plumbers thread queensland

Guest snow white

Guest snow white
after being here 16 months ive found out that oh can now have his full gas license in qeensland, i dont understand why they couldnt give him it when we arrived but there you go takes a woman to get to the bottom of everything and get it sorted fingers crossed short 3 hour seminar next week and full license for a year yippee

lesley x

anyone on here sitting the plumbers drainers course to qualify for full plumbing license at tafe it starts in feb??

lesley x

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest snow white
I think i said that is when my course starts, be interesting to find out about any others Lesley.

hi there,

are you doing all 8 modules for plumber drainer?? ive noticed after doing spreadsheet of courses times that courses 5 and 7 are same night same time ??? different instructor

have emailed and asked if there is a different date or if they have made a mistake how can you then complete all 8

lesley x

Guest snow white
I arrived on Gold coast last week, I'm just starting to look for some work, been sorting house, schools out etc, settling in Mudgeeraba. I trained and worked with British Gas back home, my qualifications are all gas, NVQ 3, plus unvented, Work for gasfitters in Oz is scarce according to my research and speaking to friends who work in construction over here already. I was gonna look into taking my plumbing quals over here, is that the same course your on about, I have done plumbing in uk but with no papers. I'm also considering totally retraining and doing something different, I used to be a warehouse supervisor and worked in office/sales before I got adult apprenticship at BG so have another skills to fall back on.

hi humpy,

your not that far from us were in pacific pines on gold coast, so you have no plumbing quals only your gas is it just ng quals or lpg also??

im sure as long as you have your nvq 3 mechanical engineering you can sit your plumbing course here at tafe course starts in feb lasts 12 weeks eevenings couple hrs per week over 2,000 8 modules in all for plumber drainer

you can then gain your full plumbing license, but you must have held your provisional and have 12 months experience working in oz also

best thing to do is to email plumbing board to double check im no official expert im a frustrated geordie wife whos husband is a plumber gasfitter from uk and has had the right runaround since arriving and decided enough is enough so found out as much as i could from everywhere i could wouldnt want anyone going through what we have had too

all the best lesley x

Guest snow white
My NVQ is in natural gas services, I'm looking round but appreciate that I may have to retrain as something else, I can get some casual work with a mate until something better comes up and my wife has a job here which she starts soon so at least money is coming in. Loving it here, even though its only been a week, house hunting was awful but we got one yesterday. I'm a postive person so believe that the right job is out there, just got to find it !!!

good for you look if you need any help just ask if i dont know it i know a few people now who can help me find it out lol

all the best

lesley x

Guest kjaj7775

Snow white you're a star, I have read this thread thouroughly and I am just going to check out all the links you have given. If ok with you can I come back to you if I have any further questions??? I did note you asked someone about lpg....is there work available for nat & lpg???? my hubby is qualified in both plus oftec, basically he is a plumber/gas fitter (natural/lpg/oil) electrician (part p/16th edition) but considering 17th edition if it would better his chances in oz.

Thankyou so much for bringing me to this thread

Guest snow white
Snow white you're a star, I have read this thread thouroughly and I am just going to check out all the links you have given. If ok with you can I come back to you if I have any further questions??? I did note you asked someone about lpg....is there work available for nat & lpg???? my hubby is qualified in both plus oftec, basically he is a plumber/gas fitter (natural/lpg/oil) electrician (part p/16th edition) but considering 17th edition if it would better his chances in oz.

Thankyou so much for bringing me to this thread

hi kerry,

your welcome i know exactly what your going through, we still are . ended up having to find out what was what with gas and plumbing licenses wish someone had of done this for me before we got here but as long as im helping others thtas great

all the best for your plans keep me informed

lesley x

Guest Lauren&Murat

Hi

My OH is a qualified plumber too. Were wanting to move to Brisbane/Gold coast area, not decided yet. Just about to apply to Vetassess with evidence. Im trying to find out costs and time frames for gaining a full Plumbers licence. It seems so long winded to gain a licence! As I understand it once you have successfull completed the Vetassess practical and they award you with the OTRS you are able to apply to the Plumbers and Drainers Board in Queensland for a provisional licence. Is that right? Do you have to attend the TAFE course to gain the Full Plumbing licence or do you just have to do 12 months work expereince? And then after that is that it, you've gained your full plumbers licence?

Does anyone know of a step by step guide to gaining your licence right from Vetassess to holding a full licence, would really help me out. I keep shocking my OH with more costs and time that Im discovering!

Sorry for rambling but am so confused and trying to understand why it costs the earth to move and work in Oz if his trade is so in demand!? Can anyone shed some light....?

