Getting BBC iplayer in Oz

Guest cabbagesahoy!

Easy peaty, just go to the relevant website (try any of those referenced in the thread) and connect through them. No downloads (other than browser plug-ins/extensions) necessary for most. They all work in roughly the same way, basically you're just connecting to UK websites through a server that is (or appears to be) in the UK.

some are free, some are paid. Paid ones tend to be more reliable, partly because the operators have more funds to run the service so can afford better servers and more bandwidth, partly because they have to keep their customers happy. But there's always a free one that will work OK on the whole. You might just have to try a few, and from time to time change to a new one if the one you were using gets too popular and either gets spotted and blocked, or gets too congested. A minor hassle that's well worth it.

Do it on a laptop, you can plug that into most modern TVs and watch it on the big screen. Or stream it via a media player like Apple TV.

Minimal virus risk

Thank you for that! Will give it a go.

I've also been using Expat Shield. You can download it for free on your laptop/pc. It blocks your IP address so you can view the catch up sites or stream live tv.

The only thing is it takes a lot of memory so you might feel your laptop goes abit slower when expat shield is connected

Before Christmas there was an advert on PIO for a system that allowed you to get iplayer/C4 and ITV on demand in Oz by paying a subscription.

Did anyone use it and what is it?

Or is there anything else you can do to get British TV on your PC?

LOL! Read this back and realise I sound desperate - Only for a bit of Brit TV and so is Oz husband! Everything else is fab.

Hey there, I use a UK VPN service called laptop telly, they are 5.99 pounds a month but there is a January offer for 39.99pounds for the year. Basically you go via their VPN which is UK based and you can watch anything you like. I have it on my laptop and ipad but to download the UK iplayer apps on the ipad i have to put my itunes store back to a UK one first as they are not on the OZ one, down load them all for free, then change it back to an oz itunes account. BBC and ITV let you use apple airplay but C4 doent so i plug my laptop into the tv via vpn for that but you can do that for any channel if you do not have an ipad.

We get to watch the catch ups and live tv. Its really good.

Hope this helps, PM me for more info if you need it!

Dee :wink:

Archived