WHy do you want to go back to UK?

Guest petmarchehol

Guest 0405delboy

Hey,

3 months isnt really long but when you know...you know...you know???

I think the novelty wears off. After you've settled in, bought the cars, filled the house with furniture, gadgets and trinkets. Once you've learnt the way around and seen the sights and tasted the local food, found a job - well. This is your life! What still amazes me is that I can wander around my neighbourhood all day and not see another living soul. I know it sound soft but it proves that people need to be around other people to feel connected.

I dont know what others think but this subject comes up a lot. :dullxmas:

Guest taffy 62

I agree.

I think some people see it as a big adventure which is exciting, especially if they feel they were in a bit of a rut or bored before.

Then when everything has settled down they get chance to think WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Also once all the rush rush of settling in is done they start to miss the familiarity of home.

One way to overcome this is too keep busy and push thoughts of home away. but thats easier said than done.

And some people just want the thoughts and want to remember their old life style and from what I have experienced the majority of these people go back to what their used to and familiar with.

I have experience this with an interstate move, I have also got over servere homesickness for the UK in my early days of living in OZ, but I know now from experience you can get over these feelings even though its hard, but it all depends on how strongly you feel about them.

Guest earlswood

After the initial (holiday) period wears off I found going to the beach and that type of thing boring , its like people who live on the coast in England that never ever go to the beach and beautiful surroundings just become blasé after a few months…when it is really hot for a few weeks it just does your head in and everyone prays for colder weather…some people do appreciate the UK a bit more after a couple of years in Oz.

Yup the familiarity breeding contempt thing. Also, you dont know what you've got until its gone. I lived in Cambridge and never really appreciated the history until I wasnt there any more - also lived in London where there is oh so much I could have done but didnt.

Canberra now - lovely place but booooring because it is familiar and, unfortunately, like the rest of Australia far too far away from the things that I thought I would be doing in my retirement.

At 3 months you probably do need to hang in a bit longer but you are probably going to feel the same in 2 years or 20 years except by 20 you will be beyond the point of no return and stuck here for the rest of your days (ghastly thought!) so enjoy the short term but plan for the long term and dont let yourself get stuck here.

Guest JoanneHattersley

I actually looked at it the other way and compared my life.

UK:

- ok job

- reasonable wages

- no quality time with OH

- poor weather

- no lifestyle as always working

AUSTRALIA:

- job better

- wages same

- 300% more time with OH

- weather gd

- perfect lifestyle

Guest earlswood
I actually looked at it the other way and compared my life.

UK:

- ok job

- reasonable wages

- no quality time with OH

- poor weather

- no lifestyle as always working

AUSTRALIA:

- job better

- wages same

- 300% more time with OH

- weather gd

- perfect lifestyle

Naughty naughty Johhatts....you know what would happen to me if I jumped into a positive thread praising Oz…. .this is the “going home to the UK” forum.:yes::yesxmas:

UK:

- Ok job

- reasonable wages

- Quality & more time with OH

- Love Summer

- Better lifestyle as I can afford it

- Crap Pies

AUSTRALIA:

- Hated Job

- wages 3 x less

- Less time with OH

- Great Winter

- No lifestyle as always working or could afford little

- Nice Pies

But do try to give it longer our you'll forget what you disliked and may feel the need to Pingpong.

It's a short life do what ever you need to make you happy.

Good Luck

John

Yup the familiarity breeding contempt thing. Also, you dont know what you've got until its gone. I lived in Cambridge and never really appreciated the history until I wasnt there any more - also lived in London where there is oh so much I could have done but didnt.

I think in the end life is what you make of it. For the first couple of years living anywhere you tend to go out more and explore your environment and make the most of it, then it's easy to fall into a rut. In Brisbane I felt trapped at times, we seemed to have exhausted visiting the places we wanted to and there seemed so much less to do than is available in the UK.

But the same thing happened when we came back. For awhile we took the kids to castles and National Trust houses and museums . We even did a couple of trips to France. But the novelty soon wore off and actually we do very little. All the things that seemed so important when they were inaccessible mean very little to us now.

In the end it is the things you enjoy doing on a regular basis that matter and the people you do them with. We found we did much more in Australia, camping and bushwalking etc than we do here, and with a wider range of friends. Hence why we are going back if we can.

It's not what is available that really matters, it's what use YOU make of it. It's easy to lose sight of that when you can't get at something.

Deb:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest jim & nik

I'm not a 100% positive i want to go and will like it, BUT

You'll never never know if you never never go,

Our family have set 4 years minimuim like it or lump it life is what you make it. If its only 4 years then we can say we tried, and i think we will be paying for it if we stay here ( in the long run).

Still in early stages but of visa taking it all in as we go.

Guest WishIdneverleft

Hi petmarchehol

i have been in Oz 15 years and regret moving here.

However, it is too soon to make a judgment on the place after three months.

Put off making a decision until you have done a year here and treat the rest of your time here like a working holiday and a bit of adventure.

Christmas is always a bloody awful time to be in a new country but remember how cr*p January in in UK!