Thanks

Lauren

Guest snow white
Hi

My OH is a qualified plumber too. Were wanting to move to Brisbane/Gold coast area, not decided yet. Just about to apply to Vetassess with evidence. Im trying to find out costs and time frames for gaining a full Plumbers licence. It seems so long winded to gain a licence! As I understand it once you have successfull completed the Vetassess practical and they award you with the OTRS you are able to apply to the Plumbers and Drainers Board in Queensland for a provisional licence. Is that right? Do you have to attend the TAFE course to gain the Full Plumbing licence or do you just have to do 12 months work expereince? And then after that is that it, you've gained your full plumbers licence?

Does anyone know of a step by step guide to gaining your licence right from Vetassess to holding a full licence, would really help me out. I keep shocking my OH with more costs and time that Im discovering!

Sorry for rambling but am so confused and trying to understand why it costs the earth to move and work in Oz if his trade is so in demand!? Can anyone shed some light....?

Thanks

Lauren

hi lauren as ive said on here before on arrival you can only have provisional if the qualifications you hold in the uk show you a qualified plumber with all your nvqs, after you have gained 12 months experience in qld you then sit evening course over 12 weeks period covering 8 modules for plu,ber drainer or 5 for just plumbing license

then if passed can gain your full licenses at a cost of between $2,500 to $3000

hope this helps you

lesley x

Hi Lesley, i haven't had 12 months experience in qld but am still on the course so i'm not sure that this part is needed. This is why it's confusing for people because there doesn't seem to be one definate answer, i can confirm the rest if it makes a difference though Lauren.

Guest snow white
Hi Lesley, i haven't had 12 months experience in qld but am still on the course so i'm not sure that this part is needed. This is why it's confusing for people because there doesn't seem to be one definate answer, i can confirm the rest if it makes a difference though Lauren.

will double check this lauren, but when i spoke to them they told me 12 months exp on its own would not be enough you need 12 months and the course to gain full license, will speak t someone today and double check

thanks

lesley

Guest Lauren&Murat

Thanks very much for all your info. I've contacted somebody from SkillsTech Australia and this is the info they gave:

"Course Name: 39206QLD Course in Plumbing Licensing must be completed to gain an open Plumbing and Drainers License.

Current course structure takes approximately 12months to complete attending 3nights per week @ 3hrs per night alternatively online there are 4units available. Completion is dependent on the time each student has available but the format suits a twelve month delivery of all units.

Current cost to complete the 10 competencies including two gas competencies is $3,678.00. Require text AS3500, and one for business plus drawing equipment for design. Approx cost $200-$300.00"

They also sent me a breakdown of the cost for each competancy. I've tried to attach it but its not letting me. If you want to see it PM and I'll email it to you.

So is there also a 12 week course that costs around the same as the 12 month course?

Also I thought that once Vetassess awarded you the certificate upon successfully completion of the practical that gave you eligibility for the provisional licence....

Thanks again.

Guest snow white
Thanks very much for all your info. I've contacted somebody from SkillsTech Australia and this is the info they gave:

"Course Name: 39206QLD Course in Plumbing Licensing must be completed to gain an open Plumbing and Drainers License.

Current course structure takes approximately 12months to complete attending 3nights per week @ 3hrs per night alternatively online there are 4units available. Completion is dependent on the time each student has available but the format suits a twelve month delivery of all units.

Current cost to complete the 10 competencies including two gas competencies is $3,678.00. Require text AS3500, and one for business plus drawing equipment for design. Approx cost $200-$300.00"

They also sent me a breakdown of the cost for each competancy. I've tried to attach it but its not letting me. If you want to see it PM and I'll email it to you.

So is there also a 12 week course that costs around the same as the 12 month course?

Also I thought that once Vetassess awarded you the certificate upon successfully completion of the practical that gave you eligibility for the provisional licence....

Thanks again.

hi there,

yes this is the same course ive mentioned earlier, if you only want the plumbing license you only need to sit 5 of the modules if you want the drainer part you need to sit all 8 modules . ive also been told the online course is hard work and your better off going in. already have all the course dates etc thanks . my oh got his vetasses assesment under gasfitting not plumbing but got his full provisional on arrival for plumbing because of his quals from england , he couldnt get his provisional gas because he had not added lpg from uk and qld goldcoast you need to have lpg, things you find out after you get here dont understand why he couldnt get provisional gas for the natural gas side of his license i have emailed someone i am in touch with at gas and plumbing license boards to get the full picture on what gives you waht on arrival think it will help all, are you doing the plumbing course then?

