plumbers thread queensland

Guest snow white

Guest snow white
Hi Lesley, just been reading your threads on gas fitters / plumbers. My oh's a corgi reg. gas fitter/plumber & we're hoping to move out to Brisbane later this year. All the info has been so helpful just want to say thanks & I hope I can come to you for anymore help / advice. Have you heard anything from the interview yet hope you get good news.

Thanks again. Your a life saver. Jo x.

hi jo,

wouldnt want anyone to experience the nightmare we did on arriving through trades licenses thats why i did the post forewarned is forearmed. if you need anything give me a shout only too willing too help. thanks for the best wishes he has to wait as there interviewing all week but they were happy with all the certs and quals he has so guess just wait n see

lesley x

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest snow white
Hi Lesley, keep my fingers crossed, hope it's good news ! jo x.

thanks jo,

its also good to know your helping others when they get here to understand exactly what they need to do and how they can get their licenses etc

lesley x

Guest Christine&paul

Hi Lesley, Just wanted to wish Steve all the best with his job interview. Hope you are all well

luv ChristinePaul Andrew & Arran x

Guest snow white
Hi Lesley, Just wanted to wish Steve all the best with his job interview. Hope you are all well

luv ChristinePaul Andrew & Arran x

thanks christine, wont hear for another week but at least he had interview for gas work which is something

lesley x

Hello Lauren and Murat, I just read your mention of skills recognition, this is the route that I have taken but skillstech do not seem to want to recognise UK skills, only what I have done over here. I have found that Nambour tafe will be running a plumber/drainers licence course, the name i have been given is Robert Walters, but as yey have had no reply from him regarding dates etc. My contact at Skillstech was a Kerry Apelt, about as much use as a chocolate teapot I'm afraid, but as soon as I find out more from nambour I will put it on the web.

Guest madplumber1
Hello to everyone, just thought I would put my tuppence worth in as well. I moved over in Nov 2006, as a plumber and gas fitter. In the UK I did natural and lpg gas work, upon arrival I went to the dept of mines and energy, brisbane, met a chap by the name of ray watts, after an hours chat I walked out with a full gas licence! The plumbers and drainers board not so good, have a provisional licence, I have done some of the modules, still need to do the hot/cold module (this involves the design of the hot/cold services, fire service, stack work, drainage and stormwater for a minimum 6 storey building, showing all hydraulic calculations). Over the top but then again 3 out of the 4 bods that write the exam are hydraulic engineers (of course I might be just a cynical old git) and its what they want. Skills tech I have found to be pretty useless, ie in my first year I was put on the wrong course so that was 12 months wasted. I have worked as a plumber, drainer and gas fitter since arrival and the standard of work is better than the uk but nothing a good english plumber could not cope with. The best thing to do is to photograph all your work and establish a good relationship with the local inspectors, mostly alright blokes, just the odd little hitler around. When you have obtained your full licences you then need to obtain a QBSA licence (queensland building services authority). This involves a two day management course plus fees. If you want to trade under a name other than your own, ie brisbane plumbing, you need to register the name, another certificate and more fees. I have got qbsa licence for my gas work, it does feel good when you finally get it and soon hope to have the same for the plumbers/drainers as well.

I do like the work, its different from the uk and the lifestyle is good. We live outside Bundaberg, a place called burnett heads, just opposite the beach, 4 months a year we have the turtles nesting/hatching, temperature is great, the most temperate part of australia, 18/25 winter, 23/30 in summer. I am still very busy with work, I find the aussie tradesman are a bit like some of the uk fellas, ie do not turn up on time, so as long as you are polite, know your stuff and go when you said you would it will be all good. Must go now as tea is ready. (ps i do miss proper fish and chips)

