plumbers thread queensland

Guest snow white

its been a bit quiet on this thread just wanted to see how everyones getting on

lesley x

Hi Lesley, i have been out working today with a new mate fitting air con units to try and eventually add another string to my bow.

Is your OH able to start the course next week with this job.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lesley Hi, good news with regards to the OH new job, I think the relocation company is a good idea if you can advise trademan before they come out it will make life a lot easyer for them. I don't no if anyother tradesman out there have noticed but it seems to me that things are picking up a little.

Best wishes Matt.

Guest snow white
Hi Lesley, i have been out working today with a new mate fitting air con units to try and eventually add another string to my bow.

Is your OH able to start the course next week with this job.

hi there

im pleased youve been adding more strings to your bow air con would be good to get into , this job are going to pay for him to train to drive hiab, tanker ec they will want him to be able to do lots looks like he will be all over queensland with this role but he cannot wait cant start until they get him the vehicle they want him to use, but they will be keeping him busy and its salaried which for us in oz is a first time and will offer more security i hate all this casual, sub contracting **** you never know where you are when hes working and when hes not

lesley x

Guest snow white
Lesley Hi, good news with regards to the OH new job, I think the relocation company is a good idea if you can advise trademan before they come out it will make life a lot easyer for them. I don't no if anyother tradesman out there have noticed but it seems to me that things are picking up a little.

Best wishes Matt.

hi matt, yes i agree it is picking up i know the company hes helping out at the moment will probably be looking for a plumber gasfitter in a week as he wont be able to work for them so pm me and will forward companys details gladly help anyone out.

as for the relocation company we used one when we arrived and i can safely say it was worth every penny kids had a base straight away and we could get organised too. if i can get as many plumbers gasfitters who are thinking of moving here aware of exactly whats involved and it helps them thats great, wouldnt want any expats relocating to gold coast to find out the hard way like us. plus dont forget all you are helping too keep the thread going and give people as much info as poss

all the best

lesley x

Hi Lesley,

Just a quick question not plumbing related if i may. Did you reseach or plan to start a rolocation company while you we're in the uk or was it an idea that come from your experience using another relocation company that helped you move out there? I read somewhere on poms that if you want to make a go of anything, aus is the place to do it. I don't want to be plumbing forever, or even own a plumbing business but I do have a nagging itch to stick my neck out and go for it, trouble is, i havn't found what "it" is yet, most annoying lol

Guest snow white
Hi Lesley,

Just a quick question not plumbing related if i may. Did you reseach or plan to start a rolocation company while you we're in the uk or was it an idea that come from your experience using another relocation company that helped you move out there? I read somewhere on poms that if you want to make a go of anything, aus is the place to do it. I don't want to be plumbing forever, or even own a plumbing business but I do have a nagging itch to stick my neck out and go for it, trouble is, i havn't found what "it" is yet, most annoying lol

hi martin,

heres the short version, when we started the lengthy visa process me like many others spent time not only on here but on real estate.com.au searching areas looking at houses we werent entirley sure where we wanted to settle i sent hundreds of enquiries to agents asking about rentals how many replies did i get back 3!!! and even they didint want to know until we were in oz and not more than 2 weeks before we needed the house, so i decided to use a relocation agent 1. i had someone to keep in touch with constantly and 2. i had a house ready and waiting when we got off the plane including the hiring of white goods etc and with 6 children i needed a head start as much as poss lol.