lesley x

Hello to everyone, just thought I would put my tuppence worth in as well. I moved over in Nov 2006, as a plumber and gas fitter. In the UK I did natural and lpg gas work, upon arrival I went to the dept of mines and energy, brisbane, met a chap by the name of ray watts, after an hours chat I walked out with a full gas licence! The plumbers and drainers board not so good, have a provisional licence, I have done some of the modules, still need to do the hot/cold module (this involves the design of the hot/cold services, fire service, stack work, drainage and stormwater for a minimum 6 storey building, showing all hydraulic calculations). Over the top but then again 3 out of the 4 bods that write the exam are hydraulic engineers (of course I might be just a cynical old git) and its what they want. Skills tech I have found to be pretty useless, ie in my first year I was put on the wrong course so that was 12 months wasted. I have worked as a plumber, drainer and gas fitter since arrival and the standard of work is better than the uk but nothing a good english plumber could not cope with. The best thing to do is to photograph all your work and establish a good relationship with the local inspectors, mostly alright blokes, just the odd little hitler around. When you have obtained your full licences you then need to obtain a QBSA licence (queensland building services authority). This involves a two day management course plus fees. If you want to trade under a name other than your own, ie brisbane plumbing, you need to register the name, another certificate and more fees. I have got qbsa licence for my gas work, it does feel good when you finally get it and soon hope to have the same for the plumbers/drainers as well.

I do like the work, its different from the uk and the lifestyle is good. We live outside Bundaberg, a place called burnett heads, just opposite the beach, 4 months a year we have the turtles nesting/hatching, temperature is great, the most temperate part of australia, 18/25 winter, 23/30 in summer. I am still very busy with work, I find the aussie tradesman are a bit like some of the uk fellas, ie do not turn up on time, so as long as you are polite, know your stuff and go when you said you would it will be all good. Must go now as tea is ready. (ps i do miss proper fish and chips)

Guest Richard & Andrea

Can anyone give me an idea on rates of pay plumber on arrival and after you get your license . Hoping to head to central coast, We were there for 5 weeks last year and fell in love with terrigal

Guest snow white
Hello to everyone, just thought I would put my tuppence worth in as well. I moved over in Nov 2006, as a plumber and gas fitter. In the UK I did natural and lpg gas work, upon arrival I went to the dept of mines and energy, brisbane, met a chap by the name of ray watts, after an hours chat I walked out with a full gas licence! The plumbers and drainers board not so good, have a provisional licence, I have done some of the modules, still need to do the hot/cold module (this involves the design of the hot/cold services, fire service, stack work, drainage and stormwater for a minimum 6 storey building, showing all hydraulic calculations). Over the top but then again 3 out of the 4 bods that write the exam are hydraulic engineers (of course I might be just a cynical old git) and its what they want. Skills tech I have found to be pretty useless, ie in my first year I was put on the wrong course so that was 12 months wasted. I have worked as a plumber, drainer and gas fitter since arrival and the standard of work is better than the uk but nothing a good english plumber could not cope with. The best thing to do is to photograph all your work and establish a good relationship with the local inspectors, mostly alright blokes, just the odd little hitler around. When you have obtained your full licences you then need to obtain a QBSA licence (queensland building services authority). This involves a two day management course plus fees. If you want to trade under a name other than your own, ie brisbane plumbing, you need to register the name, another certificate and more fees. I have got qbsa licence for my gas work, it does feel good when you finally get it and soon hope to have the same for the plumbers/drainers as well.

I do like the work, its different from the uk and the lifestyle is good. We live outside Bundaberg, a place called burnett heads, just opposite the beach, 4 months a year we have the turtles nesting/hatching, temperature is great, the most temperate part of australia, 18/25 winter, 23/30 in summer. I am still very busy with work, I find the aussie tradesman are a bit like some of the uk fellas, ie do not turn up on time, so as long as you are polite, know your stuff and go when you said you would it will be all good. Must go now as tea is ready. (ps i do miss proper fish and chips)

cheers mate good post we arrived aug 2007 met the same bloke ray watts after a chat hubbiewalked out with nothing now i dont know if it was cause at the time he didnt have lpg on his corgi gas cards i believe so but couldnt even have provisinal gas now a year later lpg on license he has full unrestricted ng and lpg in qld, still under provisional plumbers but yes goignt o pay for him to do evening course for full license hes only interested in doing the 5 plumbing modules dont think he wants to do draining trying to work out wether this will hinder himas far as work is concerned any info appreciated

lesley x

cheers mate good post we arrived aug 2007 met the same bloke ray watts after a chat hubbiewalked out with nothing now i dont know if it was cause at the time he didnt have lpg on his corgi gas cards i believe so but couldnt even have provisinal gas now a year later lpg on license he has full unrestricted ng and lpg in qld, still under provisional plumbers but yes goignt o pay for him to do evening course for full license hes only interested in doing the 5 plumbing modules dont think he wants to do draining trying to work out wether this will hinder himas far as work is concerned any info appreciated

lesley x

I work for three different plumbers and they all do drainage work as do most of the other plumbers in town, so I would definately do the drainage part as well as I am sure it would be better when job hunting.It also helps you keep fit as it involves a bit of shovel work! Maybe I got the gas licence because I did the lpg in the uk (down in deepest devon, where half my customers were on lpg and well water) or perhaps the rules changed. A company called "gas compnents" is a good place to buy all your gas fittings, very helpful staff. Its a shame that the qld plumber/drainers board do not run a course especially for overseas plumbers to teach the different skills, its a struggle but I know the work is out there.