Cheers

T

Guest earlswood
Hi petmarchehol

i have been in Oz 15 years and regret moving here.

However, it is too soon to make a judgment on the place after three months.

Put off making a decision until you have done a year here and treat the rest of your time here like a working holiday and a bit of adventure.

Christmas is always a bloody awful time to be in a new country but remember how cr*p January in in UK!

Cheers

T

Good post.

After the initial (holiday) period wears off I found going to the beach and that type of thing boring , its like people who live on the coast in England that never ever go to the beach and beautiful surroundings just become blasé after a few months…when it is really hot for a few weeks it just does your head in and everyone prays for colder weather…some people do appreciate the UK a bit more after a couple of years in Oz.

I really do think that the weather in OZ is too predictable for some. It does have an advantage for forward planning barbi's etc... but day to day living can be extremely boring. Someone further up the thread mentioned not seeing many people around and once again this could be down to the weather being either too wet or too hot.

Guest treesea

Maybe it's where you live in Australia? I know Gosford and the surrounding areas are nice, but to me, Gosford is the kind of place that, if you don't have a yacht and actually live on the water/harbour, could be pretty boring. What about trying out Sydney instead? Australian cities and towns are not the same as each other.

I came back to the UK because time was getting on, my children were still young at the time, and I knew if I left it, say, another five years, I never would. Also, I prefer cold weather to hot weather. It took us a while after we came back though, to find a place to live. Once you are used to a big city, with all the conveniences, as we were having lived in Sydney and Melbourne for many years, it takes a while to learn to live without all that. London, my home town, was out of the question. I was too used to living in the first world to put up with the third world living conditions that London suffers from nowadays. Air pollution so bad you can actually see it. The trains were so crowded, even at 3pm. And everything seemed so dilapidated. We then stayed in Cambridge and Manchester for a few months, before finally settling on Edinburgh. I got sick of the travelling in Melbourne. Here, we are ten minutes drive from everywhere, even from the local ski slopes and the airport.

My advice would be to stick it out until you have got your citizenship and until the recession in the UK is over. The number of companies going under over here at the moment is mind boggling. The Officers Club, Whittards and Zavvi are now all in administration, and that's just in the last 48 hours. Then there's Woolworths and MFI, both of which went bust in the last couple of weeks. JJB Sports chain is in trouble. Monsoon and Next reckon they are "barely holding on". If you have a job in Australia, it may be a good idea to stick it out and wait a bit.

I moved from London to Melbourne in late 2005, when I was 13.

I just feel like there's passion missing here. So many people here guard their emotions so closely, and I don't understand why. Adults seem to do nothing but work, and few people know how to truly celebrate something (like Christmas, for example).

I also can't stand hot weather, and miss Britain's unique beauty. I miss all of the people. I can't believe how you can walk around a suburb here and not see a soul! I miss the history of the place, too.

I'm going back on my gap year, and hope to move back later! I'll miss my family, though.

Guest earlswood
I moved from London to Melbourne in late 2005, when I was 13.

I just feel like there's passion missing here. So many people here guard their emotions so closely, and I don't understand why. Adults seem to do nothing but work, and few people know how to truly celebrate something (like Christmas, for example).

I also can't stand hot weather, and miss Britain's unique beauty. I miss all of the people. I can't believe how you can walk around a suburb here and not see a soul! I miss the history of the place, too.

I'm going back on my gap year, and hope to move back later! I'll miss my family, though.

it is a work culture over their 100% and they think we Brits are lazy because we want a WHOLE weekend off.....:dullxmas:I was expected to work Saturday mornings because it it just seen as part of the working week, with no overtime rates.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nikkichap

Hi, the reasons that we are returning to the UK are very simple.

We lived a simple life in the UK and ticked along quite nicely. We didn't come to OZ for an adventure, we came for a better life.

But after 4 months nothing about our life is better. I used to like walking/cycling to school with the kids, now I have to drive. I used to walk to the local shops for a paper/bread/milk, now I have to drive. We used to spend a lot of time in doors due to the rain/cold, we spend alot of time in doors due to heat/rain. I used to see life going on outside my front door, here it is like a ghost town. I used to chat to the other mums at the school, here they don't seem to want to know. I used to enjoy food shopping, here i dread it due to the lack of choice, same with clothes shopping. It is the day to day living that I can't stand. Yes we have nice days out, but we did in the UK!!

So as you can see, the simple things in life make me happy.

Nikki

can people say why they are going home as i have been here 3 months and feel like i want to go home

Things I miss and my reasons for going home

Friends and Family

A good old english pub with a nice roast dinner

proximity to Europe

Old Buildings

Rain - unbelievable but true!

The Tube and Londons public transport - living in Melbourne has made me appreciate that the system in the UK is actually pretty good

Match of the day

A sense of belonging

BBC - the constant adverts on TV really get me down.

Green green grass............

Guest earlswood
Things I miss and my reasons for going home

Friends and Family

A good old english pub with a nice roast dinner

proximity to Europe

Old Buildings

Rain - unbelievable but true!

