Guest petmarchehol

Guest HelenaBooth
Things I miss and my reasons for going home

Friends and Family

A good old english pub with a nice roast dinner

proximity to Europe

Old Buildings

Rain - unbelievable but true!

The Tube and Londons public transport - living in Melbourne has made me appreciate that the system in the UK is actually pretty good

Match of the day

A sense of belonging

BBC - the constant adverts on TV really get me down.

Green green grass............

I hate all the darn advert on TV here also, about every 9 minutes!!!

I am not heading home to the UK, but that P*sses me offf!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest treesea

Mmm, that's one very civilised thing about Virgin Media over here, being able to record two programmes at once, while watching another recorded program and skipping all the ads. I do miss SBS in Australia though.

Guest lovediving
Maybe it's where you live in Australia? I know Gosford and the surrounding areas are nice, but to me, Gosford is the kind of place that, if you don't have a yacht and actually live on the water/harbour, could be pretty boring. What about trying out Sydney instead? Australian cities and towns are not the same as each other.

I came back to the UK because time was getting on, my children were still young at the time, and I knew if I left it, say, another five years, I never would. Also, I prefer cold weather to hot weather. It took us a while after we came back though, to find a place to live. Once you are used to a big city, with all the conveniences, as we were having lived in Sydney and Melbourne for many years, it takes a while to learn to live without all that. London, my home town, was out of the question. I was too used to living in the first world to put up with the third world living conditions that London suffers from nowadays. Air pollution so bad you can actually see it. The trains were so crowded, even at 3pm. And everything seemed so dilapidated. We then stayed in Cambridge and Manchester for a few months, before finally settling on Edinburgh. I got sick of the travelling in Melbourne. Here, we are ten minutes drive from everywhere, even from the local ski slopes and the airport.

My advice would be to stick it out until you have got your citizenship and until the recession in the UK is over. The number of companies going under over here at the moment is mind boggling. The Officers Club, Whittards and Zavvi are now all in administration, and that's just in the last 48 hours. Then there's Woolworths and MFI, both of which went bust in the last couple of weeks. JJB Sports chain is in trouble. Monsoon and Next reckon they are "barely holding on". If you have a job in Australia, it may be a good idea to stick it out and wait a bit.

I spoke to my brother in the UK this morning and he told me that every day hundreds of people are going under and the major stores are going into liquidation.

My god, I am trying to remember what bastards caused this recession in the first place was it the banks or America .......

Archived