Anyway u know me love helping people and making new friends so i thought i can do that and sd i did, guess if you set your mind to doing something like even moving your family to the ohter side of the world you can achieve anything mever give up!

im also doing something on my website for tradies so watch this space will let you know once its up and running

all the best lesley x

Guest claireh01

this thread is fab it has hepled me so much . my oh is a gas engineer and we r hoping to move out there end of this year beginning of next but havent started the ball rolling at all really going to a semminar next week so that might get us moving and we hoping for hol in may .

what are the thoughts on coming over on a sponsership visa we have been informed we could come over on a sponsership visa all paid for.

or would we be better going for perm res any help and advice would be great as i said we right at the beginning of the migrating process

thanks claire

Guest snow white

hi claire,

glad you like the post its easier than me keep repeating myself lol, the permanent residents visa is the best one as far as im aware you will have your medicare, no school fess if you have children, and its better for when you want to purchase items etc buy a car need a loan credit cards, mortgages,payments from centrelink and help towards daycare costs im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but the choice is yours we came over on permanent visa and it is the one most people would want

Lesleyx

Guest snow white

just a thought guys and girls on here dont forget to click my chick if the post gets some reputation it will get better recognition and so will i lol

all the best

lesley x

Guest snow white
We came over on a sponsorship visa, my wife is a mental health nurse so there were lots of sponsorships available, getting one as a tradie is near on impossible unless you have worked for the company before, ie. on a working holiday visa. They want to meet you prior to you getting employment. Ive not heard of anyone getting sponsored as a tradie from the UK. I would go on the perm res visa, we wish we had as it comes with more benefits, we are losing out on child benefit and help with childcare which would be handy right now. We are in the process of applying for perm res from here so we can get these benefits.

i agree permanent residency is better than sponsorship as far as security goes for you and the family, and if your a tradie you need as much help adn security there willing to pass your way believe me .

lesley x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snow white

hi guys,

just wanted to say a big congrats to madplumber1 who just got his visa great news all the best for others waiting to hear

lesley x

Guest snow white

hi all,

humpy hows the job going? oh started his gas inspectors job and its 2 weeks in hes the happiest ive ever seen him and i just wanted to say to all plumbers gasfitters out there dont give up after everything weve been through honest its worth it in the end

all the best lesley x

Guest ian & jo

Brilliant news!! glad your OH's got job he really wants. Gives us lot still back in the uk that it is worth carrying on & not giving up, even though there are days when you feel like it!!

Hopefully we'll ALL get there in the end. Jo x.

Guest snow white

course you will jo everyone knows how hard its been for us and thats why i started this thread to get as much info as possible to help others be in a better situation then we found ourselves in

glad to hear you wont give up get as much info on licenses etc before you get herre jo it will help you in thte long run anything i can do to help let me know

lesley x

Guest snow white

any new plumbers gasfitters arrived or arriving soon to queensland out there just wondered how things are going

lesley x

Guest The Goodchilds

Hi, we would like to be coming over but we are 175 visa for plumbers so not sure what to do? Is there much work in the area at the moment.?

Guest snow white

hi there

yes theres work you have to be prepared to commute and learn the way they do plumbing things etc in oz , lots of work contracting just got to get your foot in the right door more than anything else

lesley x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xwaite

Hi Lesley,

Yes i started the course about 6 weeks ago now and it isn't as bad as i thought it might be, the rest of the lads are a good bunch and everyone helps each other out it starts at 4-30 and usually we get done about 7

Hows your OH getting on? i haven't been doing much work but we have been busy hunting for a new rental.

Guest snow white

glad to hear its all going well on the course be good for others to know also, oh is doing fine loves doing his gaswork plus he shattered time he commutes and gets in as hes all over queensland at the moment that means loads peace for me and i get to watch what i like lol

lesley x

Guest Pipkins

Hi Lesley

We've been following your thread with interest - thanks for keeping it going!

We are waiting on a 176 Qld Govt sponsored visa, have got a case officer and having medicals next week. Being a 176 seems to have speeded the process up for us, which is a bit lucky! If all goes well we are in a bit of a dilema as to when to head over to Oz! OH has got plenty of work here at the moment so we are thinking it might be better to wait a bit and save as much as possible to tide us over if things are a bit difficult in Oz. Not sure how long ithe work will last here tho - have told OH he might be going first if he runs out here! We are also keen to get over to Oz and start our new life!!

