Medicals and depressive illness

Guest Clairey b

Guest Clairey b

Hi everyone

We have had our medicals today, and i am really worrying about them.:unsure:

I suffered with quite significant depression about 2- 3 years ago now, and am really concerned that this will put a stop to our plans.

I am a nurse, and back at work and not receiving any treatment, but just don't know how much immigration may frown on this?

The doctor has asked that my psychiatrist write a report (which she had done, but obviously not enough info included!) which he will include in with the rest of my medical paperwork.

The doctor said apparently hubby and kids were graded 'A' for no medical problems, but i am a 'B', meaning either current or previous significant medical history!

I just feel gutted-i really don't know what we would do if immigration said no!!!

Anyway, will stop rambling now, and would be so very grateful if anyone could give me any thoughts they may have.

Thank you all so much,

Claire x

All the B means is that someone needs to look at it. My son and I were graded B's and our meds cleared and we're here in Oz. Your consultant, just needs to provide the extra information that's needed. Try not to worry (easier said than done I know), but it's not being treated differently than any other medical condition.

Ali

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and already i'm finding it incredibly useful!! This post especially!

Me and my family have our medicals tomorrow and i'm really nervous! i'm not the best person when it comes to a needle and the doctor taking blood :unsure:

Reading everyones comments about the medicals has actually put my mind at ease...!

Thanks all!

Though it's been said by others I just wanted to add that I had depression and was having treatment 3 years before applying for our visa and here I am in Perth.

As Ali said all that 'B' means is someone 'medical' will assess your medicals but absolutely no reason from what you've said why they won't be passed. What they are looking for is the likelehood of you being a financial burden, if it was a single episode and you have been well for 2-3 years then it is unlikely you will be - of course that's just my non-expert opinion but try not to worry people do get in even with current medical conditions it's all about the cost v's benefit of having you there!

Jules

Guest donovan
Hi everyone

We have had our medicals today, and i am really worrying about them.:unsure:

I suffered with quite significant depression about 2- 3 years ago now, and am really concerned that this will put a stop to our plans.

I am a nurse, and back at work and not receiving any treatment, but just don't know how much immigration may frown on this?

The doctor has asked that my psychiatrist write a report (which she had done, but obviously not enough info included!) which he will include in with the rest of my medical paperwork.

The doctor said apparently hubby and kids were graded 'A' for no medical problems, but i am a 'B', meaning either current or previous significant medical history!

I just feel gutted-i really don't know what we would do if immigration said no!!!

Anyway, will stop rambling now, and would be so very grateful if anyone could give me any thoughts they may have.

Thank you all so much,

Claire x

Hiya Claire

I suffered with really bad depression and had a break down after the loss of my brother, I was really worried that I may not get to Oz, medical box b was ticked as they also found out that my heart was enlarged, I got my PR in Feb 07 and have been living here since Aug 07.

So try not to worry I am sure you will be fine, but keep us all updated.

Sarah x

Guest donovan
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and already i'm finding it incredibly useful!! This post especially!

Me and my family have our medicals tomorrow and i'm really nervous! i'm not the best person when it comes to a needle and the doctor taking blood :unsure:

Reading everyones comments about the medicals has actually put my mind at ease...!

Thanks all!

Hiya

they expect your BP may be a little higher due to anxiety, what I would advise is to get yours over and done with 1st

Let us know how you go

Sarah x

Hi All,

Thanks all!

Good luck with your medicals, i hate needles aswell, but i just look away and try not to think about it. Let us know how you have got on

Best of luck

Tania X

Hi Everyone,

So we had our medicals today!!!

What a bl**dy long day.. we got there just after 12.30 and didn't leave until 5ish i think... ok there were 5 of us but still it was tiring having to wait for my turn!

The worst bit for me was peeing in a cup.. ha ha it just doesnt seem like a normal thing to do!! Other than that the blood test went well... I did have the shakes but the lady was really nice so kept me calm! :cute:

I reccomend to anyone that has them coming up... take some food and drink with you!!! By 3pm I was starving and there was nothing for me to eat! Some clinics may have stuff there for you but ours didnt!

Fingers crossed we get the all clear... I think i got an 'A' for the medicals but just waiting for my blood results to come back!

To anyone that has them soon... it's really nothing to worry about... ok it's a long tiring day but other than that the process is quite easy!

Guest juliemtaylor
Hi Everyone,

So we had our medicals today!!!

What a bl**dy long day.. we got there just after 12.30 and didn't leave until 5ish i think... ok there were 5 of us but still it was tiring having to wait for my turn!

The worst bit for me was peeing in a cup.. ha ha it just doesnt seem like a normal thing to do!! Other than that the blood test went well... I did have the shakes but the lady was really nice so kept me calm! :cute:

I reccomend to anyone that has them coming up... take some food and drink with you!!! By 3pm I was starving and there was nothing for me to eat! Some clinics may have stuff there for you but ours didnt!

Fingers crossed we get the all clear... I think i got an 'A' for the medicals but just waiting for my blood results to come back!

To anyone that has them soon... it's really nothing to worry about... ok it's a long tiring day but other than that the process is quite easy!

Hi glad to hear that, where did you have them done and how much?

Julie x

Guest Clairey b

Hi, we went to Handsworth b'ham. Very efficient as you have everything done the same day as they do the x-rays there aswell. Costs were £260 per adult, £90 for 12 year old (as he needed x-ray aswell), £50 each for the younger 2. I thought this was quite good especially as it was just all over and done with within a few hours with no need to arrange x-rays on top.

Hope this helps,

Claire x

Hi Julie,

We went to the Maidenhead Clinic (Bridge Clinic) and it cost just over £900 for 5 of us (mum, dad, me 21, sisters 20/16) So about £200 each i reckon! My dad might see this post and be able to give you an exact figure but i understand the £900 mark is close!

I personally couldn't fault the clinic - lovely people and it's so good to have everything done there and then!

Emma!

Guest Burness2Oz

Hi,

I didnt think they check with your doctor? So if you were fully recovered from depression could you just not mention it??

You should mention everything - if they were to find out afterwards that you withheld information then it could have consequences to your visa. Best to be honest - it won't stop you getting a visa, I would imagine that unless you've been detained a number of times under the mental health act it's of little consequence. It isn't treated differently than any other health issue.

Archived