plumbers thread queensland

Guest snow white

Guest snow white

hi all, oh is a plumber has been qualified in uk for over ten years as plumber gasfitter, since arriving over a year ago hes only got his provisional, now looking into whats needed ie courses in queensland to gain back his full licenses, also looked into other states in australia i want to find out how much it differs, anyone on here been or going through same thing , this thread would also help others to understand certain trades and whats required in certain states to get your full uk license back and be able to earn a decent wage for your uk skills beforew they arrive

lesley x

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest snow white

either there are no plumbers from uk in queensland that have attempted to gain their full license back or your all using the provisional one and no one knows anything ?????

Guest jacqueline froggatt

Hi,

First time posted,just tend to read other posts.Hope this helps you.OH is plumbing & heating engineer from U.K. here in Brisbane.Your OH needs to do a course in Plumbing Licensing at TAFE Queensland,10 components to course,at a cost of $3430.80.These are done over 2 semesters & depends on whether he wants Gas license as well.Courses can be done at campus or online but found online really time consuming.Have a look at website for skillstech australia & this should give you all information.You need these qualifications if you want to go self-employed,that is on a supply & fix basis to consumers.Hope this makes sense, & doesn't sound too complicated.Good Luck.

Guest snow white
Hi,

First time posted,just tend to read other posts.Hope this helps you.OH is plumbing & heating engineer from U.K. here in Brisbane.Your OH needs to do a course in Plumbing Licensing at TAFE Queensland,10 components to course,at a cost of $3430.80.These are done over 2 semesters & depends on whether he wants Gas license as well.Courses can be done at campus or online but found online really time consuming.Have a look at website for skillstech australia & this should give you all information.You need these qualifications if you want to go self-employed,that is on a supply & fix basis to consumers.Hope this makes sense, & doesn't sound too complicated.Good Luck.

hi jaqueline,

ive been making calls and searching net for the last 2 days and i found out what you just told me 8 modules for plumbing and drainage extra 2 if doing gas and total cost over 12 weeks course 3,680.00 ,

been talking to a few people different states different rules unbelievable to think you have to go through all that cost and time to pass a course you did years ago in england, guess its queensland rules now. how did your oh find the course and how long did it take him did he do all ten modules can i ask did he gain his provisional gas license on arriving as well as plumbing as think you cant do gas course without having provisional gas license

lesleyx

Guest jacqueline froggatt

Hi Lesley,

Know just what you've been doing regarding phone calls & net.Found ourselves going round in circles.If you send me your landline no oh will be happy to speak to your oh about courses & try to explain in further detail.

Jackie

Guest snow white

thank you hon, hes just got his huffy principle head on at the moment as he thinks its a disgrace he has to pay and go through all this and uk quals should be good enough to get his full license hmmm so at the moment not worth explaining anything too until he resigns his stubborn geordie head to the fact hmmm id say about 3 hours time lol

will pm you jackie, as for the running around in circles cant believe how many departments and people and emails and faxes it took to get this info and the price wow

lesley xx

Guest xwaite

Hi i have enrolled on the course that starts in feb at the gold coast tafe it is 2 evenings a week and runs til about november time and cost me $4992.20

Guest snow white
Hi i have enrolled on the course that starts in feb at the gold coast tafe it is 2 evenings a week and runs til about november time and cost me $4992.20

how come its so much is this the 8 plumbers drainers modules or the ten inc gas and something else as well thats a huge difference the course my hubbies doing is feb too at gold coast tafe

lesley x

Guest madplumber1
Hi,

Hi Jackie, i'm comming over to Queensland in a few months, is there any chance i could jump on the band waggon and get the details of the course?

madplumber

Uk Q's mean very little in Qld, Plumbing in Aus is very diffrent to the UK so they have every right not to regard UK Q's a the be all an d end all.

The standard of work in Aus is far better than the UK, dictacted by the regs.

My only moan is the lack of help and information available and the attitude "your hear now get on with it".