Absolutely crackin post Bonzie, we're due to come over to Brissy within the next few months, I'm a plumber with 26 years experience in the UK and have domestic and commercial ACS accreditatio. After readin this thread think i'll do my LPG ticket before i come over....many thanks once again for the info

madplumber

Guest snow white
Absolutely crackin post Bonzie, we're due to come over to Brissy within the next few months, I'm a plumber with 26 years experience in the UK and have domestic and commercial ACS accreditatio. After readin this thread think i'll do my LPG ticket before i come over....many thanks once again for the info

madplumber

pleased started the thread off now the more plumbers gasfitters who know what they need and what to expect when they get here the better chance you will all have good luck

lesley x

Guest madplumber1
pleased started the thread off now the more plumbers gasfitters who know what they need and what to expect when they get here the better chance you will all have good luck

lesley x

You started a good thread here lesley...loads of info thats going to be very useful for plumber/gas fitters...well done

madplumber

Hi All,

Lesley thanks so much for starting this thread. I've just found it tonight and have only skimmed through looking at a couple of posts per page and feel like a kid at Christmas. I can't wait to get home from work tomorrow when I've more time to read all. I'm a plumber too, have done the vetassess assessment and have got my agent checking over our main application forms at the moment. I'd welcome any information with regards the registration process thats going as it's still a little confusing. I'll have a good read of your/this thread tomorrow and if need be may i pm you with any questions???

Kind regards

Martin

Guest snow white
Hi All,

Lesley thanks so much for starting this thread. I've just found it tonight and have only skimmed through looking at a couple of posts per page and feel like a kid at Christmas. I can't wait to get home from work tomorrow when I've more time to read all. I'm a plumber too, have done the vetassess assessment and have got my agent checking over our main application forms at the moment. I'd welcome any information with regards the registration process thats going as it's still a little confusing. I'll have a good read of your/this thread tomorrow and if need be may i pm you with any questions???

Kind regards

Martin

hi martin,

pm me anytime like ive said hundreds of times before if i can help anyone not to have to go through the crap and trauma we went though when we arrived and are just sorting out now that will be good enough for me. trouble is all these agents who take your money for getting you the visa under your trade should make you more aware of exactly what your trade will give you herre would help a lot of people before moving here

lesley x

Thanks Lesley, will have a good read through so i'm not repeating previouly asked questions and come back to you if needed (which is very probable lol).

cheers

Martin

Guest snow white
just bumping thread up

any plumbers out there picking up on any work in brisbane or goldcoast yet keen to know how things are looking oh has been offered a job in 2weeks working for company he used to work for it means travelling but employer looks after you and money good plus will transfer you to nearer when other work start off will keep you all posted if anyone looking for plumbing jobs up this way

and martin how did you go reading up on posts on this thread cheers for the bump by the way

lesley x

any plumbers out there picking up on any work in brisbane or goldcoast yet keen to know how things are looking oh has been offered a job in 2weeks working for company he used to work for it means travelling but employer looks after you and money good plus will transfer you to nearer when other work start off will keep you all posted if anyone looking for plumbing jobs up this way

and martin how did you go reading up on posts on this thread cheers for the bump by the way

lesley x

Hi Lesley

I'm looking for a start at the moment if they are looking for others plumbers, i,m about 15mins south of you guys, lots of experience and get on with anyone.

Let me know, would also be good to grab a quick beer with your OH sometime before we both start the course.

Cheers

Gary

Guest snow white
Hi Lesley

I'm looking for a start at the moment if they are looking for others plumbers, i,m about 15mins south of you guys, lots of experience and get on with anyone.

Let me know, would also be good to grab a quick beer with your OH sometime before we both start the course.

Cheers

Gary

hi gary your welcome round for a beer anytime,

if he starts the job in 2 weeks he cant do course as he ahs to travel 2 hours there and 2 hours back so wont be available, if they need more i will be first to let you know, let me know if you want to call round

lesleyx

hi gary your welcome round for a beer anytime,

if he starts the job in 2 weeks he cant do course as he ahs to travel 2 hours there and 2 hours back so wont be available, if they need more i will be first to let you know, let me know if you want to call round

lesleyx

Ok Lesley, thats great that he has work but a pain that he can't do the course.

Would be good if you would bear me in mind if they need more blokes

Will try and catch up with you soon.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Lesley,

Congrats to your OH for landing the new job. As Gary said, it's a shame that it's stopped him progressing by doing the course, hopefully the firms local work will pick up enabling him to get on the next course.

Does you oh know what his hours of work are yet?? I've heard that generally site hours are from 06:30 until about 15:30, is that right do you know??

