Guest James.S

Guest NeilanGemz

Hi simon and deb

Thats right, which is why you need to go the vetassess route first (I've included that bit in my post above), then apply for the ATRC from TRA after you have obtained your visa

Are you going through the visa process?

Neil

Guest CKIRL

Best way to get the licence is thru' South Australia and then depending on where you go you can transfer it over. My advice is to contact Peer Tec in South Aust, they will send you the workbook and the wiring rules book as you have to answer 500 questions. Then when you arrive here you take the exam and with your ARTC and the wiring rules you will get an Australian Licence.

It's all a money racket over here to get the licence, it has nothing to do with standards

Guest NeilanGemz

Hi Simon

We're looking at Brisbane at the mo cos Gem has relatives there, not blood relative though unfortunately else family sponsored would've been on the cards :-(

I was looking at the peer route also spoke to them some months back and as long as nothing changes it seems like the best route, don't want to even consider being a trainee again after doing 12 years first part of which was an apprenticeship. Plus on the up side you get to see SA and Adelaide for a few weeks beofre you move on.

We're looking at the 175 route at the moment which I'm expecting to take a while but as I'm enrolled on an electrical engineering degree for another couple of years I'm not really fussed, would've tried for a 176 otherwise.

If anyone knows how long I can expect to wait for a 175 as general electrician would be appreciated should be applying after skills test next week so be nice to know timescales

Neil

Guest The Rustys

Hi there

Can anyone offer some advice?

OH is a Sparky with 20+years experience, he holds a current NZ practising licence - no limits (transferrable in QLD), is it worth him flying out to Brisbane/Gold Coast (from UK) to try and secure sponsorship?

We are getting no responses via email etc so thought this might be worth a try

Any advice would be great

Thanks

CSL list is being phased out and the new SOL list is due out in the next few weeks. At present General Electrician is on the recommended new list but who knows what the Aussie Government will do next. The next 6 weeks should be interesting - keeping fingers crossed

CSL list is being phased out and the new SOL list is due out in the next few weeks. At present General Electrician is on the recommended new list but who knows what the Aussie Government will do next. The next 6 weeks should be interesting - keeping fingers crossed

Thanks for that. Keep me posted

Guest chris_mac
was there much work going on?

Im a spark and live in Caloundra.. No work at all in Caloundra and very little decent work in the city... All companies are struggling...

Caloundra is a great place to live but a good 1.5 hours travel to the city... I work in Northgate (North Bris - Caloundra side) and it still takes over an hour to commute.

ps. Getting your A licence is nightmare and dont be fooled into thinking its easy. THERE ARE NO EASY ROUTES..

Sorry the post is a little negative but lets keep it real! Its not a bed of roses and be sure not to wear thoses rose tinted glasses when you get here.

Got the T Shirt!

However, if you do get here, eventually get your licence then secure a good job then you are laughing!

Good luck

Chris

Guest crash hot sparky

Hi Guys,

I went down the PEER route and completed the as3000 course this week. Just to let you know the PEER course is NOT the easy touch that most of us think it to be!, they have recently made the exam more involved , so if your doing the course by distance learning (which most of us do) don't just assume you can half arsedly breeze through the workbook and not study. The teachers at PEER really make you work for your pass mark. So just a quick heads up to anyone who is going to PEER make sure you are well prepared IT IS NOT JUST A CASE OF TURNING UP AND BEEN GIFTED THE EXAM PASS MARK!!!.

p.s. Everyone in the group thought it was alot harder than they had been lead to believe so it's not just me been dumb!

Guest CKIRL

I went to Peer about 4 weeks ago and it was a joke. They didn't check the workbook and any questions we got wrong he circled them a told us to correct them. There was seven in the class we all got the cert. you must have had a different instructor.

I am surprised by your comments. I haven't heard of anyone failing.

Guest crash hot sparky

Yeah i think it probably is down to the instructor that takes the course, the guy we had was strict but fair helping us along the way when needed with out actually giving answers (as you'd expect!). If you can fully answer the current carrying capacity , volt drop and maximum demand questions and feel confident about them then they shouldn't be many/any problems.

One guy was there who had been down the previous week to do the course to re-do a section of the exam so although they may give you another chance , just make sure you are well prepared as obviously visiting a second time to re-do part of the exam will cost extra airfares/hotels etc.

I also thought the 2391 was pretty easy as the 2381 16th and 17th . just trying to give people the heads up who are going down there. If you put the study into the workbook you'll be fine

Guest crash hot sparky

It seemed to me that if the instructor knows you've put the work in and you make all the right sounds in clas swith a genuine understanding of as3000 then they'll help you , which is how it should be.

Guest crash hot sparky

yeah thats true mate , as long as you study and can find you way through the regs you'll be fine. They're not the most organized bunch at PEER but friendly enough. Try to start the exam as early as possible so you have enough time to go get your licence if your planning on only staying in Adelaide for two days

Guest chris_mac

Lets not forget chaps that alot of sparks come from many different fields. One may be house bashing all his working career whereas the another may be only doing industrial motors. Sparky is such a small word for such a vast trade from design engineers to predominatly house bashers. Other than your apprenticeship and learning the trade in the classroom some of the sparks out there never do star/delta remote stop starts, likewise those who do maybe couldnt wire an intermediate switch in a hallway. Its not fair saying " if you cant do this or cant that" then you shouldnt be a spark. Such comments only contribute to the fears of those who havent and have to undertake the tests.

All of you have said that "Study study study" is the way forward. ABSOLUTELY! Those who dont know, ask! and post on here... We all can help each other.

Chris