Guest snow white
I work for three different plumbers and they all do drainage work as do most of the other plumbers in town, so I would definately do the drainage part as well as I am sure it would be better when job hunting.It also helps you keep fit as it involves a bit of shovel work! Maybe I got the gas licence because I did the lpg in the uk (down in deepest devon, where half my customers were on lpg and well water) or perhaps the rules changed. A company called "gas compnents" is a good place to buy all your gas fittings, very helpful staff. Its a shame that the qld plumber/drainers board do not run a course especially for overseas plumbers to teach the different skills, its a struggle but I know the work is out there.

out of interest much differenc in your pay with gas quals looking into the hourly rate at the minute plumbing paying $30 per hour on provisional thats sub contracting wondered what can expect from gas work on gold coast or brisbane

still think it aint what you know here its who you know just need a start

lesley x

out of interest much differenc in your pay with gas quals looking into the hourly rate at the minute plumbing paying $30 per hour on provisional thats sub contracting wondered what can expect from gas work on gold coast or brisbane

still think it aint what you know here its who you know just need a start

lesley x

The pay varies from 30 to 38.50 an hour. The blokes I work for book me out for around 75 an hour, alot of the time I am working on my own but officially I think I should be supervised as only have plumbing provisional. My own gas work I get around 75/85 per hour. Most of the bigger companies in Bundy only pay 20-25 per hour, plumbing or gas. I sub myself out to owner operators who will pay more for a good worker. Like you say, its a mix of being in the right place right time and a bit of who you know. When we moved over we knew no-one here in bundy (both families all still in uk) but now its nice to walk in town and bump into friends, it takes time but is good when it happens.

Guest snow white
Ray Watt was the guy I met too, he told me that there was work for a gasfitter in Oz, you just have to know where to look, he gave me some contacts to try. I kept getting told there was no gas work in Brisbane/Gold Coast but he said there is so I have a bit of faith now, Ive got a job interview next week so will see how that goes

is your interview with the people on the list ray gave you gave steve a list also sent cvs off to them and have a couple he ahs to ring but that was only on thursday no look yet

lesley x

Guest snow white
The pay varies from 30 to 38.50 an hour. The blokes I work for book me out for around 75 an hour, alot of the time I am working on my own but officially I think I should be supervised as only have plumbing provisional. My own gas work I get around 75/85 per hour. Most of the bigger companies in Bundy only pay 20-25 per hour, plumbing or gas. I sub myself out to owner operators who will pay more for a good worker. Like you say, its a mix of being in the right place right time and a bit of who you know. When we moved over we knew no-one here in bundy (both families all still in uk) but now its nice to walk in town and bump into friends, it takes time but is good when it happens.

steve looking for work on goldcoast brisbane, at the moment on 30 sub contracting for plumbing same thing works on his own on provisional then they check sign it off, if he can get gas work for 70 or more wouold be good just dont know where hes going to find it will keep sending cvs hes on about working away just to get something only needs a foot in the dor hes a good worker

its funny aint it how much things can change if someone just gives you the chance

lesley x

Guest snow white
Ray Watt was the guy I met too, he told me that there was work for a gasfitter in Oz, you just have to know where to look, he gave me some contacts to try. I kept getting told there was no gas work in Brisbane/Gold Coast but he said there is so I have a bit of faith now, Ive got a job interview next week so will see how that goes

hi good luck with your interview just wanted to let you know steve got an interview for gas company tomorrow in brisbane so fingers crossed for you him and any others out there still looking for work , keep trying

lesley x

Guest Lauren&Murat

Hi

Just wanted to let you know more info I've found out. I'm sure it will be conflicting with others info!

My question to TAFE college:

Just one more thing (I promise!). I am I right in thinking that I would not neccessarily need to complete all 10 competancies? Would the college assess my work experience etc and advise how many and which competancies to complete?

TAFE Response:

Yes, when you are ready to enrol also speak with the teachers and enquire about recognition of prior learning (RPL). Collect as many documents as you can from previous studies and/or employers in relation to the subjects you want recognition of competencies. Every student’s case is unique and you need to speak with the teachers before assessment to determine whether you are eligible under the RPL process

Thanks

Guest ian & jo

Hi Lesley, just been reading your threads on gas fitters / plumbers. My oh's a corgi reg. gas fitter/plumber & we're hoping to move out to Brisbane later this year. All the info has been so helpful just want to say thanks & I hope I can come to you for anymore help / advice. Have you heard anything from the interview yet hope you get good news.

Thanks again. Your a life saver. Jo x.

Archived