You also mentioned that you have recieved the latest forms for courses from tafe, If i pm you my email could you add me to the list of peeps to send them to??

Thanks so much for all you help, can't help feeling a little guilty getting inside information while you've both had to do it the hard way. You'll deff be on our first barbie short list lol

Kind Regards

Martin

Calling all plumbers going to any state.

On the site: www.masterplumber.com.au you can be directed to each states Master Plumber page.

The quote below from the central main site explains it all,

"This site provides you with links to state associations. Those sites offer valuable industry information including regulations, installation and technical standards. You'll can also find career information with training and apprenticeship opportunities. If you need a fully qualified professional Master Plumber near you, some states have a web-based Find a Plumber service, or contact your state's office."

Hope this is of use, I've not gone through the QLD site in detail yet but it looks very informative, also you can pick up new material names, mechant names etc

Regards

Martin

Guest snow white
Hi Lesley,

Congrats to your OH for landing the new job. As Gary said, it's a shame that it's stopped him progressing by doing the course, hopefully the firms local work will pick up enabling him to get on the next course.

Does you oh know what his hours of work are yet?? I've heard that generally site hours are from 06:30 until about 15:30, is that right do you know??

You also mentioned that you have recieved the latest forms for courses from tafe, If i pm you my email could you add me to the list of peeps to send them to??

Thanks so much for all you help, can't help feeling a little guilty getting inside information while you've both had to do it the hard way. You'll deff be on our first barbie short list lol

Kind Regards

Martin

hi martin, site work starts a t 6am so he has to leave at 4am at the minute though he just has to be grateful he has a job we are getting pretty desparate its hard for him as hes never been out of work in his life until he came to oz .

can forward you the list of forms but they will be for the course starting this month will send you the ones that tafe sent me and you can have a look anyway send me your email

lesley x

Got this info from this site: Skills recognition - Department of Education, Training and the Arts

Trade recognition

Trade recognition is a way of gaining formal recognition in Queensland in a particular trade. If you have not completed an apprenticeship in Australia or you have gained trade skills overseas, you can have your skills and work experience nationally recognised.

Do you meet one of the criteria below?

1. Are you an Australian or New Zealand citizen?

OR

2. Do you have permanent residency in Australia?

OR

3. Do you hold a Provisional visa (163, 309, 310, 457, 820 and 826) or Skilled Independent Regional (SIR) visa or Temporary Protection Visa (TPV)?

Yes / No

Do you meet any of the criteria below?

1. Are you a permanent resident of Queensland?

OR

2. Are you permanently employed in Queensland?

OR

3. Do you have future employment in Queensland?

Yes / No

Do you meet the criteria below?

1. Have you recently been working in the trade in which you are seeking recognition and have gained a wide range of experience?

AND
  2. Have you not been indentured as an apprentice in Queensland in the immediate 12 months prior to applying for recognition?

Yes / No

Plumbing trades

Clients with enquiries regarding a plumbing trade should call the Plumbers and Drainers Board on (07) 3235 4149.

There is no skills recognition pathway for plumbing trades. Persons who have been working in the industry but do not have any qualifications will need to undertake an apprenticeship.

Types of plumbers:

• Plumber
  • Water plumber
  • Country plumber
  • Drainer
  • Restricted water plumber - gas
  • Restricted water plumber - electrical
  • Restricted water plumber - irrigation
  • Restricted water plumber - fire protection (hydrants and hose reels)
  • Restricted water plumber - fire protection (commercial and industrial)
  • Restricted water plumber - fire protection (domestic and residential)
  • Restricted drainer - on-site sewerage facility

Note: To become a roof plumber, you need to follow the skills recognition process for Construction trades.

Overseas trained plumbers

Overseas trained plumbers need to contact the Plumbers and Drainers Board, who will advise you about the options available. A Plumbers with overseas qualifications factsheet [PDF 107kb] is available from the Plumbers and Drainers Board website.

People who gained a plumbing trade qualification overse as can undertake a skills assessment or may be eligible to have their qualification recognised under the Australian / New Zealand Reciprocity Association arrangements.

Licence requirements

It is illegal to work as a plumber without a licence. Once you have received your Certificate III in Plumbing, you will be required to obtain a licence issued by the Plumbers and Drainers Board. People enquiring about licensing requirements can contact the board on (07) 3235 4149 or visit the Plumbers and Drainers Board website.