I wish they were as sticked in the Uk as they are in Aus as it would cut out the Cowboys

John

Guest Christine&paul
Hi,

Hi Jacqueline. We are hoping to be over in Melbourne August time this year. OH is also a heating engineer here in the uk. Would you happen to know if the above info is also the same in Melbourne. Or would you be able point us in the right direction to obtain any info. Was your OH able to work straight away when you arrived in Brisbane? I don't think Paul wants to be self employed. Sorry so many questions! Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. Christine & Paul.

Guest xwaite
how come its so much is this the 8 plumbers drainers modules or the ten inc gas and something else as well thats a huge difference the course my hubbies doing is feb too at gold coast tafe

lesley x

It looks like 12 modules in total and i have been told you should be able to claim this back.

Guest snow white
Hi Jackie, i'm comming over to Queensland in a few months, is there any chance i could jump on the band waggon and get the details of the course?

madplumber

hi there, if you pm me your email address will forward all the application forms for courses and info for queensland plumbers drainers gas courses if thats what your after just recieved it all yesterday

lesley x

Guest snow white
Hi Jacqueline. We are hoping to be over in Melbourne August time this year. OH is also a heating engineer here in the uk. Would you happen to know if the above info is also the same in Melbourne. Or would you be able point us in the right direction to obtain any info. Was your OH able to work straight away when you arrived in Brisbane? I don't think Paul wants to be self employed. Sorry so many questions! Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. Christine & Paul.

christine, different licenses and regualtions state to state if you go to if you look here

www.pic.vic.gov.au then go to industry then licensing and registration hope this helps

lesley x

Guest snow white
It looks like 12 modules in total and i have been told you should be able to claim this back.

dont know about claiming it back will look into that with accountants maybe you can? the lsit ive just got shows 8 modules for plumbers drainers and the extra 2 you need if you want to get your gas license back

lesley x

hi,

my oh has been a plumber for 5 years with not all his quals, so is doing the uk city & guilds couse here which is costing us £4500, can this be used in oz as its reconised world wide.

Also do u just need these quals if you want to be self employed, can he just get a job as soon as we arrive in brisbane.

also something else that is a little worring is the treads saying there is no jobs in qlds at the momentfor alot of trades when plumbing is on the critical list?

regards

adele

Guest snow white
hi,

my oh has been a plumber for 5 years with not all his quals, so is doing the uk city & guilds couse here which is costing us £4500, can this be used in oz as its regonised world wide.

Also do u just need these quals if you want to be self employed, can he just get a job as soon as we arrive in brisbane.

alsom something else that is a little worring is the treads saying there is no jobs in qlds at the moment when they are on the critical list?

regards

adele

hi adele,

all he will get on arriving in oz is a provisional license he can still work under this but will need someone to sign off all the work he carries out, and if he wants his full license will have to gain 12 months experience in oz then apply after filling out necessary forms or do the 12 week courses pay the 3,678 required for plumbers drainers and gas license or just 2500 for plumbers drainers license only

lesley x

Guest snow white

week before xmas and couple weeks into new year it goes quiet as most businesses close down for hols, it will start picking up next week have you looked on careersone or seek.com it gives you an idea of how many plumbing jobs advertised at the moment

lesley x

i have looked on 4 of the top job sites and there is none apart from a few agency ads, but yes thinking about it just being xmas and all that you will be right, will check back next week,

thanks again for the info

Guest snow white
i have looked on 4 of the top job sites and there is none apart from a few agency ads, but yes thinking about it just being xmas and all that you will be right, will check back next week,

thanks again for the info

your welcome thats why we are all here to help each other

ask away if i can help i will

lesley x

Guest Christine&paul
christine, different licenses and regualtions state to state if you go to if you look here

www.pic.vic.gov.au then go to industry then licensing and registration hope this helps

lesley x

Hi & thanks snow white, will give that a go.

Cheers

Christine

Guest snow white

found out quite a bit on licensing for plumbing and gasfitting in queensland if anyone needs any info please pm me glad to help any fellow plumbers coming over or already here please add to post also so it keeps it going for others out there and to help as many tradies as poss the more info the better

lesley

Guest snow white

after being here 16 months ive found out that oh can now have his full gas license in qeensland, i dont understand why they couldnt give him it when we arrived but there you go takes a woman to get to the bottom of everything and get it sorted fingers crossed short 3 hour seminar next week and full license for a year yippee

lesley x

Archived