The Tube and Londons public transport - living in Melbourne has made me appreciate that the system in the UK is actually pretty good

Match of the day

A sense of belonging

BBC - the constant adverts on TV really get me down.

Green green grass............

Agree with all.

We lived a simple life in the UK and ticked along quite nicely. We didn't come to OZ for an adventure, we came for a better life.

But after 4 months nothing about our life is better. I used to like walking/cycling to school with the kids, now I have to drive. I used to walk to the local shops for a paper/bread/milk, now I have to drive. We used to spend a lot of time in doors due to the rain/cold, we spend alot of time in doors due to heat/rain. I used to see life going on outside my front door, here it is like a ghost town. I used to chat to the other mums at the school, here they don't seem to want to know. I used to enjoy food shopping, here i dread it due to the lack of choice, same with clothes shopping. It is the day to day living that I can't stand. Yes we have nice days out, but we did in the UK!!

Nikki

Hi Nikki....I agree with all you say...We lived in the suburbs of Adelaide and when people left for work in the morning it was like something out of Stepford wives! Only saw the postman, and HE was on a scooter. Needed a car for everything and the only place to see people was the Malls or the city.

The weather there this week is in the 40's and even my Ma in Law and sis in law out there (Born n bred aussies) say its too bloody stinkin hot, and they envy our cold weather. My Aussie husband LOVES the cold weather here in the UK..he works outside in it! He always says its easier to get warm than to keep cool. Says he's had enough of endless blue skies and predictable weather for months on end.I like to live with my curtains/blinds open and let the sunshine in! Not keep things closed to try and keep the heat out!

Nikki

I know exactly how u feel about the food shopping, we live in Mackay too and hate the choice, my wife is not impressed with the clothing shopping and she feels like nobody wants to talk at the school either (Glenella State)...:unsure:

Ste

Guest nikkichap
Hi Nikki....I agree with all you say...We lived in the suburbs of Adelaide and when people left for work in the morning it was like something out of Stepford wives! Only saw the postman, and HE was on a scooter. Needed a car for everything and the only place to see people was the Malls or the city.

The weather there this week is in the 40's and even my Ma in Law and sis in law out there (Born n bred aussies) say its too bloody stinkin hot, and they envy our cold weather. My Aussie husband LOVES the cold weather here in the UK..he works outside in it! He always says its easier to get warm than to keep cool. Says he's had enough of endless blue skies and predictable weather for months on end.I like to live with my curtains/blinds open and let the sunshine in! Not keep things closed to try and keep the heat out!

How long were you in Australia for? We have only been here for nearly 4 months. Family in the UK tell us to give it more time or try and move to a different area. We can't move and I don't want to move (apart from back to the UK). It would mean moving the kids again and getting them to settle into a new school. It's not fair on them. But from reading other posts its not all down to where we live it seems to be a similar story all across Australia. Now the kids are back at school I only have myself for company! Hubby's employer announced yesterday that they are going to have to lay people off. We are on a sponsored visa so not sure where we stand but if he is made redundant it means that we will probably return to the UK sooner.:smile:

Guest nikkichap
I know exactly how u feel about the food shopping, we live in Mackay too and hate the choice, my wife is not impressed with the clothing shopping and she feels like nobody wants to talk at the school either (Glenella State)...:unsure:

Ste

Hi Ste,

I don't often hear from people that live in Mackay. It makes me feel like there is something wrong with me at the school although I always try and put a happy face on. I hear that it can take a year to find friends etc! In the UK I always spoke to the other mums at the school and If I saw a new mum I went out of my way to say hi and not just let her stand awkwardly on her own. But it's hard not being accepted yet! I was a bit of a shopper back in the UK, it used to give me a buzz walking round the shops even if I didn't spend money. I can honestly say I hate shopping here. I get in and get out as quick as I can. I'm bored with the food, I seem to be buying the same stuff every week, and its expensive. Is your wife working? I'm not, now the kids are at school I will look for something short term. We live in Walkerston, just outside Mackay (couldn't find a rental in Mackay when we arrive). Walkerston is a very small place and not a lot happens. I could always meet up with your wife if she would like some company.

Hi Ste,

I don't often hear from people that live in Mackay. It makes me feel like there is something wrong with me at the school although I always try and put a happy face on. I hear that it can take a year to find friends etc! In the UK I always spoke to the other mums at the school and If I saw a new mum I went out of my way to say hi and not just let her stand awkwardly on her own. But it's hard not being accepted yet! I was a bit of a shopper back in the UK, it used to give me a buzz walking round the shops even if I didn't spend money. I can honestly say I hate shopping here. I get in and get out as quick as I can. I'm bored with the food, I seem to be buying the same stuff every week, and its expensive. Is your wife working? I'm not, now the kids are at school I will look for something short term. We live in Walkerston, just outside Mackay (couldn't find a rental in Mackay when we arrive). Walkerston is a very small place and not a lot happens. I could always meet up with your wife if she would like some company.

Hi Nikki

Just PM'd you.

Ste

Guest tlander56

For us I think it would be the want for family...we now have 3 young children and would love them to have their grandparents around.

Archived