How easy is it for kids to settle

Guest Mike&Fiona

Guest Mike&Fiona

Getting closer to our big move to Melbourne but at the back of my mind are my 2 girls (11 & 9). How easy will it be for them to settle in to a new school? They are so happy with their school at the moment and have really good friends and I feel so guilty in taking them away from this. They are both really quiet girls so not sure how easy or hard it will be on them. Eldest will start grade 6 when we get to Melbourne in Feb/Mar and then obviously off to high school a year later. Where we live at the moment everyone from the primary school goes to the same secondary school but as Melbourne is such a large place I have a feeling that friends made in primary school will not necessarily all go to the same secondary school.

Just getting the wobbles a bit about moving so just had to share my thoughts with everyone. Any info on schools in east melbourne very much appreciated as I really don't know where to start.

Thanks all :confusedxmas:

Children do settle having been a child migrant I know what it is like however your children do have each other, when we first migrated I was an only child which made it harder. Also my parents moved all over the world so I got kind of used to going to new schools.

I think its best to wait till you know where you want to live and then look at the schooling around. You are right about students going off to other schools however a good proportion from a primary school will head off to the local high school.

Others will give you advice about schools but what suits one will not suit another and really its down to your children and where they feel comfortable. If they are not comfortable in the school you select then move them to another one.

Good luck Melbourne is a nice place to live.

Most kids dont have too many problems emigrating. My 2 boys where 9 & 12 when we emigrated, and the eldest did not want to come by the time we stepped on the plane.

18 months down the road, he regards Oz as home. He does want to go back to Europe when he is old enough, but even that will probably change as he gets older.

Both of the boys have made plenty of friends, joined clubs (footy/cubs/scouts/basketball etc etc) and have full agendas.

They need a little time in the beginning to settle and make a few friends, and the first few weeks of looking agt cars/houses/going to local Govt offices for paperwork etc can get them a bit frustrated, but once you have time to do more of the fun stuff, and have time for them, they come around very quickly.

Good luck with the move. Ours still seems like it was yesterday, the time has gone so quickly.

We had the benefit of knowing where we were going to live, so the principle of the school organised a pen pal for my eldest who was then 11. When she started year 7 (primary) on the first day, she'd been chatting to people. My son who was 7 settled really well.

You're right about high school - my daughter before we left England had started High School in the September - most of the children in her class went to the same school - here when she moved to High School, it wasn't as many. Her 'new friends' actually all went to a differnt school than she did.

She's almost 14, and says she'd like to visit England again 'one day' to re-visit where she came from, but regards this as home. My son (9), according to my neigbours is a reincarnated aussie - he fits in so well.

One thing that worked for us was to help the children to keep in contact with old friends in those early stages - msn, emails, postcards etc... My daughter is still in touch with old friends and we've been here 2 years.

I do remember breathing a sigh of relief when I know that the kids were settled and 'ok', I realised that moving to the other side of the world wasn't their choice, I guess the majority of kids will just get on with it and afterwards we wonder why we were so worried.

Ali x

Guest snow white

hi mike and fiona, we moved to oz 16 months ago with 6 kids 18, 13, 11, 7, 5 and 3 my biggest worry was the chidren settling and leaving their friends and family behind, believe me kids settle quickly, they all made friends really quickly and have all settled at school really well. we emailed the school befrore we arrived and researched it on the web showed the children all the info so they had some idea before they came here, im sure your children will be fine too

all the best for your move

lesley x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

Our children settled in to their new life a lot quicker than us, children always do. The first few months is very stressful for all the family, it is the time when you are looking for rentals, schools, getting your drivers license, bank accounts, TFN, and lots more. It is also the period where you miss friends and family who normally you would be able to lean on and ask for help at such a chaotic time. Once your here and have settled I would recommend a holiday just a few weeks to spend with the kids and destress before they start school.

You have asked about schools in the East of Melbourne, which area of East Melbourne are you interested in, there are so many suburbs.

Once you have chosen a school and the children start, I would recommend inviting their friends over for dinner, this is a quick way for both your children to get friends but also for you to form a close friendship with the childs parents.

Good luck with the move

Kate

Guest snow white

lol hi if i had a $1 for everytime i heard that one i could retire hmm my answer to that is actually we have one in every room and we have my star, cheeky lol

lesley x

Guest donovan

Hiya we moved here Aug 07 to the Gold Coast with our 3 boys, age 12, 9 & 3 at the time, kids have settled really well in to their new lives, and have made plenty of friends, Plenty for them to do great beaches, all of which cost nothing and almost guaranteed weather.

Hope this helps

Sarah x

Archived