plumbers thread queensland

Guest snow white

Hello madplumber1, with a name like that you will fit in well down under. I have after all this time managed to get on a plumbing licensing course in Mooloolaba, sunny coast, as I now realise that there is know one who will do RPL (recognition of prior learning) in plumbing. Some of the modules I have done already but the tutor will let me do the missing ones early. ie the ones i need are not due to begin until october but he will let me do them from mid feb onwards. I think it will be 1 or 2 days a week for 2 months. Now for some general plumbing/gas facts here in qld. All gas fitting are flared, ie no olives are allowed, you have to flare the pipe with a flaring tool, ridgid do a good one about $220, lpg pressure is lower than uk, 2.75 kpa (27.5 mb), every water heater I have fitted so far has been outside, flue gas analysers are expensive, you can use flexible pipe with crimped joints, brilliant under houses, soldering is done using stick solder not soft solder and we use oxy/cetalene gas as propane not hot enough to melt solder, I do have a rothenberger superfire 3 and mapp gas for quick jobs. The boss now tells me tea is ready so will write some more stuff later.

Hi Bonzie,

Am i correct in saying that the pipe sizes in aus are different and our uk pipe benders/guides/pipeslices are redundant in Aus? Do they use flaring/expanding tools on water applications in aus unlike the uk? Is the health and safety on sites as "over the top" as the uk? Soon we'll need to risk assess going to the toilet and then have to write a method statement on how we'll go about it !!!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI all,

We are living on the Sunshine coast QLD , been here nearly 6months, not much luck on the work front. OH is a plumber with provisional license and a bluey. If anyone knows of ANYONE, ANYWHERE that needs a tradie PLEASE let us know. OH has 19yr experience in the UK but unfortunately that doesn't seem to mean alot here. WE really hope that something comes up soon or we may have to return to the UK which we don't want to do but with 2 little uns in tow we have to be realistic.

We come to the end of our lease in the next few weeks so we will relocate if we need to.

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

HI all,

We are living on the Sunshine coast QLD , been here nearly 6months, not much luck on the work front. OH is a plumber with provisional license and a bluey. If anyone knows of ANYONE, ANYWHERE that needs a tradie PLEASE let us know. OH has 19yr experience in the UK but unfortunately that doesn't seem to mean alot here. WE really hope that something comes up soon or we may have to return to the UK which we don't want to do but with 2 little uns in tow we have to be realistic.

We come to the end of our lease in the next few weeks so we will relocate if we need to.

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

Hi Betsy,

I'm a plumber (still in uk) and have tried to put myself in your situation, If you like the area that your living in and ideally wish to stay there for work then i think your oh must explore all avenues. I would go into one of the big local plumbers merchants and talk to the manager, he will know without looking on his system which of his customers is busy and which are struggling, usually tell you if there are any ones to avoid (about to go bump). He may be able to give you a shortlist of companies to try rather than ringing random companies blind wasting your time. If there are many building sites around then it may be a case of just asking who's doing the plumbing/mech and offering his services that way.

A few peeps on here have struggled for work striaght away. Hopefully by the time we get out there things will be on the way up again but I would take any job to pay the bills than come back to uk. Our situation is different as there is and will be just me and wife.

I hope this is of help and that your oh finds work soon, I'm sure he will

Take care

Martin

Guest snow white

hi all,

well as you know were on gold coast and oh been out of work since xmas things do seem to be picking up htere are a few more jobs getting listed on seek for pumbers we applied for 4 on thursday also gasfitter jobs, oh got a phone call an hour later has interview for gas job on monday so fingers crossed will keep you updated and if there looking for anyone else will give you a shout

hoping everyone finds work soon

lesley x

Guest snow white
Wish your OH all the best for tommorrow Lesley.

Gary

cheers gary he loves gas work more than the plumbing side so he is really hoping he gets this job fingers crossed its our turn for a bit of good luck

lesley x

Hi Bonzie,

Am i correct in saying that the pipe sizes in aus are different and our uk pipe benders/guides/pipeslices are redundant in Aus? Do they use flaring/expanding tools on water applications in aus unlike the uk? Is the health and safety on sites as "over the top" as the uk? Soon we'll need to risk assess going to the toilet and then have to write a method statement on how we'll go about it !!!

