Bricklayer moving from brisbane to melbourne needs job

PIPMOSS

• 4 weeks later...
is there any one there

Hi Phil,

Just bumping you up & saying Hi. We are in Melbourne & my OH is a brickie too. He rang an ad in the paper & got a start for the next day. They work has been a bit sporadic this week as they guys he subbed to was in hospital the weeks before. Hopefully back on trach next week tho. Are you in Melbourne yet? He would be interested in meeting up if you are looking for work near us (DOnvale) East Melbourne. Maybe you could form your own gang, there are usually more ads for a gang than single brickies.

Cheers Jaq

Hi ian,

By all means stay in touch. We are more than happy to get together when you get here & share whatever info we have managed to pick up while we have been here. There seems to be plently of work about, lots of sites are prepared but seem to be inbetween the groundwork & brickie stages.

Where abouts in Mel are you heading? We are in Donvale to the East of the city.

Cheers Jaq

Hello again

We have the bellarine peninsula in mind ,but obviously if there is work for brickies near your side of the city then that makes our mind up really. On the whole we will be renting for 6/9 months so we are going to rent where the work is which keeps our options open. If you hear or still need a fellow brickie nearer to our arrival time and it helps us both then im in because work here is as rare as hens teeth and i have done 6 days since jan 2 having had 3 jobs cancelled due to economic situation here.Hope to hear from ye soon .

regards ian and veronica

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Guys

There is a lot of work in the Sourth East at the minute. Marriot Waters in Lyndhurst are short of brickies. One of our clients visited a few gangs on site the other day and they all said there was plenty of work and when could he start. They are paying $1 a brick. There are also lots of other developments going on at the moment so brickies are heavily in demand.

Good luck with the move.

Guest bowbrum03
Hi Guys

There is a lot of work in the Sourth East at the minute. Marriot Waters in Lyndhurst are short of brickies. One of our clients visited a few gangs on site the other day and they all said there was plenty of work and when could he start. They are paying $1 a brick. There are also lots of other developments going on at the moment so brickies are heavily in demand.

Good luck with the move.

Hi,

You say there is plenty of work in Melbourne for bricklayers, im not disputing that at all.

But would you be able to find out how many days a week they work on average, as I know a few people who would be prepared to move over from Perth, but are a little concerned that they would only be working a few days a week due to the weather. i.e.: too wet lots of rain. Melbourne has way more rain than Perth.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi,

You say there is plenty of work in Melbourne for bricklayers, im not disputing that at all.

But would you be able to find out how many days a week they work on average, as I know a few people who would be prepared to move over from Perth, but are a little concerned that they would only be working a few days a week due to the weather. i.e.: too wet lots of rain. Melbourne has way more rain than Perth.

To be honest with you a lot of brickies have been taking days off because of the heat rather than the rain. As you probably know we are having a drought down here and we aren't getting the rain that we need. If you want I will find out from some of the guys here and pm you.

Guest bowbrum03

Cheers for that,

Yes I understand that about the heat, I was going too put rain and heat in my post ,but thought the majority of time lost throughout the year would be due to rain,hopefully the rain wont be far away for you guys.

Rain what is that we never get rain anymore in Melbourne.

OH and I were just talking about it how we love it when it rains, once upon a time we did not now we wish it would rain.

We have had drought in Victoria for over ten years now.

Eastlink freeway was way ahead of schedule, why, no rain.

Good luck. Local pub is the place the tradies hang out on Fridays good place to make acquaintances and get work.

Guest The Pom Queen
Cheers for that,

Yes I understand that about the heat, I was going too put rain and heat in my post ,but thought the majority of time lost throughout the year would be due to rain,hopefully the rain wont be far away for you guys.

Hi Bowbrum

As promised the info you required. How many days are the brickies out of work over a 12 month period, the answer was not over 1 month. The wage is $1 per brick one brickie says he earns $240 per day another said $350 so I guess one is a lazy beggar and the other one is sending himself to an early grave lol:yes:

Hope this helps. Oh and lots of work available.

hello again

I see you have found out that there seems to be lots of work available is it all based on the marriott waters estate.If there seems to be, this will change our course of thinking as regards our short term future in the rentals market . If you are confident the work will still be around in may/june then this is our start off point i guess.Any more info we would be grateful

regards ian and veronica

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ian

There are quite a few vacancies all over Melbourne and quite a few in the South East. Marriott Waters is going to consist of 1000 homes and a school which will be built for 2011. So I am sure there will be lots of work still around in May, althougb like everything there are no guarantees. They are also building a new development at Sandhurst 10 minutes down the road and are after brickies for there.

Archived