper holes than I ever will.. Oz is better off than the UK with mostly cheaper goods. Migrants should bring what they should but know that not everything will work and be prepared for that.

The recession will be far worse in the UK than Oz and anyone that migrates will be better off in the long run.

Guest earlswood
You miss the point every time Earlsy and dig far deeper holes than I ever will.. Oz is better off than the UK with mostly cheaper goods. Migrants should bring what they should but know that not everything will work and be prepared for that.

The recession will be far worse in the UK than Oz and anyone that migrates will be better off in the long run.

No need to get mad and lose it mate.....I found some things cheaper in Oz but electrical goods I found more expensive, no one knows how hard the recession will hit Australia.

How do you know things are cheaper in Oz by the way?

Hi

we moved a couple of months ago but after staying with family for a couple of months we are only now buying everythign to set up a new home whcih we move into next week as we brought nothing except our laptops and a few clothes.

Definitely bring a UK extension lead so you can plug laptops/phone chargers or any UK electrical equipment you bring. We have found them a godsend.

For men - bring a suit as there are very expensive and it is hard to buy the jacket and trousers separately...just go to M & S!!!!!!

For marmite lovers - bring as much as you can. It is not called marmite here, it is called Our Mate and quite hard to find. If you are coming to Melbourne the Coles in St Kilda sells it!

I'm finding household things are generally more expensive than in the UK even buying them in the January sales although the quality tends to be better. TVs and DVDs are a bit more expensive but at least if you buy one here it will be guarranteed to work. If you get a HD TV most come with freeview built in and the freeview here is HD already although they dont have as many channels than in the UK.

If you are coming to Melbourne there are very huge shopping centres like Bluewater and Lakeside at Chadstone and Marybynong. One thing that we are finding useful if "layby" which doesnt exist in the UK. Basically it is paying a deposit on stuff and you cant have it until you have paid it off. We dont have a car so it has been useful to put things on layby and when we move next week we are getting a van to go to the shopping centres, pay off the rest of the laybys and transport them in the van so we have got everythign cheap in the sales. its been especially useful for the TV/DVD etc.

I only found out last week that the generic term for bedding is called "Manchester" - dunno why but i think the quality is better than in the UK. Bathroom scales are very expensive - about 100 quid when we got ours at a chemist in the uk for 10 pounds.

Good places to shop to get things fairly cheaply are Target, K Mart (both a bit like woolies) though i think target is better quality than Kmart. If you come to Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane there is IKEA. I think the quality in aussie IKEAs is better than in the UK and for furniture it is relatively cheap compared to other shops.

A word of warning - sofas, beds and mattresses are very expensive and although good quality the design of them is awful. In many cases it is like going back to the 70s and 80s. Black ash seems to be all over the place and it isnt cheap either. we have ended up gettign our bed and sofa from ikea as it is the only place we can find stuff we like. Some shops online are snooze, freedom, forty winks.

If you are buying big stuff or electricals always ask them what is their best price as they will give you money off - dont pay the advertised price even if it is on sale and if you are going to buy a lot of stuff in one shop ask to speak to the manager, say you have just moved from the UK and are going to spend a lot of money - the services improves immedialtely and they will give you more money off - we got a vacuum cleaner for free. Micrtowaves seem very expensive so if you are transporting a lot of stuff in a container get a cheap one from tescos for about 30 quid - they do the job. I've seen some for about $80 but most are about $150-200. good places for electrical are Good Guys, JB Hifi and dick smith. (anti virus software is more expensive $100 so buy it before you go).

I was shocked to see many people have top loaders - i've never even seen one but I think they are better than front loaders. if you have a big one you can get more in, chuck stuff in if you forget to put something in and they do seem to get clothes drier on the spin cycle

Mark

Archived