Sydney to Adelaide driving - 2 weeks sightseeing

Guest trooper

Guest trooper

We are planning on coming out to Adelaide in March and will have a couple of weeks to drive down from Sydney and see the sights along the way

We've previously done most of the touristy stuff in Sydney so its from there we're looking at suggestions, must-see's etc

We mostly want to stay coastal except we do want to go to Canberra

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions

cheers

mick

LOL, the sights from Sydney to Adelaide???? Hmm, not that many really. Definitely go down the coast because along the Hume and the Sturt is boring as b*tsh*t - there is a really good road near Hay though which would have put the romans to shame it is dead straight for hundreds of km and the major attraction is a nice variety of road kill.

Sensibly - the coast is nice, the south coast is pretty and you can pop off in some nice little towns on the way - they are all very same-y though after a while. Canberra is a bit of a detour - you could go down to Batemans Bay and then turn right - 2hrs into Canberra so easily done (and may I be prejudiced and say it will be well worth the effort!). From Canberra you could go south down the Monaro to Cooma and then do a little detour into Thredbo and see the snowfields and Kosciosko National Park. You then have a choice to backtrack to Cooma and either continue the Monaro back off the coast to Bega and Merimbula or you can cut off the corner and head down to Bombala and Cann River then turn right and follow the coast through Gippsland (which has some nice rainforest and is very pretty) to Melbourne. Or you could go from Thredbo along the Alpine Hwy and through the Victorian High Country and down to Melbourne that way. Avoid the Hume if you can it is boring in the extreme. The Canberra - Cann River road will give you a snapshot of the real Australia not the tourist kitsch especially if you pop into a pub en route for a counter lunch:biglaugh:

From Melbourne (which you will obviously want to see) then out to Geelong and along the Great Ocean Road which is littered with tourist sites - the Lock Ard Gorge, 12 Apostles, Bells Beach, London Bridge etc - all very scenic - and then up to Adelaide.

You will probably be saturated with coastal views by the time you finish but there are some lovely beaches on the way.

It's a heck of a drive but if you stop off at regular intervals you will enjoy it.

• 2 months later...
Guest elisabethk345

Make sure you stop at Wilson's prom if you are going to take that route. It is just an awesome place! I would go back immediately if I had the time :wink:

• 8 months later...
Guest johandonald

I would like to suggest

1. Sydney Harbour Show & Dinner from AUD $135

2. Sydney Opera House Tour AUD $35

3. Blue Mountains Day Tour AUD $140

4. Whale Watching Cruise AUD $80

5. Sydney Helicopter Tour AUD $199

6. Sydney Aquarium+ Wildlife World AUD $49.95

7. 1 Hour Sightseeing Cruise AUD $33

8. Hunter Valley Coach Tour AUD $184

9. Sydney Tower + Oz Trek AUD $25

10. Harbour Lunch Cruise from AUD $100

Guest proud2beaussie

Take Quolls suggestion and make a detour via the Alpine Way,it's a quick drive from there to Corryong which is only 75km's from Tallangatta where I live,I could meet you for lunch at the pub in Corryong.

Guest The Pom Queen

Have to agree with Quoll, the Hume and Stuart are not at all interesting and only worth it if you are rushing to get from A to B. The coastal drive from Sydney to Melbourne is lovely and one I did last year.

Coming from Melbourne to Sydney we took in Paynesville (a lovely seaside town and a 2 minute ferry across to the koalas on Raymond Island) from here we stayed at Cape Conran (absolutely lovely and great area for seeing wildlife) then up to Eden and Merimbula, then it was up to Jervis Bay (wish we had more time in this area) and then Wollongong before arriving in Sydney.

It was a wonderful drive and lots of lovely beaches and scenic photo opportunities.

Guest Tom the Pom
I would like to suggest

1. Sydney Harbour Show & Dinner from AUD $135

2. Sydney Opera House Tour AUD $35

3. Blue Mountains Day Tour AUD $140

4. Whale Watching Cruise AUD $80

5. Sydney Helicopter Tour AUD $199

6. Sydney Aquarium+ Wildlife World AUD $49.95

7. 1 Hour Sightseeing Cruise AUD $33

8. Hunter Valley Coach Tour AUD $184

9. Sydney Tower + Oz Trek AUD $25

10. Harbour Lunch Cruise from AUD $100

Do you work for the Sydney tourist board???

You really should!!!

Archived