Guest snow white
Got this info from this site: Skills recognition - Department of Education, Training and the Arts

Trade recognition

Trade recognition is a way of gaining formal recognition in Queensland in a particular trade. If you have not completed an apprenticeship in Australia or you have gained trade skills overseas, you can have your skills and work experience nationally recognised.

Do you meet one of the criteria below?

1. Are you an Australian or New Zealand citizen?

OR

2. Do you have permanent residency in Australia?

OR

3. Do you hold a Provisional visa (163, 309, 310, 457, 820 and 826) or Skilled Independent Regional (SIR) visa or Temporary Protection Visa (TPV)?

Yes / No

Do you meet any of the criteria below?

1. Are you a permanent resident of Queensland?

OR

2. Are you permanently employed in Queensland?

OR

3. Do you have future employment in Queensland?

Yes / No

Do you meet the criteria below?

1. Have you recently been working in the trade in which you are seeking recognition and have gained a wide range of experience?

AND

2. Have you not been indentured as an apprentice in Queensland in the immediate 12 months prior to applying for recognition?

Yes / No

Plumbing trades

Clients with enquiries regarding a plumbing trade should call the Plumbers and Drainers Board on (07) 3235 4149.

There is no skills recognition pathway for plumbing trades. Persons who have been working in the industry but do not have any qualifications will need to undertake an apprenticeship.

Types of plumbers:

• Plumber

• Water plumber

• Country plumber

• Drainer

• Restricted water plumber - gas

• Restricted water plumber - electrical

• Restricted water plumber - irrigation

• Restricted water plumber - fire protection (hydrants and hose reels)

• Restricted water plumber - fire protection (commercial and industrial)

• Restricted water plumber - fire protection (domestic and residential)

• Restricted drainer - on-site sewerage facility

Note: To become a roof plumber, you need to follow the skills recognition process for Construction trades.

Overseas trained plumbers

Overseas trained plumbers need to contact the Plumbers and Drainers Board, who will advise you about the options available. A Plumbers with overseas qualifications factsheet [PDF 107kb] is available from the Plumbers and Drainers Board website.

People who gained a plumbing trade qualification overse as can undertake a skills assessment or may be eligible to have their qualification recognised under the Australian / New Zealand Reciprocity Association arrangements.

Licence requirements

It is illegal to work as a plumber without a licence. Once you have received your Certificate III in Plumbing, you will be required to obtain a licence issued by the Plumbers and Drainers Board. People enquiring about licensing requirements can contact the board on (07) 3235 4149 or visit the Plumbers and Drainers Board website.

hi martin,

thats the course steve had to do as he ahs already done 12 months work in qld so jsut needs to do a 3 month course to get his quals recognised it is a bit mad really shouldnt need to take a course which lasts 3 months to get his license back when hes done 12 months experience should be able to sit an exam to show what he knows and thats that . jsut makes it very hard for plumbers to manange on the apprentice wage when they can find work and the money to do the course also but its got to be done if eh wants his full license back

lesley

madplumber

Hello madplumber1, with a name like that you will fit in well down under. I have after all this time managed to get on a plumbing licensing course in Mooloolaba, sunny coast, as I now realise that there is know one who will do RPL (recognition of prior learning) in plumbing. Some of the modules I have done already but the tutor will let me do the missing ones early. ie the ones i need are not due to begin until october but he will let me do them from mid feb onwards. I think it will be 1 or 2 days a week for 2 months. Now for some general plumbing/gas facts here in qld. All gas fitting are flared, ie no olives are allowed, you have to flare the pipe with a flaring tool, ridgid do a good one about $220, lpg pressure is lower than uk, 2.75 kpa (27.5 mb), every water heater I have fitted so far has been outside, flue gas analysers are expensive, you can use flexible pipe with crimped joints, brilliant under houses, soldering is done using stick solder not soft solder and we use oxy/cetalene gas as propane not hot enough to melt solder, I do have a rothenberger superfire 3 and mapp gas for quick jobs. The boss now tells me tea is ready so will write some more stuff later.

Archived