Glad to hear your OH is enjoying his new job - gives us hope that there are jobs to be had still!

Will keep reading to see how things progress and how everyone else is getting on.

Cheers, Mandy

Guest snow white
Hi Lesley

We've been following your thread with interest - thanks for keeping it going!

We are waiting on a 176 Qld Govt sponsored visa, have got a case officer and having medicals next week. Being a 176 seems to have speeded the process up for us, which is a bit lucky! If all goes well we are in a bit of a dilema as to when to head over to Oz! OH has got plenty of work here at the moment so we are thinking it might be better to wait a bit and save as much as possible to tide us over if things are a bit difficult in Oz. Not sure how long ithe work will last here tho - have told OH he might be going first if he runs out here! We are also keen to get over to Oz and start our new life!!

Glad to hear your OH is enjoying his new job - gives us hope that there are jobs to be had still!

Will keep reading to see how things progress and how everyone else is getting on.

Cheers, Mandy

hi mandy,

glad to hear the threads been helpful its been a bit quiet lately not many people have posted so maybe plumbers are doiung ok at the moment,

my oh started his job nearly 2 months ago he is gasfitting which he prefers to plumbing so keeps him happy and quiet lol which means we get peace lol

things are hard at the moment for tradies a lot of the work is sub contracting and it would appear the ozzies are looking after their own first before taking on any poms? so if you do come over you need to make sure you have enough money to live on incase you cant find work for a few months. if you have plenty of work in the uk and you are not in a situation where you have to be here asap then i would definitely save as much as you can while you have the work .

all the best

lesley x

Guest Bonzie

G'day folks, Its me from bundaberg again, things up here seem ok at the moment, I am still working for a couple of different plumbers and doing my own gas work so am keeping busy. The best advice i could give to anyone coming over is to get a copy of the aussie plumbing standards (AS3500) and gas regulations (AS5601 and AS 1596), have a read through as some of it will make sense then when you start work here. I am currently on a 2 days a month course at Mooloolaba Tafe which will mean that I get my full plumbing licence in December. I have been over here 2.5 years but have been busy plumbing so have not been too worried about the licence but now want to go self employed again so the licence I must have (clear as mud eh). If anyones interested the contact details are 07 5459 3720, Mr Bob Walters ( a brilliant teacher I may add), email him at Robert.walters@deta.qld.gov.au . The course title is 39206QLD Course in Plumbing Licensing. It also includes the gas side of things as well. I am still in touch with my old pommy mates down in sunny devon and they tell me things are pretty slack back there. I have been reading some of the other threads about bad things in aus and not sure where these people have been living as here in Bundy is just great, good beaches, no traffic problems, cheap houses, cheap fuel, locals very friendly etc.

Back to the plumbing, I still believe that once you have picked up the basics of the aussie way then any pom is at least as good as any aussie plumber, same as any job I suppose, good and bad everywhere. Enough of me ramblings, have to go and tell the kids to turn the music down, they are outside having a pool party with about 40 mates (10 supposedly invited), ah the great aussie lifestyle. Cheers for listening, come on chelsea.

Guest Bonzie
Hi Bonzie, so you can do a licence course on the sunny Coast, been told only Acacia Ridge were running to courses. Do you have contact details mate.

I work for local plumber on Maintainence and we are really busy, not heard of many slack plumbers actually.

Cheers Dale

Hello there, The phone number and email for the course details are all in my ramblings (the one above yours) . Bob walters, the teacher, told us that there are only 3 places in qld to do the course, one in Gold Coast, one in Brisbane and the one in Mooloolaba. I have tried to do the course on-line but found that skill-tech were hopeless, it was ok for the non plumbing parts ie management skills, health and safety etc but not much cop for the plumbing bits. Good to hear that you are busy too mate, I was begining to feel gulity about having lots of work! Where are you based, we are in Burnett Heads, sleepy village on coast nr Bundy. Cheers PB.

Archived