Yes, the pipe sizes are different here so you will need to sell your benders and slices. Most plumbers seem to talk imperial when sizing copper upto 1" then switch to metric, but maybe the people I work with are just daft ( more probably the reason). The 1/2 " equates to 12.7 mm (outside diameter), the 3/4 is 19.1mm. These are what you use most of on domestic installations. I have bought a rothenberger bender with 1/2 and 3/4 guides as I cannot get used to the all in one benders they use, ie a bender for each pipe size. We have to weld the pipe using 2% solder sticks with oxycetalene gas. This burns hotter and needs no flux on the pipe, unless you are joining to brass. In reality I use very little copper in plumbing, mostly "K2" plastic pipe that is joined by crimping tools. The plumbers I work with seem to put little faith in push fit joints although it is available. After an hour or two you will be fine with the welding, in fact I think its easier than using the propane and the joints are stronger. When you do a rough in (first fix) you end all pipework with bp's (back plates). A fitting with a 1/2 " bsp tail about 100mm long, so when all the other trades are done you " fit off" and join your tap flexi,s to the bsp tail sticking through the wall/cupboard.

The waste pipe is similar to uk, we do not use 32mm at all, basins in 40mm, everything else 50mm. All pipework is glued. The sanitary drainage is same size as uk, glued again, you have to put primer on each joint and the pipe (has to be red primer) and use blue glue. For fit offs under sinks etc we are allowed to use clear primer and glue, depends on the inspector. If you are hooking up a pump to a rain water tank you use pressure pipe and have to use red primer with green glue. In most bathrooms and laundry areas you have a floorwaste, this is usually fed by the basin, bath shower etc and is trapped and linked to the main line. Outside the property there will be a "org", (overflow relief gully), this is trapped and is where the sewer will flood from if it gets blocked. The trap is charged by a basin, kitchen sink etc or outside tap. There are lots of rules regarding drainage / stackwork/ elevated drainage but it all cilcks after a while. Even some of the plumbers I work with (aussies with 20 yrs experience) still ring the local plumbing inspector if unsure of something.

I work on alot of rainwater tanks and supply systems, pump installations, first flush systems, septic tank and absorption/evaporation beds and really enjoy the work. I expect it is because where I work is a bit rural and most places have no mains water. I also install a lot of stormwater pipework ( to you downpipes). The first flush systems are just a way of bypassing the first water of the roof to the water tanks so the water quality is better.

The gas side of things is very similar to the uk , just no boilers to install up here in queensland.

Hope some of this helps, a few websites to try are - Iplex , Auspex (pipe suppliers)

Reece, tradelink (plumbers merchants), Davy, Onga (pump suppliers).

Cheers PB

Hi Bonzie,

Forgot to say but yes health and safety is big over here. Main difference is your power tool need tagging (checking and tagged) every 3 months. Also everything is 240 volt so not much use for my 110 stuff.

Hi all great post I wish it had been around twelve months ago, we moved to Hervey Bay on the 11th of Jan 2009 we had visited in September 2008 and there was alot of building work going on. Fast foward to the present day and its unbelievable its like someone has flicked a switch and all the new build work has stopped. This is not great if you are looking for plumbing work. From what I make out Queensland is the hardest state to gain a plumbing License with uk quailifications and you are looking at a couple of years to gain your full License so with that and the slowing of the construction industry the first two years are going to be hard. Seek and Career one are a good start for looking for work, it looks like I will be helping one of the local plumbers if and when he needs it which I will happly take for the moment. To anyone coming over all I would say is don't expect it to be easy, if you know where you are staying for the first two months apply for your tax file number, medicare card, blue card and prov plumbing licence as soon as you can.

It will be worth it inthe end Matt.

Guest snow white

hi shorty,

couldnt agree more tradies are finding it tough here on gold coast hopefully you will find work soon , my oh has his 2nd interview thurs for gas work job so were all praying lol , the reason i started the thread was to help as many plumbers gasfitters waiting to come out or who got here like us and found out the hard way no you cant have your full license sorry

all the best lesley x

Guest snow white

hi all just to let you fellow tradies know you know the old saying wait for a bus an hour then 2 come along together, well oh had an interview out of the blue today and he has got the job unbelievable also has interview tomorrow for the job he really wants so has let the company know he will sub contract to them but if he gets other job he will take it they were really pleased he was honest and upfront and didnt want to mess them about they said they were fine with that and if he wanted to start tomorrow and he gets the other job he can continue to work for them weekends and whenever, just wanted to let you all know theres still work out their

all the best to all looking and waiting to get here dont give up !

lesley x

hi all just to let you fellow tradies know you know the old saying wait for a bus an hour then 2 come along together, well oh had an interview out of the blue today and he has got the job unbelievable also has interview tomorrow for the job he really wants so has let the company know he will sub contract to them but if he gets other job he will take it they were really pleased he was honest and upfront and didnt want to mess them about they said they were fine with that and if he wanted to start tomorrow and he gets the other job he can continue to work for them weekends and whenever, just wanted to let you all know theres still work out their

all the best to all looking and waiting to get here dont give up !

lesley x

Great news Lesley-Congrats to you both!

Don't forget to send me the stuff we pmed about.

Also, can you ask the other plumbing company to keep the job open till April 27th!!!":biglaugh:

Guest snow white

put it this way if steve has foot in the door means he can put a good word in for other uk plumbers will send the stuff before weekend sorry i havent done it before now was it the paperwork for course in tafe?

lesley

Guest ian & jo

Congrats. on the job, great news !!! gives us lot who are still back in u.k hope that if we stick at it it'll happen one day, hopefully sooner rather than later. jo x.

Guest snow white
Congrats. on the job, great news !!! gives us lot who are still back in u.k hope that if we stick at it it'll happen one day, hopefully sooner rather than later. jo x.

hi all.

just had phone call off my oh and hes been offered the gas liason officers job for brisbane and goldcoast also, this is the job he really wanted im so pleased for him and us of course, he starts next week just wanted to let you all know especially for those worrying about if theirs any work here for plumbers gasfitters, thank you all for your congrats and best wishes messages

lesley x

Just a note that I didnt put on earlier, to get a job it helps to "australianise" your cv, change i to a resume. A typical UK cv is only 2-3 pages max, aussies usually have 5 pages and this is the norm, you can download some templates from google. The format of theres is in a different order and includes sections that a typical uk one doesnt have. Have a look it may help

Good point Humpy, my oh just had her resume re-written proffesionally, cost 65 bucks, got to be worth it.

Guest snow white

when i downloaded an example of an australian cv it was barely 2 pages long used this and did steves cv myself, think it helps greatly if the company you are applying for a job for happens to be run by blokes from uk it makes a great deal of difference believe me, i know it shouldnt but i know it does!

lesley x

Hi

We live in Hervey Bay. Have emigrated over from Scotland 5 years ago.

When we came here you could not get a tradesman as they were all too busy. Now things have really slowed down.

We have several expat friends who have found things difficult. One guy who was a bricklayer in England is now a trades assistant for a Subcontractor of Ergon. Another guy who was a carpenter in England is finding getting work difficult. They have been here for around 2-3 years.

My hubby works for Ergon as a Live Linesman. Sometimes you will find they are looking for trades assistants or apprentices (Maryborough or Hervey Bay). They are a good employer and the wages are not too bad. Keep a look on Ergon's website. My husband started as a trades assistant until he got his QLD licence.

Where are you living in Hervey Bay? We live in Dundowran. If you would like to meet up with myself & my family that would be great.

Let me know.

Audrey

Uk Q's mean very little in Qld, Plumbing in Aus is very diffrent to the UK so they have every right not to regard UK Q's a the be all an d end all.

The standard of work in Aus is far better than the UK, dictacted by the regs.

My only moan is the lack of help and information available and the attitude "your hear now get on with it".

I wish they were as sticked in the Uk as they are in Aus as it would cut out the Cowboys

John

You are having a laugh a first year apprentice could do most of the work here after 6 months I,ve done all the plumbing here under and above ground and the things I,ve seen just beggers belief and I have high standards and was told many times your in oz now so get over it.

all the best from alles Plumbing and drainage foreman goldcoast

hi all.

just had phone call off my oh and hes been offered the gas liason officers job for brisbane and goldcoast also, this is the job he really wanted im so pleased for him and us of course, he starts next week just wanted to let you all know especially for those worrying about if theirs any work here for plumbers gasfitters, thank you all for your congrats and best wishes messages

lesley x

Hi Lesley,

Been offline a few days so a bit late, Congrats to your OH, seems like work is starting to pick up in a few areas now.

Guest snow white

hi martin,

thank you for your congrats, at least this jobs

salary and permanent so for that im very grateful just need to find something for me have set up my own relocation company and theres a few enquiries from expats interested in quotes, www.expatrelocations.com i really want to help as many people as possible to get a better start than we did . its ahrd enough coming here with your family then finding out about lots of red tape along the way

anyway dont forget to give me a shout if you need anything else

Archived